Sun Shade

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sierrablue

Sun Shade

Post by sierrablue »

Anybody have recommendations on what I should use? It's gonna be spending a lot more time out in the sun than it used to, and I just put in an original dash pad out of a '72 in it, and I don't particularly want it to start cracking and degrading right away. Well and it's better for everything inside if it's not 150° inside for 3 weeks straight.

I know the diagonals are around 61", if that helps. It would also be nice if it didn't have a mirror cutout, because mine's mounted on the roof, and I don't need the cutout.

I've been leaning towards a reflective one, because basic cold-weather planning tells me that will help keep the heat reflected out.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

devildog80

Re: Sun Shade

Post by devildog80 »

Go to Home Depot and buy a small patio rug, your color of choice, and one of those paks of velcro strip kits.

Scissors and cut out your own custom fit dash pad.

Use the left overs for floor mats.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I already have floormats and a perfectly fine dash pad. My question is about a sunshade to keep it from being 900° inside the Jeep all the time, and to keep the beating sun off my 51-year-old dashpad. My question is not about dash pads, but is about a sun shade to put in the windshield when you're not driving.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

I use a Covercraft in my 17 GC. It works well and folds up easy.
83 Cherokee Laredo

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Ok....bargain bin at Napa?

Any of the cheap reflective shades would work.

Might need to tuck it behind the mirror, drop the visors down to hold it, get a bigger one, get a smaller one....they are tough to find the perfect one as they are not vehicle application specific.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Thanks for the input guys. I will look and see. Thanks for the responses.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Tint the windows. I tinted mine 10% and it looks amazing esoecially with my black paint. And its always shady inside. I didnt do my windshield but you can always use a windshield screen you fold open when you leave the vehicle.

You can also get factory chromed window visors. And crack your windows open 2 inchs to let air flow inside the visors protect from any rain getting in.

You may not like tint but the quality tint (ceramic tint) etc.. It has Uv blocking in it.. i did it because it got way too hot in the Jeep even with a working a.c the sun would burn my arms on the windows etc.. and my cordovan color seats were turning pink on the parts exposed to sun.

The tint protects everything and keep it much cooler. Esoecially with the window visors and a couple windows cracked open. Those door window visors also block sun better than the factory visor when you turn it while driving
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Thanks but no. I don't mind the rain, and as much air as this thing pushes at speed, I don't get too much rain inside. Some, sure, but not a ton. And I like to use the wing windows to force the water/air out.

Additionally, I really don't like looking through tinted windows, not on this application. The '88 had them, and since it was stock I was gonna leave them, but I always wanted the tint gone. The windows are vertical enough that if I just get a sunshade and block out the windshield out, it will SERIOUSLY cut down on the heat in there, without taking away from the views when I'm actually driving it.

Additionally, when it's -20°F, it's nice to leave it parked in the sun, and come back to it being 55-65°F inside. I'm just trying to protect the dash pad and stuff in the hot months, not permanently modify the Jeep in a way I'm not a huge fan of.

I have seat covers over my vinyl (not leather anyway) seats, so I'm not really worried about them fading/bleeding.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I like non tinted windows in classics too but not all of us live in the Great White North. When the AC goes in mine, the windows will more than likely get tinted 😣
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Ah, that's too bad.

Honestly for me, I kind of like the non-A/C over A/C in a car, even when it's 95°+, with 96% humidity, purely because if I'm gonna be outside in the heat anyway, as long as you're moving the wind will keep you cooler. I'd rather be adapted to the weather already than to get out and go "blehhhhhh" and not want to do anything 🤷‍♂️
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I buy a Cover Craft sunscreen for every vehicle I can get one for. By far the best sun shade I have used.

Its not just about being reflective. The Cover Craft ones are thicker, and insulated. They outside will get super hot, but the inside will just be warm. Which means less heat is being radiated in.

They do offer one for Grand Wagoneers when I looked (put '91 as the year). They are not cheap. But they last, and work.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Sweet! Thank you Stuka, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not seeing the Wagoneers/J trucks (I started with '71 and then went to '74 when they didn't have that; didn't try later years) on the list, but they do have the '74 Cherokees, which obv. should be the same.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sierrablue wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:19 am Sweet! Thank you Stuka, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not seeing the Wagoneers/J trucks (I started with '71 and then went to '74 when they didn't have that; didn't try later years) on the list, but they do have the '74 Cherokees, which obv. should be the same.
Even the 91 Grand Wag should be the same. The windshield shape did not change from 63-91.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Maybe its because i have a black Gw.. the tint doesnt look bad on black. And tbh it doesnt bother me when driving ? But i dont wander my head to the side of my windows when driving 75mph on the road to enjoy the views ?

It really does help with seat fading and heat.. If you think a windsheild cover is gonna solve it alone.. by all means lol.

Yea forgot the older wagoneers had cheap seats and cheap steel rims for most of em anyway.. and cheap door panels. Not leather ones like the grand wagoneers had
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeah, I know. Like I said; I just plugged in numbers and stuff until I found one that worked.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070