Cap and rotor

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
akguy09

Cap and rotor

Post by akguy09 »

The PO put the CRT performance cap/rotor and coil on my J10.

Just curious if that cap and rotor are the same as a Ford 460 looks the same to me. Seems like it’s the same parts as the TFI upgrade sort of

Thanks
Marc
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

tgreese

Re: Cap and rotor

Post by tgreese »

Yes. The Duraspark distributor AMC used was a Ford-derived part. AFAIK, the only difference between Ford and AMC distributor is the cast aluminum body that fits into the engine block and the distributor insertion distance, plus some internal stuff. AFAIK the Ford vacuum advance does not fit the AMC distributor.

I believe there is a Duraspark, and a Duraspark II. AMC used the Duraspark, but the Duraspark II service parts (cap, rotor) fit the Duraspark. IIRC the Duraspark II module changes from the Duraspark.

Ford developed the TFI parts, which replaced the regular Ford Duraspark distributor parts, for Duraspark II. These TFI parts were intended to upgrade the existing Ford Duraspark distributor, which AMC sourced from Ford/Motorcraft. AMC chose the outmoded Duraspark design for their engines, maybe because that's what Ford would sell as a commodity part. Ford chose to upgrade their vehicles to Duraspark II.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.