Leather dash pad?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
gte636p

Leather dash pad?

Post by gte636p »

I've been looing into my options on my '91, and a few people doing nicer rebuilds mention they just sew up a piece of leather with the seam across the brow of the dash. I get that this may be easy if you know how and have the equipment to sew this one or two seams.

Is there a member who actually does this for a side gig? I'm willing to patch holes and glue down landau pad, I just don't have the tooling to sew leather hides and I\d rather spend money here than take a chance on a local upholsterer.
Just a few jeeps ranging from '41 to '18.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Leather dash pad?

Post by Stuka »

I don't think I have seen a post from anybody that does this kind of work. It does require some very specific types of machinery to do. I kind of think it would be tough to do remotely, as a big part of the job is the installation.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

what about leatherette, aka vinyl, it stretches in one direction, UV resistant unlike leather and comes in various sizes and colors. You can even get marine grade vinyl which is probably a bit more resistant... and can be sewed easily with a better sewing machine... not too sure about attachment but gluing is working on my door panel, albeit it is not thick enough and you can see some underlying holes

I redid a upper door panel on my commuter, the color is a bit off as the other elements of the interior, but everything has been a bit cooked in the last 30 years!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

J20Hunter1

Post by J20Hunter1 »

The problem is if the dash repair is not done perfect it will show
Dennis Ridgeway 1977 Wagoneer 360/auto , 1969 J3000 Gladiator , 1983 J20 360 /auto <1978 Cj 5 Golden Eagle

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i re did my dash pad as mentioned and you definitely need to have the brow stitched the area that is difficult to contour are the drivers and passengers corners those spots are hard to make look good (wrinkles) , also the windshield needs to be removed to gain access to the retaining screws that are under the windshield rubber gasket, also the dash pad has no metal shell, its made of some sort of injected molded foam and the instrument cluster has to be removed to gain access to the retaining nuts that hold the dash pad to the metal dash structure , remember not much changed since 1963 and when you remove the pad you will see an early Wagoneer dash. just a few pointers i had to do to remove the dash to recover it

Topic author
gte636p

Post by gte636p »

That looks like a unanimous decision. Looks like I'll put it on the endless list of things to get to... it's almost getting out of control.
Just a few jeeps ranging from '41 to '18.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

it is and endless list, i started 4 years ago on a mechanical ground up to ensure reliability for another 40 years , and while pats are available. but light is at the end of the tunnel. im hoping to squeeze in colorado this summer.