Is it usually such a PITA to fill an FSJ up?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

why_rick

Re: Is it usually such a PITA to fill an FSJ up?

Post by why_rick »

Revisiting this post:
Had to fill up last night and it took damn near 15 mins to pump 11 or so gallons. I could barely squeeze the pump and even then it kept shutting off. When I had enough (and didn't think my tank did), I had a good puddle underneath my Cherokee.
Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice

77 Cherokee Chief Wide Track Levi Edition, stock 360 (for now)
65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Something's not right; I'd guess it's either a dumb pump or you have a plugged vent, or some combination. I'd also have a good hard look at the filler; if that got plugged, that would a) cause extremely slow filling, and b) could cause a big puddle.

I avoid filling mine up at Holiday despite their having lots of coupons, because every time I fill up there, it overflows and gets all over the side of the Jeep. Most everywhere else, it fills up my (stupidly long, kind of a weird setup, but it works great!) vent tube, and just leaks a tiny little bit on the ground.

It being 80°F even here I'm guessing it's not a slow pump due to the cold...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

why_rick

Post by why_rick »

There was a mention in this thread about California pumps. Might be the issue. When I drove this home from AZ, I don't remember having these issues. Or just the station I prefer.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeah...time for a new fav lol.

It's not hard for me not to like the Holiday here; half the time they don't have gas; seems like whenever I drive something that needs premium they don't have any, they're busy as heck all the time, AND their pumps don't like the Jeep. And the people there aren't especially friendly.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I have two tanks on one filler and it hates certain pumps! It's weird, at the same exact station, same type of pump, some go without a hitch and another will take some finagling. Oregon is a "can't pump your own gas" state (the other is NJ). I have the magic touch when it's not working for the attendant - usually involves really making sure that accordion hose is compressed and the nozzle is solidly in there.

If I'm really empty and it's an ornery pump it can take a while to fill 42 gallons between the pump shutting off and the $100 max before running my card again.
1984 GW

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

weeegoneeer wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:51 pm I have two tanks on one filler and it hates certain pumps! It's weird, at the same exact station, same type of pump, some go without a hitch and another will take some finagling. Oregon is a "can't pump your own gas" state (the other is NJ). I have the magic touch when it's not working for the attendant - usually involves really making sure that accordion hose is compressed and the nozzle is solidly in there.

If I'm really empty and it's an ornery pump it can take a while to fill 42 gallons between the pump shutting off and the $100 max before running my card again.
Hm I thought Oregon moved away from that a few years ago. For newer stuff it makes sense but I hate that they require you to do that with classics.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

Nope, we still can't touch the pump here in Oregon. Some fuel attendants will let you but others will freak out if you try to pump your own. Seems a little weird to me. There is a bill slowly working through the State legislature to allow self-pump. Hopefully it passes. My '73 J truck also gurgles and blows back if the nozzle is not held right. This is even after all new fill and vent hoses. My '79 CJ7 is the worst! Usually I have to tell the attendant to insert the nozzle upside down and lock it on the first detent to have a steady flow. Must be an AMC/Kaiser/Jeep issue???
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

my filler is solid from the outside body panel down thru the inner body cavity and exits thru a thick rubber grommet there are t galvanized tube from the filler neck thru the lower body grommet, then 2 hoses (avail bj's) to the tank ,my roll over checj valve are on the top of my tank (2) both were bad and thts where my gas leak was and fumes came from

why_rick

Post by why_rick »

I'll probably just start filling up a couple 5 gal gas cans and bring them home and fill up the Jeep at the house. Seems easier.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I am in California and for my Cherokee it was slow (as I noted NINE years ago on page one), but not 15 mins slow. It does help if you hold the handle upside down. But it does sound like you may have a plugged vent.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

why_rick

Post by why_rick »

Thanks Stuka, I'll try the inverted handle trick and check the vent.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

W300

Post by W300 »

Kowpie wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:57 am Nope, we still can't touch the pump here in Oregon. Some fuel attendants will let you but others will freak out if you try to pump your own. Seems a little weird to me. There is a bill slowly working through the State legislature to allow self-pump. Hopefully it passes. My '73 J truck also gurgles and blows back if the nozzle is not held right. This is even after all new fill and vent hoses. My '79 CJ7 is the worst! Usually I have to tell the attendant to insert the nozzle upside down and lock it on the first detent to have a steady flow. Must be an AMC/Kaiser/Jeep issue???
I've never had an issue telling the attendant that its a classic and I'll fill it myself. They are usually happy to allow you to do their job!
1972 Wagoneer
360, TH400, D20, Limited Slip
PTO Winch