Parts haul from JY.. should i Keep for my 90 or sell ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Parts haul from JY.. should i Keep for my 90 or sell ?

Post by candymancan »

Found a 88 GW recently.. got everything i needed or worth value.

And this Jeep amazingly had its original cordovan cargo cover and the Marchal Fog lights. Both of which my 90 didnt have.

I installed chrome aftermarket fogs on my 90 6 years ago but theyre rusting now. Work fine though. And the cargo cover i have is a cover from a 89 Tan interior GW.. that melted from a fire.

My gf is good at sewing so we removed the melted vinyl/leather. And stitched and installed a new vinyl cover on it. I fixed the apring and it works and looks great. Although it does have the tan mounting corners .

What do you guys think. Put them on my 90 ? Or sell... the marchals sell for 200+ and cargo covers. I have sold for 400$. Sold a cordovan one prior.. got greedy and wanted the money.

But with this new one.. i dunno maybe i should put the originals on to increase value of my own Jeep ? Not that ima sell it but ya.

Opinions ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

devildog80

Re: Parts haul from JY.. should i Keep for my 90 or sell ?

Post by devildog80 »

Reading how much you love your truck, it sounds like you want the original color to match, so I would opt to suggest changing mounts so truck matches and sell the odd ones :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Do you think the odd cargo cover would sell ? Its an (original) it just has cordovan vinyl from Joans fabric on tan ends. Since it isnt 100% original but rebuilt basically. Obviously wont sell for 400 like the original original i found.. but maybe someone would want this redone one that works ?

Maybe ur right. I should keep the better parts for my Jeep and stop selling them.

What about the marchal fogs ? One has a cracked lense. But they are larger and originals. And not rusting like my cheap chinese ones hah

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Fogs - Find new LED of similar size and go with it.
I want my '84 GW to look authentic too, but most average buyers would rather have some functional updates, instead of things that look old.
Same with cargo cover. It will sell, but do not think the average buyer would even care if it was there, as that stuff seems more important to us as current owners, than someone just wanting a 4x4 rig that looks cool at the mall.
Candymancan, I can really appreciate your builds on your rigs. Nice to see another owner that appreciates these trucks for how they were built and function, and not for how best to modernize them with EFI, bluetooth stereo, or worry about spending 12k on a new engine/drivetrain to get 5 mpg better than they were factory.
Gotta love them as they are :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well the thing with led, is bulbs can simply be swapped.. the reflector design is diff yes.. but I am a fan of old lighting another hobby of mine are HID street lights.. mercury vapor and High oressure aodium

I live on 14 acres.. and i installed mercury vapor and hps all over my barn.. the utolity piles.. and trees to see.. Yea the electric bill is a tad higher.. but i dislike led.

Its blinding.. glaring.. and gets in your eyes.

My wagoneer has a roof rack i installed with 5 round Kc style lights. And 2 round kc style on the brush guard. All 7 are 100w halogens. I upgraded my alternator.. and wired in relays and fuses.. and power distribution and ground center and thick gauge wire for it all. I have enough juice to power even the 120w halogens if i wanted. All 7 120w halogens. Two 55w fogs.. and the 65w headlamps.. and never have any power issues.
My rig is wired very old school.

If i need light.. I got it lol trust me i can see evdrything hah.. Yes led light bars are neat. Brighter than what i have. But they look odd in these Jeeps. I also dont like all these ligjt bars and led lights.. all chinese made.. all lying sbiut wattage used.. Yes they will say (ewuivalent) too this halogen.. but they will also say.. well this light bar is 100w. But if you check.. its like 40.. its big lie

The led square headlights.. look very off in my ZJ and FSJ.

But LED bulbs can be put in.. the ZJ i kept the stock housings and put in LED headlight bulbs in. Drasticly brighter.. and yes i adjusted my headlights down a tad to not blind ppl.

I could do this to my round KC style beams and the fog as well. Its litterally just a swapped bulb if i wanted. Only leds i do have on my the wagoneer. Are interior.. the factory dome lights.. SUCK. I wanna see. And i also installed 4 small square led lights on the 4 corners of my roof rack i installed... but again they claim 25w.. but they use like 8w.. so theyre (adequate) but tbh theyre wayy dimmer than if i had installed regular rectangle fog halogens.. So i have 360 degree lighting. And i also install two FLAT leds under my rear bumper. Tied into reverse so it lights the entire pavement like 15 feet behind me up. Along with my backup camera.. Helps immensly.

So i have new stuff. But for headlights.. fogs.. I honestly find the stock wagoneer headlights.. very adequate.. if i need more umph. I turn the two 100w kc style on the brush guard on.

But thats my opinion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Nice work you have there.
Are you part of some Search & Rescue Team? They sure could use you for night work :)

Also, what roof rack do you have and did you mount it to the factory rails?
Looking for one so asking.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

devildog80 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:43 am Nice work you have there.
Are you part of some Search & Rescue Team? They sure could use you for night work :)

Also, what roof rack do you have and did you mount it to the factory rails?
Looking for one so asking.

There have been three occasions these lights helped. One when we moved into our 14 acre property the septic tank had to be fixed. And it got dark and the lights on the little backhoe werent enough. I parked my Jeep there and for 2 hours they finished the tank in the dark.

2nd time i was outside working on a lightpost and well it got dark and my Lights pointed up helped a lot for me to finish.

3rd time when i picked up my J10 ON A FLATBED UHAUL. I got to the guys house 4 hours late to me breaking down. (Ignition coil) and when i got there it was 9pm pitch black.. he had no ligjts on the property.. my lights on my Jeep especially the side and rear lights helped us do thr bill of sale. And the loading of the Jeep on the bed. As well as finding and loading the brush guard and tailgate and bumpers.

So honestly yea theyre handy. Living out in the country driving on tje back roads it helps for deer too.

As for the roof rack. Yes it bolts up to the existing rack. This is what i have. When you put it tigether use silicone in the rubber grommets and paint inside the rails. So it wont rust. Been on like 4 years now and its still in great shape. To mount the lights. I just cut that wind deflector enough to mount em on with little P shaped mounts you find on amazon.

Ive had 3 5gal gas cans on the roof and other luggage and it held fine. Didnt even support my old rack. Probably should but its been fine. Good ol amazon has like 30 diff brands for this style thanks to the chinese. But you get the idea.

The mounting points are endless on this rack. I also wired up a backup camera to it piinting down. Ran the wire through the squirt nozzle hole on the pillar dirrctly to the reverse lights. Its a wireless backup cam and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WWGGYMG/re ... GhlbWF0aWM

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Thanks for the info.
And a wireless backup cam that you had to wire into the backup lights?
Where did you find that?
Was talking to the wife about how tall our GW sits, and thought of putting a backup alarm on it.....at least, but a camera would assist this old farm boy when hooking up trailers and such.
Not looking to modernize my rig too much, but that would be a nice safety feature for sure.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

This is the camera i use. Havent had sn issue with it. The camera wire just wires into the reverse light power wire. So when you hit reverse it powers the camera to turn on.

You could also wire it to a perm 12v wire so you hsve a camera back there on at all times. Im thinking of doing that to mine

The monitor suctions to your windshield and it need a 12v power source like your cigaret lighter. But that cig ligjter isnt enough power that thing will cause a fire if you use it for phones etc Youll need to wire a 12v power adapter to a 12v ignition wire.. aka wire that gets power when the key is turned.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Digital- ... 0aWM&psc=1.

This is the panel for the light switchs and 12v power adapter and it has a digital voltage gauge which i love over the stock gauge on the cluster. You dont need a panel like this since you hsve no off road lights ? But they sell these seperate im just linking it so you get the idea.

You csn easily see my ball on my hitch and a fire extinguisher i put behind it. Helps immensly when backing up with tinted windows too especially at night. I also installed reverse LED lights under my rear bumper. Hit reverse and they come on lighting the pavement behind me like 15 feet out.

Nothing wrong with (modernizing) the fsj if the stuff you add is safety like i did eith the backup lights and camera.. i also added amber turn signals in the rear. I hate red turn signals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM4MLTSV/re ... p13NParams

Here are the reverse lights

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Slim-Singl ... C91&sr=8-4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

I like those mods you did, but in AZ summers the suction cups to the inside glass do not last long. Modify for a hard mount is easy enough to McGiver together something.
My headliner is currently out so could run wiring up and ceiling mount with new tongue & groove pine I plan to put up.
And top rack says 200 lbs capacity, but most of what I intend to put up there will not meet that weight. But if rack is mounted to factory rack, then that capacity must be met to prevent damage to the factory rails, mounts, etc.
Did you get a cargo web to throw over everything you intend to haul up there or just tie it on with ratchet straps?

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ratchsts and a web. My ZJs came with cargo webs with clips. I jist use those