1966-68

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Majikat

1966-68

Post by Majikat »

Hi everyone,
Newbie here although have been around on the IH
Forum & the Jeep Commander forum for awhile, yes I'm an IH guy with a 78 Scout, and a 2009 Jeep Commander and for at least 25 years I've always wanted an FSJ Wagoneer but they are a bit scarce here in Western Australia
Anyways this guy has offered me an early model Wagoneer he said it was imported here in 1968 but is believed to be a 1966 model as it has a gladiator grill and overhead cam Six motor with 3 speed floorshift gbox
It seems to be in reasonable shape although not running or registered, basically I really don't know much about these except I like it very much, So can anyone here offer any advice?
Tell me I'm crazy, don't even consider it, what are the weak spots or common rust areas? Etc etc. What Diffs do these things have? Would an LS swap be out of the question?... As you can guess me already being a Scout & Jeep owner I'm not RICH $$$ Do I need to see a Doctor?
Cheers Brad.

Sent from my HMA-L09 using Tapatalk

tgreese

Re: 1966-68

Post by tgreese »

Hi Brad - likely your question would get more attention in "General FSJ."

Australia. The OHC engine was gone by 1966 in the USA. It was not well loved, with lots of problems. This Jeep likely has a Borg-Warner T-90 transmission, Dana 20 transfer case. Rear axle a Dana 44 with 2-piece tapered axles. Front axle a closed-knuckle Dana 27. Terribly dated components in these days.

An LS swap has been done a lot here in the states. A complete drivetrain swap would be likely. Not much worth saving; all would be scrapped or sold as parts. The other option is to restore to original condition, but then it's like any other antique car - weekend cruises and car shows. Even then, parts for these early models are not plentiful here. Here in the USA, you'd get much more to work with if you start with a '74 or newer model. Lots of drivetrain upgrades; modern engines and axles, power disk brakes, stronger/better transmissions, and close to the same appearance.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Majikat

Post by Majikat »

Well thank you so much for all that info, just what I wanted to hear, I think I pretty much guessed most of what you said, so it's probably not what I really need right now as my Scout is in need of a lot of work also, but it sad to see it go to scrap!
I'm a sucker for the Gladiator grill and he 8s only asking 4 grand for this Wagoneer!

Sent from my HMA-L09 using Tapatalk

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

NP - glad if it helps.

That's AUD ... ca $2500 USD. Too much IMO unless it has insignificant rust and is running and driving. And you were happy with it in factory trim. Scarcity is an issue there, but still ... you could hardly give these away in the 70s. Because of their low purchase price and the 230 OHC, many got the Chevy or Ford V8 conversion at only a decade or two of age. The 230 or 250 Chevy or 250/4.1L Ford inline six is a better fit and more suitable with the factory running gear and tire size, IMO. Lots of Falcon donors there ...

Just me ... in that locale, I'd look for a J40 Land Cruiser to restore. A good one commands a very high price here in the States.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Majikat

Post by Majikat »

tgreese wrote:NP - glad if it helps.

That's AUD ... ca $2500 USD. Too much IMO unless it has insignificant rust and is running and driving. And you were happy with it in factory trim. Scarcity is an issue there, but still ... you could hardly give these away in the 70s. Because of their low purchase price and the 230 OHC, many got the Chevy or Ford V8 conversion at only a decade or two of age. The 230 or 250 Chevy or 250/4.1L Ford inline six is a better fit and more suitable with the factory running gear and tire size, IMO. Lots of Falcon donors there ...

Just me ... in that locale, I'd look for a J40 Land Cruiser to restore. A good one commands a very high price here in the States.
Yes you are right
The FJ4 is like gold here in Oz as well, they were thrashed and bashed, cutup cut down fishing on beaches salt water etc etc, not many left anymore!

Sent from my CPH2343 using Tapatalk

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome From Phoenix! I can't help with drive train swap questions. Mine have all been the AMC era with either the 360 or 401. If you really like it I say go for it and make it work. Even a chevy 350 swap isn't out of the possibilities.

Or maybe a Ford Cleveland? Just kidding, but I know you folks do like your fords too!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge