JeepofTheseus wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 7:14 am
I've got the hayne's manual and the wiring looks like the diagram and like Srdayflyer described it in the earlier reply. The black window defroster wire was frayed and broken. The orange is still intact with the connection to the other side of the window. The safety switch was taken out of the system (brown wires spliced together). Otherwise I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Good call on the dielectric grease and cleaning the grounds etc. Maybe I'll get new hardware to secure the ground just to rule it out. At this point all I can think of is an issue with the motor itself but I don't have a clue what that could be.
How do you like the EZ harness? I keep looking at the 21 circuit option on BJ's but it seems pretty daunting to take on at my experience level.
I don't think it's the motor, unless it somehow has 2 input wires. Since the switch on the dash works how it should Idk how it could be...
The EZ harness is pretty good. Initially I wouldn't have picked it, and was disappointed that it had it when I got it. However, having had some electrical issues and such since, it has been very convenient. The wires are all labelled with what they go to, and it includes a lot of stuff mine didn't originally have, including power locks/windows, a modern 3-fuse radio system, electric fan, electric fuel pump, electric choke, cruise, A/C...I'm not using all of them but they're good to have. It also uses modern fuses so there's no question if you're getting the right ones. It's not as good as it could be if you were to go through and 3D print a custom block with EXACTLY what you need for yours, but it covers the bases really well.
It's not as bad as it seems, especially if you're just going through and wiring the whole thing. Personally I like to take some time and figure out each individual system, and check it all, and follow the wires and such. Just take it one wire at a time; it's slow, but then you'll know you did it right. IMO the worst is with a factory harness that has been modified some, and you're only trying to make one thing work but have no idea how it's been modified.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)
With great optimism comes great frustration from those who don't fabricate the bandwagon they jump on, as well as a responsibility to make sure the bandwagon is strong enough when others start jumping on it.