Tires and efficiency

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
sierrablue

Tires and efficiency

Post by sierrablue »

Channel I follow on YouTube has a really cool new video, and I like that they point out that this applies to EVERYTHING, not just EVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhC2mDOiBA

I'm not terribly shocked by the order of the tires, but I am surprised at how big the range is in efficiency between mud terrains and all seasons.

Makes me feel better about having gone with performance all seasons on my Jeep--they haven't let me get stuck yet and I've buried it up to the top of the tires before, yet they still have a relatively low rolling resistance...and are 3 peaks snow rated :-bd

I just thought it was cool to see the difference and that somebody actually finally tested it.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Tires and efficiency

Post by Stuka »

Trepadors are going to be significantly worse than many other mud tires. A tire like the Baja Boss MT has significantly less rolling resistance than the Treps. Measuring efficiency with an EV is going to be far more accurate than with an ICE powered vehicle. But the principal translates over to any vehicle, regardless of what type of energy it uses.

I just put Baja Boss AT's on my JK, and they are fantastic. 3 peak snow rated, still good in mud, but also very quiet on the street with pretty low rolling resistance compared to some other tires with similar aggressiveness.

I remember when I put Super Swamper TSL's on my Cherokee (bias ply), even though they were the same size as the Radial Cooper STT's I had at the time, it was like I lost 20% of the Jeeps power because their rolling resistance was so high.

Tire tech as come a long way. And modern AT and MT tires drive significantly better than old ones.

But unless you are offroad all the time, and in terrain that requires an MT, an AT or hybrid is going to be a far better choice.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ