Holley sniper bbd for 258

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Bpcahill

Holley sniper bbd for 258

Post by Bpcahill »

I drive a 1981 wagoneer with a newly rebuilt 258 4.2.
My new Holley sniper bbd for 258 has been up and running and not running off and on since August 2020.
Turns out the large cap GM dizzy I installed pre efi, has issues with the efi installed.
Not only that, the distributor has up down play and needs shims, so a recent mechanic said.
But I am having a new hyperspark distributor installed as I don't want to deal with running the HEI.
Down the road I can upgrade to electronic timing with the hyperspark.
Has anyone done this distributor install?

Renodemona

Re: Holley sniper bbd for 258

Post by Renodemona »

I believe the hyperspark can run timing control with various systems (Atomic, MSD, etc). If you are vacuum now you will need to lock out the advance either with welding or bolts, I think there is a conversion kit with some new parts that you put in the cap but I am not 100% sure. You can run the HEI with timing control, but, I would not recommend it. It is very noisy and sometimes the computer doesn't like that. I have run a large cap HEI with both a junkyard converted TBI and the FItech for several years, haven't had issues but I Don't run timing control.
I am running timing control on my 72 using an HEI but it uses reprogrammed TBI from Hamilton (Seriously can't recommend him enough he's awesome to work with).
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I personally installed the Holley Sniper BBD and Hyperspark distributor on a buddy's '84 J-10. Pretty straight forward. Give the Sniper control over timing and it does it's thing. Runs fantastic.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i did that sniper/hyperspark on my 360, heavymetal is correct its pretty str. fwd, and holly tech support is fantastic if you are having issues with your system or install.