Fuel tank replacement

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
W300

Fuel tank replacement

Post by W300 »

So my tank leaks a very slow drip of gas if I fill it over half full and park on a downhill slope.

I removed the skid plate, which had a significant hit that bent it up into the tank. There is a crease across the bottom of the tank where the skid plate bend hit the tank.

I'm thinking just replace the tank, as it has that damage, and most likely has a pin hole leak up top at the front from being pushed up into the floor, or rust. Aftermarket tanks are available from BJ's and TGW. I see one review that the BJs tank took some work to get installed in a 72, the brackets provided sound like they are for the later models with the skid plate that holds the tank in place. I'm still trying to get the old filler hose off (It's rock hard) so I can get the tank out to get a good look at it.

Anybody on here have experience with replacing the metal tank with one of these plastic tanks?

Couple other questions:
Is this skid plate stock? One of the brackets was screwed up into the floor with a metal screw, which was weird.

What's this thing? again screwed up into floor, looks like a magnetic sensor that would detect rotation of the driveshaft. Wires are cut and it's bent away.
1972 Wagoneer
360, TH400, D20, Limited Slip
PTO Winch

tgreese

Re: Fuel tank replacement

Post by tgreese »

Suggest you put your year/model/equipment in your sig file; then it's added to every post.

Usually it's the old decayed small rubber hoses on the top of the tank that leak. A dent is not a problem, as long as there's no leak from the dent.

Skid looks factory when compared to my limited memory banks. The skid was optional with the steel tanks, and does not support the tank. Just bolts on. You could look at the '62-73 parts catalog, and there might be a picture.

Pretty sure only MTS is making these tanks, and BJ's and TGW are retailing them. Look at their MTS's page and you'll see a lot more about what they make. They also sell supporting parts. http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm

That looks like a speed sensor for some aftermarket gadget. Not Jeep.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
W300

Post by W300 »

Whoops, thought I had a signature. Updated!
1972 Wagoneer
PTO Winch

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Thats a speed sensor for some old aftermarket cruise control.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
W300

Post by W300 »

Ok, that makes sense, there was an aftermarket cruise control mounted but not hooked up when I got it.
1972 Wagoneer
PTO Winch

Topic author
W300

Post by W300 »

Checked out the MTS site, looks to be the same tank TGW offers, BJ's looks a little different. Seems like from the install instructions they've got all the brackets and straps to install in place of the metal tank.
Once I get the metal tank out and can assess the leak, I'll figure out if I just want to replace it or fix it.
Thanks Tim!
1972 Wagoneer
PTO Winch

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

NP. Glad to help!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

not sure what year your rig is but my 83 had the same issue, the 83 has 2 rollover/vent check valves with rubber gromets both were shot and the same thing downhill leak full thank leak anything over 1/2 full with fuel ,sloshing around a fuel leak check your service manual to see if yours has 1-2 check valves

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Srdayflyer wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:56 pm not sure what year your rig is but my 83 had the same issue, the 83 has 2 rollover/vent check valves with rubber gromets both were shot and the same thing downhill leak full thank leak anything over 1/2 full with fuel ,sloshing around a fuel leak check your service manual to see if yours has 1-2 check valves
As per the signature, it's a '72 Wagoneer.

Shouldn't have any check valves. '70-79 is all more or less the same tank and I'm 98% sure they don't have check valves, as I put a '79 tank+filler in and it doesn't seem to have them. Maybe that was associated with what I assumed to be charcoal canister stuff though.

@W300, based on what I've read, it's best to stay away from those plastic tanks, as everything about them seems to just not work out very well.

https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-kic ... k?t=104880

If you're not too attached to keeping the spare tire where it is I'd be tempted to go for a rear-mount BJ's tank or an S10 tank. You'll have to run a regulator with an electric fuel pump if you're still carbureted, but they're reliable, easy to find parts for, easy to work on...

Or if you wanted, I have the stock tank out of the '71; the seem around the middle seeps a little bit, but you could have it as is, or for a little more I'd be willing to fill it with water and weld that seem up for you.

I can't find it now but in the last couple months there was somebody asking about a company that claimed to be making 40-gallon tanks that go in the factory location (the company also makes a rear-mounted tank for dual tanks), which might be an option too, although I'd be careful, as they're a company trying to sell these things and there aren't any pics--it's not like they're a private seller, where all you have to do is ask.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Just mentioning ... the vapor recovery (FTVC, fuel tank venting) in '72 is completely different (!!) from '73 or later. The TSM shows this well. If not a California car, it may not have FTVC; again, the TSM will tell you what devices ar present depending on the model and equipment.

I would guess that the tank from a '71 will be identical to a '72. You could look at the parts book and determine that. However, I would advise the OP to wait to source anything until he drops the tank and inspects the plumbing on top. Rusting from the top of the tank would be extraordinarily surprising. Water in the fuel is heavier than gasoline, and these tanks will rust out at the bottom, not the top. BTDT.

Instead, I expect you will find that the little rubber hoses are rotted and gas is coming out when the tank is full and at an angle. Very common problem for vehicles this old. Also BTDT.
Last edited by tgreese on Thu May 11, 2023 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

Where in Oregon are you? I have a plastic tank that I purchased for my 71 Wagoneer with mountings straps that I am not using because I repaired my original instead. I live in North Eastern California and would sell it if you want and are close enough.

Topic author
W300

Post by W300 »

I'm in the Portland area. I got the tank out this weekend, the leak is coming form a crack in the braising where one of the vent tubes comes out of the tank. Pretty sure I can fix it. Otherwise tank looks good, I'll clean it up and put it back in once the leak is repaired.
Now I'm trying to get the correct filler hoses as the old ones were rock hard and had to be cut off to get the tank out. I ordered a set from BJ's before I got the old ones out, looks like my top hose is different, no flange and the vent tube attaches further down the hose than what I received.
1972 Wagoneer
PTO Winch