headliner removal

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
69gladiator

headliner removal

Post by 69gladiator »

I've started to work on recovering the headliner on my 82 Cherokee. I am not sure how to remove the trim that holds up the headliner along the sides of the truck. I just don't want to bend or break the pieces. This question has likely been answered in the past, but I cannot find any information on a forum search.

sierrablue

Re: headliner removal

Post by sierrablue »

You have to take out all the other stuff (dome lights, straps running the short way, hangers/hooks (over the rear door), any top seatbelt mounts you've put in the headliner), Then you pull down on the middle of the headliner board and you choose a side to pop out. Once you've done that, lower that side you took out, and the other side will slip up and out. Those rails running along the sides are the absolute last part of the headliner assembly to come out, and if you're just replacing the headliner material, just leave those rails in.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

What about the center piece of trim?

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Very carefully get your fingers behind it. Then you have to take it down--it clips into a black strip, using a rib that goes all the way down the middle of it. Just be careful with it while you pull and it'll be ok.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I disagree on pulling down the middle.. You push up and the side left or right you pop out.. its fairky easy . The side trim is also aluminum you can bend it out slightky to get the sides to pop out.

I used a vinyl material from joans fabric for my headliner.. versus the soft fabric that gets dirty over time. I used a weldwood glue from lowes.. its like a thick yellow goopy glue you can buy a gallon tub. And use a foam paint roller to roll on.. use a lot. And spread out the vinyl. Been 3-4 years now and its still fine.
Screenshot_20230215_233218_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230215_233158_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

I like that you used old school Weldwood as a cement. I know everyone raves about the 3m spray but I had a battle with getting it to stick when I did the door panels. I’m really thinking about spraying it with an old gun I have.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

When we did mine (first page of my build thread I believe, if you want to see how it came out), we used custom designed fabric, and generic headliner adhesive from Advance Auto, or one of those stores. Seems to be working fine so far.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

J20Hunter1

Post by J20Hunter1 »

We use Weldwood out of spray gun it is the best.Fabric looks great
Dennis Ridgeway 1977 Wagoneer 360/auto , 1969 J3000 Gladiator , 1983 J20 360 /auto <1978 Cj 5 Golden Eagle

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

69gladiator wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:54 am I like that you used old school Weldwood as a cement. I know everyone raves about the 3m spray but I had a battle with getting it to stick when I did the door panels. I’m really thinking about spraying it with an old gun I have.

3m is good for the foam fabric. But for vinyl.. no way... Its too heavy/thick. It actually sucks the weldwood glue up too as did the cardboard..hense why i said to use a TON. Stuff worked out amazing. For the fabric foam one id use a tiny amount of weldwood so it doesnt soak and wilt the fabric.

THE ONLY thing you cant use weldwood on is the plastic overhead console. I ttied a dab to check.. and it melted it immediatly. Thats why my console and speaker bar are black headliner. But it worked out anyway as the Jeep is black.. trim black inside and its cordovan so it matched the theme.

Id deff 100% recomend using weldwood for any leather/vinyl applications. The original formula is the best. The thick stuff.. not the liquidy one.

Just do it in a well ventilated place.. stuff is toxic as hell lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

I’m ready to reinstall the headliner panels. I bought some then self adhesive insulation for the roof. Are you removing the roof gussets and putting the insulation under them or just butting the insulation up against them?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Is your headliner like what I have in my trucks? If so, it's fiberboard and rigid. I expect it would support some insulation on its backside, rather than attaching anything to the steel. Is your foam closed-cell? I would worry about wet foam being next to the steel roof. Water will condense on the roof underside if you leave the doors open or have water on the floor. Also, painting of these hidden areas seems quite slapdash; at the least, I'd put a thick coat of paint on the steel before sticking any foam to it.

Candyman, looks nice - I'm impressed.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.