HUGE HUGE HUGE GOOD NEWS!!!!

Used for posting Land Use issues
Forum rules
This area is for posting land use issues ONLY. Please do not post internet rumors. Please list sources for the information posted.

Topic author
kurtuleas

HUGE HUGE HUGE GOOD NEWS!!!!

Post by kurtuleas »

:D :D :D :D

Rep. Paul Cook Offers Alternative Plan to Twentynine Palms Base Expansion | Congressman Paul Cook

WASHINGTON – Rep. Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley) issued the following statement in response to the U.S. Marine Corps’ proposal to expand the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, California:

“The training of the U.S. Marine Corps is vital to the safety of the American people, and the exercises taking place on the Twentynine Palms base enable our Marine forces to defend our nation and its allies throughout the world. However, I can’t support the expansion plan offered by the Marine Corps, which would hand them ownership of Johnson Valley. Marine Corps ownership would prevent many public-space activities, including big public off-highway events like King of the Hammers, from taking place. Offroaders and other users of Johnson Valley make huge contributions to the economic well-being of the Morongo Valley, and losing that revenue during slow economic times would be devastating.

“Protecting the Marine Corps’ budget is extremely important to me, and I believe the funds set aside for purchasing this land for the Marine Corps could be put to better use.

“Instead, I’m authoring a plan that would create the Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area and keep the land in the hands of the Bureau of Land Management. Marine training could still take place at specific times, but only with agreement by the Bureau of Land Management and only at times that would not interfere with the many off-highway motor vehicle events in the area.”

Rep. Cook’s proposal would withdraw the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) area for the purposes of recreation and military use and designate it as the Johnson Valley National OHV Recreational Area. The withdrawn area would be designated specifically for recreational uses, including but not limited to off-highway vehicle use, camping, and hiking. U.S. Marine Corps activities would be permitted to take place twice annually and could not include any explosives that could be left behind without detonating.

Cook continued, “For the sake of public safety, it’s essential to set a standard for the type of ordnance used in Johnson Valley. You have offroaders and hikers moving through there constantly. Nothing would be worse than a family coming across unexploded ordnance and having a deadly incident occur. That’s why my proposal limits military use to smaller arms.”

Cook’s proposal is scheduled to be presented next Friday, April 26, in the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation.

A member of the House Armed Services and Veterans’ Affairs Committees, Cook served as an infantry officer and retired after 26 years as a Colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps. During his time in combat, he was awarded the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.
CRAWL MAGAZINE

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: HUGE HUGE HUGE GOOD NEWS!!!!

Post by Stuka »

That is awesome! Thanks for the great news :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Thank you for the update. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

bigwheeler

Post by bigwheeler »

Fantastic stuff right there...

CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

I have served there and trained with the Marines in the field, so my thoughts are a little different. Training conducted there is important for our military gun fighters, ground troops and medical troops - all of which is used to protect our freedoms as Americans. Just some thoughts.
Captain Dennis Smith, U.S. Navy
*'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer w/GM LS 6.0 Vortec/4L80e/NP241c
*'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer stock trail rig
*74 AMC Javelin AMX w/360, 4-speed Hurst, over 450 hp monster!
*83 Jeep CJ7 engine swap (305/TH400,Dana300/Dana44s)

Engine swap build thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1011

Topic author
kurtuleas

Post by kurtuleas »

The gut reaction is of course....WHATEVER our troops need. But you need to know the bigger story. The expansion of 29 was based on a document written when the Marines were in falllujah fighting as a "2nd army" not as the spearhead force like they are supposed to be.

Since then there has been a task force review and the marines have gotten back to thier roots. Futhermore, the marines do not want to be seen as a second land army. They wouod lose funding becuase that's what our army is for. The marines have thier own niche. Look at who Cook is. 26 years in the USMC and this proposal is coming from him....
CRAWL MAGAZINE

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

CAPTSmith wrote:I have served there and trained with the Marines in the field, so my thoughts are a little different. Training conducted there is important for our military gun fighters, ground troops and medical troops - all of which is used to protect our freedoms as Americans. Just some thoughts.
I was a Marine, signed up when I was 17. The Marine corps did not need to purchase the land. Especially since they were only going to use it 1-2 times a year. The proposal will let them use it for training provided only small arms are used. This will let them do what they wanted, and let the Johnson Valley OHV be used for what it was originally intended to be used for. Public enjoyment.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Stuka wrote:
CAPTSmith wrote:I have served there and trained with the Marines in the field, so my thoughts are a little different. Training conducted there is important for our military gun fighters, ground troops and medical troops - all of which is used to protect our freedoms as Americans. Just some thoughts.
I was a Marine, signed up when I was 17. The Marine corps did not need to purchase the land. Especially since they were only going to use it 1-2 times a year. The proposal will let them use it for training provided only small arms are used. This will let them do what they wanted, and let the Johnson Valley OHV be used for what it was originally intended to be used for. Public enjoyment.
So Stuka was a good ole Devil Dog! Thank you for your service and Semper Fi!

CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

kurtuleas wrote:The gut reaction is of course....WHATEVER our troops need. But you need to know the bigger story. The expansion of 29 was based on a document written when the Marines were in falllujah fighting as a "2nd army" not as the spearhead force like they are supposed to be.

Since then there has been a task force review and the marines have gotten back to thier roots. Futhermore, the marines do not want to be seen as a second land army. They wouod lose funding becuase that's what our army is for. The marines have thier own niche. Look at who Cook is. 26 years in the USMC and this proposal is coming from him....

That makes sense now that I'm hearing the 'rest of the story'. Now I would agree with you, let the public enjoy the land. While there, serving with the Marines, I did enjoy taking out the Humvee 4x4 and playing in the sand or doing "official training"! :-bd