4 Door or Extended Cab J Series Truck?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
threepiece

4 Door or Extended Cab J Series Truck?

Post by threepiece »

If you had a choice which would you have and why? I’m looking for insight into the pros and cons of each. Obviously loading gear or passengers is an issue with only two doors. What else may I be overlooking?
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

thej10guy

Re: 4 Door or Extended Cab J Series Truck?

Post by thej10guy »

I would recommend an extended cab for me personally. By doing so you have more cab space for hauling more stuff, but you also keep more useable bed space (not shortening the bed as much) while keeping the wheel base a fairly reasonable length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

thej10guy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:12 am I would recommend an extended cab for me personally. By doing so you have more cab space for hauling more stuff, but you also keep more useable bed space (not shortening the bed as much) while keeping the wheel base a fairly reasonable length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well to be practical, I would be using a two door SJ body for the Extended cab or a four door SJ body for the crew cab. My initial study shows there would be less space behind the front seat when using a two door.

With a two door I would be inclined to move the back wall of the cab forward to meet the rocker panel. With the four door body I would have to use the space where the wheel opening intrudes forward into the door, a distance of about 10 inches.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

How will you handle the extra length in the cab? Your fuel tank is right there where the cab ends and the bed starts. I presume you want to shorten the front of the bed and take that length for the longer cab. Any cab extension while keeping the bed length would need a longer frame.

I'd think four doors would help only if you have family members to bring along, or have a crew to haul to the worksite. The latter seems like a poor fit to a hobby car - just find a modern crew cab truck. Having more room in a lockable cab might be handy. With enough added length, you can add jump seats for occasional passengers. Kinda think adding a lockable toolbox will do as much if you only want to haul stuff.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

tgreese wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:43 am How will you handle the extra length in the cab? Your fuel tank is right there where the cab ends and the bed starts. I presume you want to shorten the front of the bed and take that length for the longer cab. Any cab extension while keeping the bed length would need a longer frame.
The basic idea is to use the front half of an SJ and graft the back wall of a truck cab onto it. The SJ and J series share the same four front body mount locations. The two rear cab mounts will have to be added to the frame.

Modifying a bed is out of the question, I would lengthen the frame. I would also use a 7 foot bed as opposed to 8 foot to avoid an extra long wheel base.

I have been leaning toward a four door mainly because the rear doors offer much better access for any type of use.

I also have a Wagoneer with a body that has a very nice front 2/3 and a rusted rear end. I doubt it will ever get repaired. The roof and all around the rear window is rotted. The front is nearly like new. This body is beckoning me.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

There have quite quite a few 4dr conversions. One of the interesting points is some Jeep the Wagoneer roof line, and some great the truck roof line. The truck roof looks a lot better imo. But it is a lot more work.

Some photos of various 4dr JTrucks here:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/540994973978745986/

Personally I like this one with the extended cab and shorter bed.
IMG_6246.png
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/wikiwand- ... 720256865/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Stuka wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:46 am There have quite quite a few 4dr conversions. One of the interesting points is some Jeep the Wagoneer roof line, and some great the truck roof line. The truck roof looks a lot better imo. But it is a lot more work.

Some photos of various 4dr JTrucks here:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/540994973978745986/

Personally I like this one with the extended cab and shorter bed.
IMG_6246.png
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/wikiwand- ... 720256865/
Yes, the truck roof is a must, I don’t see there is a “lot” more work however. It seem a fairly simple matter of placing about 34” of sheetmetal between the front and rear halves of the cut truck roof.

I seems I have already started the four door version. I started stripping the body of this Wagoneer. If I don’t use it I expect it will be lost to scrap. It is simply too much work to repair the structure around the back window. Strange how this Wagoneer rotted so badly in the rear and remained so clean underneath and 2/3 of the front. It came from Florida, I wonder if that has anything to do with this condition.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Unless you're either a) towing with a gooseneck and need the family along or b) trying to use an 8' bed and bring a team/family with you, I would either just drive a truck or a wagon. Otherwise you're just cutting up perfectly fixable Jeeps that would work just as well stock.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

sierrablue wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:30 pm Unless you're either a) towing with a gooseneck and need the family along or b) trying to use an 8' bed and bring a team/family with you, I would either just drive a truck or a wagon. Otherwise you're just cutting up perfectly fixable Jeeps that would work just as well stock.
Some of us just have to have a truck….. I’ve tried not driving one daily and just don’t like it and find it hugely inconvenient. And the OP has parts of vehicles, not looking at cutting up 2 salvable vehicles. Besides the modification and tinkering is half the fun. Used to work at a street rod shop. The owners motto was “anyone can do a restoration, they make books for that. It takes real vision to cut up a perfectly good vehicle and make it something special and unique.” He designed and build a few Ridler award winning cars so he did have a clue.

Me I’d be really happy with 6” added to the cab by shortening the front of the bed so off the shelf bed parts all fit like shells and tonue covers.

I’ve looked at Austin’s green and white crew cab in person. It’s crazy long but a work of art.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I wasn't saying it's not cool to see; yes they're cool trucks.

Aren't they too narrow for shortening the bed to help with finding covers? Also if I'm gonna drive a truck for anything other than a daily, I personally want the 8' bed.

I'm not against fabrication if that's what you need/want I'm just not really sure what you'd really gain with it in this particular case. It's always impressive. If that's just what you wanna do then that's cool and keep us updated ;) Or if it's not...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I got a ----- when Dodge started offering the Diesel with a short bed in '98. I don't like the looks of a long bed, especially on Jeeps.

Do I need a truck? Once in a while. With the gate down I can carry all the drywall I want in a six foot bed. Do I need a $6000 optional motor? Nope.

I wanted it and could afford it. That's all that matters. I've thought about building an extended cab Jeep but I'm getting too old to start a project like that.

Don't much like the looks of my Dodge either the way the back of the cab leans back on the extended cab but you can't have everything.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I will never understand arousal from vehicles.

My point wasn't that it's not what is NEEDED--we're FSJ guys; it's always gonna be overkill in some way shape or form. My point was more that there are already two very good options with different ideal applications, and it doesn't really make sense most of the time to cut them up and morph them. But if it's just a for fun thing, or it's practical for what you're doing, then go for it.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:39 am I will never understand arousal from vehicles.
:roll:
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SJTD wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:42 am I got a ....
Please keep it clean and family safe.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I apologize to all for getting crude.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Elaborating a bit on what was recently posted:

I have wanted to build a crew cab for more than 20 years. I have 3 special places where I have stored all the parts for this project I need to source nothing but time. I am not a young man, if I don’t build this within the next five or so years I may loose my desire.

My intention for use would be for overland travel. A 258 powered crew cab J20 with a custom camper on the back was my goal. I actually built somewhat of a prototype standard J20 with a 258 engine, T18 trans, 4.1 gears and west coast mirrors to see if I liked the combination in a bigger/heavier truck. My goal years ago was to drive it across the arctic circle. My claim to fame would be to have the only FSJ that far north but I recently saw one somewhere up there.

No matter now, by the time it is finished I would be too old to travel far or long.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I wanted to go up there also to be there on the Summer Solstice. When the kids said "when are we going to stop, Dad" I was going to tell them "as soon as the sun sets". :lol:

Still hope to do it.
Sic friatur crustulum

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

OK that would be an awesome trip ngl.

Personally I think the I-6 just doesn't have the breath for that but otherwise that would be awesome!

If you're retired you could just take your time and it takes however long it takes lol
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

sierrablue wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:10 pm OK that would be an awesome trip ngl.

Personally I think the I-6 just doesn't have the breath for that
After reading what the experienced folks say on Expedition Portal Forum, I have concluded that there are two conditions that are the bane of overland vehicles. One is too much weight, the other is too much horse power. An acceptance that every process requires a certain amount of time is also helpful.

For 41 consecutive years I have had a 258 powered FSJ as a daily driver, a 1974 J10 (purchased in 1982, which I still have), 1979 Cherokee, 1982 Wagoneer and currently a 1976 J20. I have hauled numerous other FSJ’s with them from as far away as Arkansas to Michigan on a steel car hauler trailer. I can’t recall one time the 258 has let me down. With that history it is impossible for me to consider any other engine. Especially since I already have a 258 from a military J20 which I suspect has less than 500 miles of use.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Interesting. Certainly I agree with you about weight. Diminishing return - the more weight you carry around, the more likely you'll break something. It's like backpacking - if you need something take it along. And pare away relentlessly at the weight of every item. You also need to keep that in mind that breakage alone and far from help would be bad, a lot worse than when you're driving your trail buggy with a bunch of like-minded enthusiasts. I think the power thing is more about breakage than any other factor. With great power comes great responsibility (not to abuse the vehicle).

The power thing reminds me of stories from Pan-American overlanders back in the '70s and '80s. Altitude matters a lot in these situations, and in the Andes, they would claim the bigger the engine, the better. If you stay near sea level, the base engine may be plenty in all situations.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.