Door removal

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
JRod81Cherokee

Door removal

Post by JRod81Cherokee »

Does anyone have pics and description of making your doors removable?
We have a ‘81 Cherokee and would like to be able to remove the doors sometimes.
TIA
I roll in a 1981 Jeep Cherokee

dodgerammit

Re: Door removal

Post by dodgerammit »

Ummm. They can be removed, but not easily. And they're HEAAAAVY! Reinstalling and aligning them every time would be a PITA.

I now have a YJ Wrangler for that feature. Even then, I still prefer half-doors.

I'll keep my SJ with doors and enjoy cruising with windows down.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

sierrablue

Re: Door removal

Post by sierrablue »

As far as weight goes, I mean the weight doesn't bother me too much. I can move the doors and tailgate from an '89 (power everything) by myself, and to install them you just need somebody to tighten the bolts down and help aim it into the body to install them.

The way the rear hinge is set up I would think you could put a removable pin in pretty easily and be done with it. The fronts you would have to do some modification to--you'd have to change them to have the pin in the middle, and then I'm not sure they'd be able to open very far w/o hitting the fender. The rear can have the hinge in the middle because the b-pillar is set in, so the outer shell of the door won't hit it.

Speaking of the pillars, I wouldn't trust a FSJ without the doors on it to have any body strength, unless you have a cage. I know people have turned them into convertibles and such, but at least with those the pillars still get SOME support from the doors and such. Maybe I'm more sensitive about this since I rolled mine, but I would not trust it. With the doors they're barely strong; without they would have like nothing. And maybe you're not driving it fast enough or anywhere to worry about rolling it, but stuff happens. I was going 65 mph in a straight line, when a gust of wind kicked it out on the ice. If somebody pulls out in front of you and you catch the ditch wrong, stuff can happen and it ain't always pretty.

I would stick with keeping the windows down.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.