Yeah I’ve had thoughts and concerns about the 6.0 in mine, I know it has 300k on it…. But I feel like I have core value in the donor so I feel like I have gotten my money out of it but it’s going strong.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.
tgreese wrote:Is the flat cam a Chevy thing, or just a benign end to a worn-out engine (rather than the bottom-end failing)?
I know the gen 4 engines with the cylinder deactivation are prone to lifter failures, not sure about gen 3. For my case it looks like an oiling problem, the rocker end of the pushrods had significant wear and the lifters had some wear where it rides in the lifter bore. I don't know how it happened as I never saw the oil pressure drop below 20 but maybe a crappy filter or trash built up somewhere? I haven't pulled the rod caps yet, but I suspect I'll find something there too.
I was originally concerned it ran low on oil as I had to add oil right before the trip to East Texas towing the Cherokee, but after pulling the pan last night, I think that's unlikely. As low as the pickup tube sits in the pan, I don't believe the oil level ever dropped that low or at least during my ownership of the engine. When I found the glitter during the oil pan gasket replacement, I drained close to 5 quarts, so I know it wasn't empty or critically low. I haven't pulled the oil pump off yet but I want to inspect it to see if there's any signs of failure there.
Assembly has begun and hopefully I will have it ready to go in the truck by Memorial Day on Monday. When I ordered the engine I went ahead and ordered all the parts that I should go ahead and replace now so I can have a practically brand new engine when it is all back together. Water pump, AC belt tensioner, valve covers, knock sensors, harmonic balancer and bolt, thermostat, and maybe a few others I've forgotten. Summit supplied a whole box of felpro gaskets for just about everything as well as a melling oil pump and pick-up tube. I also went ahead and picked up new 36lb injectors as recommended by summit and a 255 LPH pump will be going in the sending unit.
Oil pump, timing cover, and waterpump installed. Oil pan and valley cover degreased and deep cleaned, ready for install.
And all back together! Engine is in, bolted up, plumbed and wired back in. It very badly needs to be tuned as it won't idle at all but runs decent above 1K RPM. Oil pressure is great with 50 psi immediately. I primed it with a pump sprayer and hose barb adapter threaded into the port on the front of the block. Next is getting it on a dyno and tuned so I'll be working on that this week. Also will be swapping in the 255LPH fuel pump when it arrives.