Buffers Inside Rear Window Motor Gear

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ClassicWipers

Buffers Inside Rear Window Motor Gear

Post by ClassicWipers »

A customer asked me to replace the brushes and turn the armature on his '89 Grand Wagoneer rear window motor. The motor looks and runs amazing. The brushes were a unique size, but no issue. I decided to degrease, clean, and regrease the main gear. I noticed some slop between the metal "transmission" and the plastic gear. So, I separated them. Bit's of grease and shattered material fell out and scattered on my bench.

Does anyone know the size, shape, and material of these buffers? There are several other window motor gears available for sale with a similar set up, but I really don't want my customer's rear window to break because I misunderstood something.

Any help would be great. I called one reseller today, and they would not share with me on how they tackle this particular problem.

By the way, I believe the material is called delrin, as it's a hard plastic but it has some give, and will reform after a time.

Srdayflyer

Re: Buffers Inside Rear Window Motor Gear

Post by Srdayflyer »

if you are talking about the bump stops when the window is fully lowered inside the tailgate bj's offroad or team grand wagoneer has them

CJ7Pilot

Post by CJ7Pilot »

It seems to me those need to be 5/8" diameter.

Some people have cut pieces of dowel from various materials, and I even saw one person use pieces of PVC pipe.

I ordered some 3/4" rubber stoppers from Amazon, and trimmed them to fit using a razor knife.

Rubber might not last as long as PVC or UHMW, but it cushions well, and will probably out-last me.

Good luck!
Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

'78 Cherokee Chief
'82 Scrambler

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I reshaped some urethane bushings.

https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-kic ... ost2128913

If I did it again I'd make the OD bigger so they fit tighter. Whatever you use don't make it too solid. I think the critical thing is to cushion the motor/gears at the stops
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.