Anybody Reload?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
bwwhaler

Anybody Reload?

Post by bwwhaler »

With the major shortage of ammunition, I believe it is time for me to start reloading...since I am new to it, I was wondering if anybody out here does it and what are some tips for beginners?
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

AwesomeJ10

Re: Anybody Reload?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I don't reload.

But I've heard from several buddies that they can't even find the consumables to reload with....

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

I have for years. There are many things to consider if you choose to reload your own shells. First is to read, read and then read some more. Buy a quality reloaders guide and study it. Make no substitutions in the "recipes", follow your die manufacturers instructions implicitly, and one of the biggies in my book is to set your reloading equipment up where you can reload without distraction.

I have a dedicated bench where nothing but reloading, sizing, trimming and such takes place. Keep it clean and organized. You want to do everything possible to avoid misconstructed cartridges. A double load is very dangerous as is a squib load. If you can understand the process, set a routine and can process components without distraction you can find a lot of satisfaction in loading your own ammo.

And one of the best things is, after you become competent in the process you can begin to experiment with different powders, charges, projectile types and weights, etc and fine tune your cartridge to your firearm. It can make for big accuracy improvements.

As Blake said, components tend to get expensive and/or dry up as the political climate ebbs and flows. The key is to buy when available to what your budget will allow.

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

ScottsMojo wrote:I have for years. There are many things to consider if you choose to reload your own shells. First is to read, read and then read some more. Buy a quality reloaders guide and study it. Make no substitutions in the "recipes", follow your die manufacturers instructions implicitly, and one of the biggies in my book is to set your reloading equipment up where you can reload without distraction.

I have a dedicated bench where nothing but reloading, sizing, trimming and such takes place. Keep it clean and organized. You want to do everything possible to avoid misconstructed cartridges. A double load is very dangerous as is a squib load. If you can understand the process, set a routine and can process components without distraction you can find a lot of satisfaction in loading your own ammo.

And one of the best things is, after you become competent in the process you can begin to experiment with different powders, charges, projectile types and weights, etc and fine tune your cartridge to your firearm. It can make for big accuracy improvements.

As Blake said, components tend to get expensive and/or dry up as the political climate ebbs and flows. The key is to buy when available to what your budget will allow.
x2 on the above. I have an entire building that is mostly dedicated to reloading. Right now the consumables and even equipment can be difficult to get. A few years ago you could save some money reloading. It really is not so much cost savings anymore but rather getting what you want.

What are you thinking about reloading? It is very different pistol vs rifle.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Topic author
bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

I am looking at reloading rifle rounds right now, 8mm Mauser, 30.06 Springfield, the Mauser ammo is hard to find now...well, just about anything is hard to find right now. I have a lot of handguns to and would like to try reloading them also eventually. I am looking at a rcbs rockchunker single stage kit, I believe I would enjoy doing it and would like for all my kids to learn to shoot all different guns, I believe that is important for Americans.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

After today they are already screaming about taking away all sources of sulphur
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

bwwhaler wrote:I am looking at reloading rifle rounds right now, 8mm Mauser, 30.06 Springfield, the Mauser ammo is hard to find now...well, just about anything is hard to find right now. I have a lot of handguns to and would like to try reloading them also eventually. I am looking at a rcbs rockchunker single stage kit, I believe I would enjoy doing it and would like for all my kids to learn to shoot all different guns, I believe that is important for Americans.
RCBS makes solid stuff. I have a Rockchucker and its all you will ever need. I use a Rockchucker for all my rifle rounds, and A Dillon Square Deal for pistol rounds. Personally I think there is too much at stake to trust high power rounds to a progessive press, but I am sure there are others out there that will disagree, and thats just fine. It won't hurt my feelings or change my mind. But at the same time Dillon makes some killer high power progressive systems and I have seen them work and they are awesome. Just outside my budget and comfort zone...

I am a huge fan of the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge. Excellent ballistics can be had with some incredible stopping power from a fairly small cartridge. I lost three of those rifles in a boating accident, one of which with a tailored load would shoot 1/4" groups all day long. :mrgreen:
carnuck wrote:After today they are already screaming about taking away all sources of sulphur
I'm sure black pipe is on that same list too... Along with alarm clocks and watch batteries... :(

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I literally just recieved my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading kit from Brownell's. It was on sale for $299 and I got a $50 mail-in rebate. Not too shabby. I also purchase the .223 Remington dies at the same time and plan to also reload .40sw and 9mm luger. I will be moving into a new house at the beginning of June so I have not set it up yet. I figured I would wait until after the move. I bought this kit because of the reviews and the price. From what I understand it is the best bang for the buck.

What is everyone using for case cleaning? Some of my brass is showing discoloration.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

ClovisMan wrote:I literally just recieved my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading kit from Brownell's. It was on sale for $299 and I got a $50 mail-in rebate. Not too shabby. I also purchase the .223 Remington dies at the same time and plan to also reload .40sw and 9mm luger. I will be moving into a new house at the beginning of June so I have not set it up yet. I figured I would wait until after the move. I bought this kit because of the reviews and the price. From what I understand it is the best bang for the buck.

What is everyone using for case cleaning? Some of my brass is showing discoloration.
Thats a good price for that kit, and $50 rebate is really nice! I use a brass tumbler, dont remember the brand with corncob media for most cleaning chores. Walnut media can be used if the brass is really dirty. Case cleaning solution can be used with the media, there are many different brands out there,. I don't have a particular one I would recommend, they all seem to work about the same.

Mars

Post by Mars »

carnuck wrote:After today they are already screaming about taking away all sources of sulphur
Yeah, didn't see that one coming.. cause y'know that works :P
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Topic author
bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

ClovisMan wrote:I literally just recieved my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading kit from Brownell's. It was on sale for $299 and I got a $50 mail-in rebate. Not too shabby. I also purchase the .223 Remington dies at the same time and plan to also reload .40sw and 9mm luger. I will be moving into a new house at the beginning of June so I have not set it up yet. I figured I would wait until after the move. I bought this kit because of the reviews and the price. From what I understand it is the best bang for the buck.

Wow, thanks for the info, I guess I'm not the only one thinking this is a decent solution to ammo problems, now if I can just get the other supplies needed, I hear primers and powder are kind of scarce as well... Darn, they're sold out, oh well, just have to keep looking.

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

For cleaning I use the standard reloading vibrating "tumbler" with corn cob media. Don't buy the high price "brass cleaning" stuff. Go to Walmart and buy Nu Finish in the car wax section (it's in an Orange bottle). Best thing I've ever tried and much cheaper.
I still see surplus 8mm at decent prices although not a cheap as a couple of years ago. Prob much cheaper than you can reload. Single stage is the way to go at first. Learn to be exact in each step. Learn about what is going on and why is needs to be done. If you are going to load a lot of pistol rounds a progressive is not a bad... just a lot going on in one handle stroke. I use a Hornady Lock and Load for pistol, a lyman orange crusher single stage for work up and recently bought a used Dillion 550 (Manual indexing) to run -- semi progressive-- 308 (but have not done it yet)
It's a whole new world to learn about.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Some great advice has been offered and ScottsMojo hit some MAJOR things to remember. Especially, read, read, read, then read some more.

I think the best piece of advice given to me when I first started is, "Always remember we are dealing with controlled explosions, and even minor mistakes can lead to uncontrolled explosions."

With that said, I find it a relaxing hobby. There are some preparation steps like cleaning primer pockets, etc., that are pretty mindless. I'll get a couple hundred rounds of brass and some large bowls and do those steps while watching TV in the evening. If you choose to do this, only do it with the mindless initial preparation steps where you will be inspecting/handling the brass several more times after. That's another piece of advice I was given. "Every time you handle a piece of brass you should inspect it. Some defects can be pretty small and you might miss it three times and catch it the fourth time."

After the initial mindless prep steps attention to detail is critical. That's where I finding it relaxing. I go into kind of a zen state where I'm focused on what I'm doing, work at a relaxed pace, and outside stresses and BS are forgotten about for a couple hours.

Resbum

Oh yeah, here is a great resource. Probably the best on the 'net. The information and knowledge there is amazing. Some of the members are highly skilled gunsmiths. My annual membership fee is worth every penny, and then some. http://ammoguide.com/
Originally Posted by Resbum
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Resbum wrote:Some great advice has been offered and ScottsMojo hit some MAJOR things to remember. Especially, read, read, read, then read some more.

I think the best piece of advice given to me when I first started is, "Always remember we are dealing with controlled explosions, and even minor mistakes can lead to uncontrolled explosions."

With that said, I find it a relaxing hobby. There are some preparation steps like cleaning primer pockets, etc., that are pretty mindless. I'll get a couple hundred rounds of brass and some large bowls and do those steps while watching TV in the evening. If you choose to do this, only do it with the mindless initial preparation steps where you will be inspecting/handling the brass several more times after. That's another piece of advice I was given. "Every time you handle a piece of brass you should inspect it. Some defects can be pretty small and you might miss it three times and catch it the fourth time."

After the initial mindless prep steps attention to detail is critical. That's where I finding it relaxing. I go into kind of a zen state where I'm focused on what I'm doing, work at a relaxed pace, and outside stresses and BS are forgotten about for a couple hours.

Resbum

Oh yeah, here is a great resource. Probably the best on the 'net. The information and knowledge there is amazing. Some of the members are highly skilled gunsmiths. My annual membership fee is worth every penny, and then some. http://ammoguide.com/
More great advice. But, we have forgotten one of the biggest no-no's. Leave the drinking for after the reloading. The two just do not mix. Ever.

One simple misstep can lead to a life altering event. There is nothing complicated about reloading. It is nothing more than a series of simple tasks (some are mindless as Resbum stated) if you look at the tasks from an individual perspective. But, each task is critically important to the process of making the cartridge go BOOM as it should.