83 Cherokee resto-mod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Mopar_guy

Re: 83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Mopar_guy »

Good job. Absolutely the details count. I'm glad to see you're thinking about serviceability. Most guys don't and when the vehicle needs worked on, they find out the hard way that they didn't plan ahead.
Just an FYI on your hydroboost, if you start hearing a whining noise from the steering inside the cab, but not under the hood, and you're positive that there's no air in the hydraulic system, the hose from the pump to the booster is what's causing it. I went thru this on my car and it drove me crazy for 3 years until Jeff, from Turn One steering, where my pump came from figured it out. I replaced the pressure hose from the pump to the booster with one from a Chevy truck and the noise was gone. The hydraulic hose is so stiff that it acts like a hard line where the OE hose is much softer, so it acts like a damper to dampen the pulses from the pump. That's the sound you're hearing. I thought I would pass it along in case you, or someone else has this issue. It's very common in hydroboost swaps because most of us use hydraulic hose. My brothers truck did the same thing and a OE style hose fixed it too. Keep up the good work.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Mopar_guy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:30 am
<snip>

Just an FYI on your hydroboost, if you start hearing a whining noise from the steering inside the cab, but not under the hood, and you're positive that there's no air in the hydraulic system, the hose from the pump to the booster is what's causing it. I went thru this on my car and it drove me crazy for 3 years until Jeff, from Turn One steering, where my pump came from figured it out. I replaced the pressure hose from the pump to the booster with one from a Chevy truck and the noise was gone.

<snip>
Thanks for the hydroboost tip. I wIll definitely file that one away for future reference in case I have any issues. I'm want as much as possible to mitigate unwanted squeaks, rattles, whines and generally annoying noises.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Jevman

Post by Jevman »

That is good Info, when mine is done I will be looking for all the things that drive you crazy and this is one that won't be there! Your Build is looking Great!
78 Cherokee Chief W/T, 4" lift, 35x12.5R17 BFG TA's KO2's, 401, 700r4, Atlas II 3.0:1, 4.56, Pro Flow 4, CVF Serpentine System, E-Locker front, True Trac rear, Dakota Digital, Hydroboost Power Steering and Brake System, rear wheel disc conversion, E-Stopp Elec Brake Systm.