Fuel tank replacement

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
W300

Fuel tank replacement

Post by W300 »

So my tank leaks a very slow drip of gas if I fill it over half full and park on a downhill slope.

I removed the skid plate, which had a significant hit that bent it up into the tank. There is a crease across the bottom of the tank where the skid plate bend hit the tank.

I'm thinking just replace the tank, as it has that damage, and most likely has a pin hole leak up top at the front from being pushed up into the floor, or rust. Aftermarket tanks are available from BJ's and TGW. I see one review that the BJs tank took some work to get installed in a 72, the brackets provided sound like they are for the later models with the skid plate that holds the tank in place. I'm still trying to get the old filler hose off (It's rock hard) so I can get the tank out to get a good look at it.

Anybody on here have experience with replacing the metal tank with one of these plastic tanks?

Couple other questions:
Is this skid plate stock? One of the brackets was screwed up into the floor with a metal screw, which was weird.

What's this thing? again screwed up into floor, looks like a magnetic sensor that would detect rotation of the driveshaft. Wires are cut and it's bent away.
1972 Wagoneer
360, TH400, D20, Limited Slip
PTO Winch