Power Steering for 1965 Kaiser-Jeep FSJ

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Drew

Power Steering for 1965 Kaiser-Jeep FSJ

Post by Drew »

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1965 FSJ. It's a dream car but due to the lay out of my house/driveway I could really benefit from power steering.

Does anyone have ideas or resources that can point me in the direction of how add power steering?

Kindly,
Drew
Ojai, CA
Drew
1965 Kaiser-Jeep FSJ
Ojai, CA

Harry Dawg

Re: Power Steering for 1965 Kaiser-Jeep FSJ

Post by Harry Dawg »

Hey Drew.
I am in a similar boat as you, but with a '68 model.
From what I have read, you will need the following for the power steering conversion
1) Saginaw box - will require cutting the subframe to clear the larger gear box.
2) Box mounting brackets - I have heard these differ through the years and you may need to drill new bolt holes into your frame
3) Power Steering pump - Not sure on the specifics of this just yet, but I believe this is the one you will need. At least for a 327 which is the V8 that came in these early J trucks - https://www.ebay.com/itm/114327167088
4) Power Steering Pump Bracket - I am guessing you either have the 327 like mine, or the Tornado inline 6.
Which one you need will depend on engine configuration.
I will look at my TSM and see if I can dig up any more good info after work.
I haven't done this swap yet, so I am just giving bringing you up to speed on the research I have done.
There is a guy who goes by the handle 44BZ that I would love to consult on this swap.
I wonder if he is still around.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Topic author
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thank you Harry. Keep me in the loop as you start your project. I'm going to similarly consult with a guy and I'll share what he says as well.
Harry Dawg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:11 am Hey Drew.
I am in a similar boat as you, but with a '68 model.
From what I have read, you will need the following for the power steering conversion
1) Saginaw box - will require cutting the subframe to clear the larger gear box.
2) Box mounting brackets - I have heard these differ through the years and you may need to drill new bolt holes into your frame
3) Power Steering pump - Not sure on the specifics of this just yet, but I believe this is the one you will need. At least for a 327 which is the V8 that came in these early J trucks - https://www.ebay.com/itm/114327167088
4) Power Steering Pump Bracket - I am guessing you either have the 327 like mine, or the Tornado inline 6.
Which one you need will depend on engine configuration.
I will look at my TSM and see if I can dig up any more good info after work.
I haven't done this swap yet, so I am just giving bringing you up to speed on the research I have done.
There is a guy who goes by the handle 44BZ that I would love to consult on this swap.
I wonder if he is still around.
Drew
1965 Kaiser-Jeep FSJ
Ojai, CA

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would guess using as many parts from a later truck or wagon with power steering would be the way to go. I presume your '65 has the AMC 327, and that uses an Eaton power steering pump as I recall. SHould be compatible with the later power steering gears, if you can find the pump and brackets. I predict there will be zero aftermarket support for any of this stuff, aside from what you might need for routine maintenance. You might try the AMC car guys, but they typically value their spares much higher than us Jeep owners do.

There are Jeep junkyards - Jakes in NC (?), Montana Overland, J&W in CA. Any wrecks or pick-and-pull vehicles you might find. You might be able to locate wrecks through car-part.com if you search for common/valuable components like maybe engines and transmissions? Find the hulk and go look at it. Follow the parts forums here and at IFSJA.

At some point, Jeep changed from the Ross steering gear on these vehicles to the Saginaw (GM) gears. I would guess that was in '65, when they discontinued the the 230 models and replaced them with the 232 and 327. There is a parts book at the Tom Collins site https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html - '62-73 J-series - should help you a lot. Suggest you download it and look at it on your desktop, since you will need to do a lot of flipping back and forth between the plates (illustrations) and the listings.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Update on this topic.

I installed power steering in my J3000 using factory parts. The Saginaw box fit right in and did not require cutting of the frame. For the GM box, this may still be the case. I was also able to utilize the original non power steering shaft and rag joint.

Pump bolted right up to the block.

Only PITA was lining the gear box bolt holes up with the frame.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

'65 could be the V-8 or the Tornado I-6, right?

If it's the V-8 then everything Saginaw should work fine, as the others were saying. If it's the I-6, then things might get interesting...those have a totally different steering setup due to their timing cover motor mounts. I haven't found a lot of resources on power steering for those.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Yeah.
The Tornado I-6 is totally different. My TSM actually covers it in detail.
This setup utilizes a control valve mounted on the steering arm and a hydraulic ram.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Ford did a very similar system on some vehicles in the 60’s and early 70’s. The first hydraulic assist system Inbuilt in the late 90’s used a cylinder off of a Ford pickup. That same system is still used in some race cars today. Sweet manufacturing still makes the valve that goes in the steering shaft.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909