BJ's 4" lift install, shackle issue

Modified FSJ Tech Area

SJTD

Re: BJ's 4" lift install, shackle issue

Post by SJTD »

Prolly so. Easy enough to check with a tape measure.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Dressmaker's tape like this is handy for your toolbox https://www.amazon.com/BSLINO-Tape-Doub ... B01CCL81PU

Yes, the top leaf has to be at least as long as the original, even with the higher arch. Tape.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
blueday

Post by blueday »

I'll try to get a measurement on the front deaver springs vs stock springs this weekend.

I moved onto the rears Sunday. Things went pretty smooth but now it appears I need loosen the sleeves on my e-brake cables because they're too short to move axle back to new spring bolt position. I did loosen the actual cable adjustments and even disconnected them but it's the sleeve that's keeping the axle from moving back. I do see bj's sells some extended e-brake cables/sleeves for the 4-6" lifts. Sure would've been nice if this was a part of the kit and or instructions mention how to resolve this. Part of my annoyance is I just rebuilt the rear drum brakes about 6 weeks ago and now I might have to pull apart to get cable back in there. I did do a search and it appears a few have come across this problem too.

If I have to order longer cables, then I guess I'll cut them for now because I'm having a shop install gears, lockers and rebuild axles in a few weeks.

Ryan

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

These guys don't tell you everything ... else you might not buy their product.
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

BluedayGW

Post by BluedayGW »

I had to create a new account, I couldn't recover when I switched phones and mods won't respond to emails so oh well.

Finally....the lift is mostly complete, I still have to route new axle vent tubes and center up steering wheel. Concerning the ebrake cable length for future reference. I dropped the tank (had to anyways for rear spring bolt/nut) and pulled ebrake sleeve clips and set everything in place. From there I just added a new clamp to hold the sleeves in place and moved on. I could've spent the time cutting out old brackets or made new and welding them to give me enough slack.

While here just about everything got replaced from master cylinder, brake boosters, calipers, rotors, rear brake pads (spring kit too), new steering/drag links, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, replaced diff fluid (soon to get gears and lockers), new track bar bushings, shackle bushings. BJ's kit came with new brake lines, sway bar end links (disconnects) drop pitman arm, track bar extensions, procomp shocks and steering damper. I'm sure I'm missing a few small items. Trans pan was also leaking so it got replaced too. Took a bit of time

I'll off to the alignment shop either this week or next when I get a moment. Sits a little higher than I expected in the front, I may add a small block to the rear if needed after the front settles.

and here's the final pictures for anyone curious what a grand wagoneer looks like on the 4" bj's lift with deaver springs.

on bj's springs

raised rear 1.5" w/jack

raised rear 2" w/jack

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Truck looks great! IMO it looks just right. 😎
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I like it!

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

How's the ride?
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

why_rick

Post by why_rick »

looks great! Hoping to eventually do similar.
Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice

77 Cherokee Chief Wide Track Levi Edition, stock 360 (for now)
65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

BluedayGW

Post by BluedayGW »

OldFarmTruck22 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 am How's the ride?
That's going to be hard for me to answer. I bought it not running, tires rotted out and suspension very worn (180k miles, nothing suspension wise looked like it was replaced). Most I had driven it was around the neighborhood at maybe 35mph. I can tell you it feels similar to the factory springs (at least on the smooth roads in my neighborhood). It does seem like it'll be stiff BUT i really can't compare to factory setup since I've never actually driven it much around town.

Ryan