Steel Wheel Options

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Sargeant Cranky

Steel Wheel Options

Post by Sargeant Cranky »

Hi Gang!,

I have a 1972 J2000 with 258ci, 3 speed manual, no power nuthin. Im making great progress bringing it back to the road, but I discovered that my 50 year old steel wheels are showing rusty signs of not being salvageable.

My goal is a very standard , basic truck with the regular bias ply truck tires. NOW, what are my replacement options???

5 lug, full time 4WD so no locking hubs. Any Ideas???
Old trucks are like old women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.

tgreese

Re: Steel Wheel Options

Post by tgreese »

Can't be full time and a '72. Full time did not exist for '72. I think you have something other than a '72 or have your terms mixed up.

You want junkyard wheels or aftermarket? Width and diameter? Plenty of aftermarket options though they won't look like factory wheels.

Any Jeep prior to '74 other than the heavy GVWR pickups with 8 lugs will have compatible 5-lug wheels. CJ wheels through '86 will work too.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Sargeant Cranky

you are absolutely correct. I do have a Manual transfer case, I meant that I did not have lockable hubs, as in :yes" they are always engaged.

Im looking for , what to look for, as in what 5x5.5 should I be on the lookout for? Ford 4WD trucks, Dodge, or maybe a newer jeep? I should have said what should I avoid because of the offset.

I too have a low optioned truck, radio delete, no PS, no PB, 258 3spd on floor. Looking to stay stock.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Those wheels are available aftermarket. Here's an example from Wheel Vintiques. The hub pilot (hole in the center) would need to be verified that it is large enough, but based on my fading memory these fit. These are 7" wide but I know there are 6" wide available from other vendors.

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/all-whee ... space.html
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Sargeant Cranky

thank you

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Prior to 1974, locking hubs were aftermarket only. Not relevant - they don't change anything regarding the wheels. Prior to '74, Jeep did not see the need for them and did not offer them; dealer or owner installed only. Nothing changed in '74, except that Jeep decided they would make more money on Jeep sales by offering this popular accessory from the factory.

You need wheels with the right bolt pattern, right back spacing and large enough center hole. Ford F100 wheels will work if you cut the center hole larger, and wheel builders in the '70s used the Ford centers for sand buggy wheels and such. Jeep wheels have more steel in the center hole, and the cut-out Ford centers often cracked between the center and bolt holes.

Why are you unhappy with the wheels you have? Unless they were cracked or bent untrue, I'd have the tire shop unmount them, take them for media blast, paint, remount and be proud. OEM steel Jeep wheels are tough.

Not sure what you expect as a reply. Nobody has an list somewhere of wheels that are applicable to your Jeep. There are other mfrs that used the 5 on 5.5 pattern, but I expect none or few will fit over the hubs, or the backspacing will be wrong. Some J-trucks came with 16s, and those wheels are even more scarce and in demand than the 15s like the CJs used. I suggested above Jeep 15" wheels which you might use.
Last edited by tgreese on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You can buy junkyard wheels that will work. Go to car-part.com and search for steel wheels to a 1976 CJ-5. No difference between a CJ 15 and a '72 J-truck 15 in that era. I found several offers in your area, typical price $35. Or try the WTB forum here or on other Jeep forums. Factory steel 15s are 6" wide - I'd only go aftermarket if I wanted to go wider.

I'd fix what I had though.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Sargeant Cranky

Thank you for the background information tgrease, I can never have enough product knowledge and I am a severe newb in the 4WD jeep world. Ive been deep in Italian motorcycles and British cars, with some overlap back and forth, so everything I learn about jeeps is a good thing.

What I was looking for,....is that in the Moto Guzzi, Alfa Romeo, MG, Triumph world, there is always some "Common Knowledge" about what is a direct fit when big parts houses fail you. So yes, thats exactly what I was looking for, Ford wheels are almost direct, but there is no real EZ Solution outside of OEM or RePOP.

I was 100% going to sandblast and repaint my stockers, I noticed one of mine was rusted all the way through and the bead/lip was deteriorating . I have received my answer...replica stockers or junkyards. I will purchase RePop wheels rather than go down the Facebook marketplace rabbit hole of "I think these will fit"

Please consider my question answered and I hope to see you boys out there in Jeep Land.
Note: Im getting this truck ready for a move to Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Going down there for a couple years, when I return Im hoping to have a fine fine truck.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

The Cuban’s are masters of building nice stuff from nothing, they will be a great resource. Good luck in your travels and work.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909