What do you guys think of this cherokee chief ? Junk or ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

sierrablue

Re: What do you guys think of this cherokee chief ? Junk or ?

Post by sierrablue »

'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Either not Wagoneer or not 44. 5.38s never appeared in a Wagoneer.

Hub style looks really old - maybe part or all from a Utility. Utilities had a narrow front axle and Lockheed 11" brakes, different from a Wagoneer with the expected Bendix 11" brakes. The 4 cyl Utility may have come with 5.38s and have those odd hubs/brakes.

Clueless seller or scam. The spring pads have been moved too. Buyer beware.
Last edited by tgreese on Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I find most GVW math to be seriously flawed and not based in complete reality. My 70 J2500 has a GVW of 5000. Weighed 4100 completely stock, no spare tire, only extra item was an empty aluminum tool box. Advertised payload of 1200# that’s 5300#. Don’t even get me started on RV’s….
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

tgreese wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:36 am
Either not Wagoneer or not 44. 5.38s never appeared in a Wagoneer.

Hub style looks really old - maybe part or all from a Utility. Utilities had a narrow front axle and Lockheed 11" brakes, different from a Wagoneer with the expected Bendix 11" brakes. The 4 cyl Utility may have come with 5.38s and have those odd hubs/brakes.

Clueless seller or scam. The spring pads have been moved too. Buyer beware.
I can't find the page now since IFSJA is all messed up when you're trying to find old threads, but the '70-73s sometimes had D44s in the front. Additionally, the factory service manual references D44s under the Wagoneers.

It's a Dana 44. They make 5.38s for a Dana 44. The seller never claimed it was all original. Maybe that axle isn't a Wagoneer one, but I HAVE found reference to D44s that are closed-knuckle on the Kaiser Wagoneers, and seen pics of a few for sale on a Jeep.

Kaiser era stuff is hard to do research on. And no rules are hard and fast on them. You worked for Jeep in the '70s and '80s, not during the Kaiser years--maybe you personally never saw one but they are out there.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Nope, you are reaching. I was there '72 on. Saw plenty of Wagoneers, back to the earliest. No 44 fronts in Wagoneers until 1974.

Here's the page on IFSJA - http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.html

Front axles:
FSJFrontAxles.png

Maybe you are thrown off here by "Wagoneer" etc in the Notes column. I read it "All 62-88 J-trucks and '74-92 Wagoneers."

No front Dana 44s in Wagoneers until 1974.

One of the "Moby Dick" cars was in the yard at work for a while. They offered to sell it to me. It was a '73 with a Dana 30 closed knuckle front axle. Seems likely they would have run the stronger 44 if it was available (though the 30 has several pounds lighter unsprung weight). At least it would have come up in conversation. Not available, even for someone with lots of pull with Jeep Corp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Can anyone help me deci I her this vin please ? Does it it tell you what all it came eith or no ?

Also how do i check if its stolen or not. The guy i dont think is gonna bother trying to get the title its weird how he doesnt have it.

He claims he bought the Jeep from a neighbor years ago.. then immediatly sold it to someone. But he didnt register it in his name before he sold it. And that other person he claims did ? But they never came to get the Jeep for 3-4 years.. so he thinks that guy mighta died.

So the only way i can get a title is the Vernont loophole. Register it to vermont then go to the virginia dmv and use that to get a va title and antique tags.

From the looks of the new pics he sent ne though.. it looks much more rusty than it did on the outside. The frame is an entire a to b Rust. But it looks surface like the paint finally cane off and it just rusted surface. Nothing is crusty. Of course floors are gone. The bed looks prettt bad near the tailgate. And it has crap all inside it so i couldnt see the rest of thr bed.

This guy is total diffenition redneck. Its kinda turning me off from the Jeep because in this condition and no title its worth like 400$ in my opinion.

But since the frame looks solid. And it runs and drives. The bed and floor pan rust i can fix. Tbh my 90 was bad too. But the leaf springs also look saggy need replaced.

Anyway here is thr vin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

I wouldn’t trust that frame with how bad the cab is. My truck, which had a solid cab and paint on part of the frame needed the cab mounts and rear shackle hangers replaced. These frames are weird. I don’t recall if this would have the post mount style shackle hanger or not (don’t remember the year it switched) but if it has the box mount style, it most likely is rusted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Nvm i deciphered thr vin

It was built in 76 in toledo, 131 inch wheel base J10. 360 2bbl 175hp. And 6000 or whatever gvwr

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

thej10guy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:08 pm I wouldn’t trust that frame with how bad the cab is. My truck, which had a solid cab and paint on part of the frame needed the cab mounts and rear shackle hangers replaced. These frames are weird. I don’t recall if this would have the post mount style shackle hanger or not (don’t remember the year it switched) but if it has the box mount style, it most likely is rusted out.

The front leafs sticking out with thr bumper removed. The mounts look rusted out. Id probabky have to rebuild those. Which sucks but i csn do that. The front springs rear mounts look fine The rear.. no idea he didnt get a pic of thrm for me like i asked.

The body mounts on the pics actually look in really good shape just surface rusted. My 90s were non existant i could lift the body off ny frame

My 90s rear springs were like spagetti or paper lol.. i have no idea how they were eveb still there. I had to rebuilt those on my 90. My 90 gas tank frame section was heavily rotted.. so bad the leaf spring was bolted to paper thin metal with holes in it.. i had to build that too.

It can be done. Its just a pita !!!!...

Rusted metal and welding at least to me is cheaper to fix that a new engine or drivetrain. Ive never rebuilt an engine before.. but i have rebuilt a frame and floors peice by peice.

But youre right.. its sketchy now.. The only thing i can do is look for myself i guess and negotiate. Im not sure my Mint lever action rifle is a good trade.. its worth 2x this truck (900$) now that i think about it lol.. But i barely use it.. if ever.. and it would save me money for the registration.. taxes.. towing.. and to start fixing this.

Gah.. There are 7 other J trucks on marketplace. One guy was 12,000$ for his painted over mess.. He litterally spray painted his entire J20 windows.. trim.. grill. Bumpers.. radiator.. everything one color LOL.. yes his windows are fully covered in paint.

Anither guy has a near mint J20 great shape.. but wants 16k.

NOTHER 73 J4000 (barn find) guy wants 13000. And it isnt in amazing shape just decent.

Another Gladiator.. guy wants 8500$ for a bed in wors shape than this trucks.. rusted out rockers.. and paint nearly all gone.... but it runs !!

The other J trucks.. one is manual i cant drive and i need this auto for my mom as well.. Id learn stick but she wont. The other one is 2500$ but has a bad engine. Another one is fully nissing its bed.. just a cab and frame with mud all over aka redneck.

Another J4000 looks nice.. but no gas tank. No bed some modified bed like a flat top bed.. Wants 3500$ but i can clearly see the body twist.. hood grill bumpers dont line up.

Another J20 fuy wants 3000$ you can see thr bed is uneven way high on one end low on another.. most likely bad body mounts or frame.

See what im contending with here ? Its like people want 3000$ for a truck sith bad engines.. or 15000$.. or they want 1000$ for rusted out floors and bed.. so i mean its so wild here in the D.c VA MD PA area

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Here are the pics. See the frame.. looks in good shape to me being around rusted out frames for 6 years on my 90 and 15 on other cars i can tell its not bad.. This is all just surface rust. Its not even flakey.. At least on the outside. Not sure in the c channle.. but i imagine its the same.

The front leaf mounts im not sure what to make.. its hard to tell... they could be rotted out. Or that. Could be surface. To me it looks chunky..

The rear leaf spring i can see through the bed.. it looks like a bolt mount. Not a box like my 90

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

If I were you I’d buy a truck from down south (texas, arizona, new mexico, etc). It will be rust free (except maybe the bed). Lots of them will probably still run. Then you don’t have to deal with frame issues. I understand you are ok with that but long term it would be cheaper and easier to pay for a better one and have it shipped. Also, it it doesn’t run, ls swaps are widely done on here and not very difficult and can be fairly inexpensive. I have under $800 in my ls swap, including engine, tranny and t-case.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Um, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that thing needs more than just bedsides.

Honestly that IH behind it looks like a better deal. Which is ironic because IHs rust way worse than the Jeeps do usually...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Tbh the nightmare on this Jeep to me looks like the rear of the bed.. lol not sure how id rebuild that. Deff would take work.. i wish he took a pic of the rear frame like i asked.

But how much does it cost to ship a vehicle from texas to virginia ? Just 200 miles in va is like 200-300$ i imagine itd be thousands to va from tx right ?

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

sierrablue wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:59 pm Um, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that thing needs more than just bedsides.

Honestly that IH behind it looks like a better deal. Which is ironic because IHs rust way worse than the Jeeps do usually...

Haha ya i saw that behind it.. looked nice lok

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

candymancan wrote:Tbh the nightmare on this Jeep to me looks like the rear of the bed.. lol not sure how id rebuild that. Deff would take work.. i wish he took a pic of the rear frame like i asked.

But how much does it cost to ship a vehicle from texas to virginia ? Just 200 miles in va is like 200-300$ i imagine itd be thousands to va from tx right ?
There is a site called uship that I would recommend. Basically you make a post on there and shippers bid on it for the job and they will bid each other out and you get whoever has the lowest bid. My brother shipped his non running 86 eagle from PA to Wi for about $800.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

thej10guy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 pm
candymancan wrote:Tbh the nightmare on this Jeep to me looks like the rear of the bed.. lol not sure how id rebuild that. Deff would take work.. i wish he took a pic of the rear frame like i asked.

There is a site called uship that I would recommend. Basically you make a post on there and shippers bid on it for the job and they will bid each other out and you get whoever has the lowest bid. My brother shipped his non running 86 eagle from PA to Wi for about $800.

Pretty sure that's who we went with when we got the Jeep shipped to MN from OR. It was like $1000 for that.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I paid about $1000 to get my J20 from Arizona. That was 10 years ago. There are shipping brokerages (like uship) that will connect you with private car haulers. I used Bravo Transport for both my CJ-6 and J20, but they appear to be gone.

Mmm. With those new pics, I'd pass if I had to ship and was not parting it out. Looks like the flares are the only good part of that bed. I suspect it sat outside with the bed full of debris for a long time. Holes in the front valence suggest the cab has holes - look inside behind the seat at the cab corners.

Back in the '70s my Dad bought a '66 El Camino that was used for pool service. 283, Powerglide, white with blue interior ... nice car. It was perfect except the bed floor had holes. He had a side business as a custom cabinet maker, and made a plywood insert to cover the bed floor. Looked like it was there as an upgrade, not to cover the rotten floor.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

So local tow companies was 600,700$ to tow it loll.

Yea no 136 miles and 700$ ?

Do you think my wagoneee could tow this with a uhaul trailor ? I have a 79 cherokee hitch the big ass heavy class 4 hitch... and my Jeep came with the tow package wiring. Not sure if it still works.

My 5.9 zj also has tow package but its trans ia whining in 1-3 not aure id tow this with that

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Keep looking. If I were going to pay to have it shipped, I'd find one in much better shape. No or minimal rust, completeness.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

candymancan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:53 pm So local tow companies was 600,700$ to tow it loll.

Yea no 136 miles and 700$ ?

Do you think my wagoneee could tow this with a uhaul trailor ? I have a 79 cherokee hitch the big ass heavy class 4 hitch... and my Jeep came with the tow package wiring. Not sure if it still works.

My 5.9 zj also has tow package but its trans ia whining in 1-3 not aure id tow this with that
Yeah the Wag can pull it not a huge deal. I mean id you do that just get one of the 2-wheel car dollies (and have them plug into their system that you're using an F250 or something because their system insists that you can't even use a car to tow itself).

But it's not worth it for that truck. If it was your family's truck, or your gf's family's truck, it MIGHT be worth it. But just for a fixerup? Uh, no. Not worth it.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070