Need suggestion for my rear main leak

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Need suggestion for my rear main leak

Post by candymancan »

So im at my end now.. defeated. As you guys know i did my rear main still leaks.. Not fun. 450-500 miles. Needs a quart. Isnt quite as bad as prior needing a quart every 160-200 miles.. Doesnt actually drip everywhere.. parked it drains whatever it splattered in the bellhousing. But it takes 12+ hours.. Just parked for 3-4 hours ill see maybe 3 drops. Deff has to be the rear main.. as the oil pan itself is dry as a bone. It comes from out of the bellhousing

Im defeated.. I used felpro.. seems i shoukda done SCE.. What would you guys do ? I have other projects to work on.. 5.9 limited needs love. Door hinges are all bad. 3 windows no longer can roll down.. headliner is shot.. speakers buz. Transmission is getting noisy.

Its just frustrating the only leak on this Jeep is the rear main and i dislike constantly buying oil for it. Its a nightmare to do as well.

Should i try it a 3RD TIME or just f it and move on to other things ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Re: Need suggestion for my rear main leak

Post by sierrablue »

Rear mains are irritating to no end. But it runs and drives; just keep a quart with you at all times. You have to add it frequently enough though that I have to ask--is that the only thing leaking? Any blue smoke/chance that it's burning some oil?

If you've got other major projects, don't worry about it unless it gets worse.

Also on your ZJ issues--on ours those electrical issues (exact same ones) were caused by the wires breaking between the door and the b-pillar. I suspect that's your problem there. Sounds like torque converter has stuff in it on the tranny--probably a bad clutch or something. Headliner isn't a huge deal
mechanically...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Need suggestion for my rear main leak

Post by candymancan »

Well the zj.

Door pins are all bad.. so bad it broke the thin sheet metal for the door lock so it wobbles in the door.. and ligjts come on when i drive lol.. that needs welded back in place on both doors now.. the doorman cheap ass bronze hinge bushings break for people 24.7 so i gatta find better hinge pins or cut ones off in the junkyard that are still good.

The windows, its the regulators. The plastic bushings broke so the regulator goes up and down but the window stays in place. And the two rear doors NO ONE makes aftermarket. So junkyard have to get lucky find good ones. Motor on front passenger rolls it down half way then dies.. then i gatta wait like 10 min to roll it up its like its overheating lol.

Headliner is easy ive had the black headliner fir years just didnt do it like i did ny waggy or other ZJ.

Transmission.. whines bad in gear 1st-3rd its an annoying whine.. but oddly goes away completetly in overdrive and lockup. Its just in the first foward 3 gears. I think the planetary but im not sure.

Speakers buzzing is probly a bad connection it goes away if i crank the volum way up for a sec.. but its just annoying.

I almost wondered if i burn oil but no i see no smoke at all. A few exhaust valves looked wet.. so it could be some. But no its the rear main.. the bellhousing is doused in oil and a hand print size stains the floor when it drips overnight. Im at my end on it. Itll have to be done AGAIN.. because tbh constantly filling is expensive. But hey the oil is always clean.. i went 8k without an oil change and it was still honey colored before when it leaked every 200 miles lol.. but thats expensive and a waste.

Im thinking and sjoving my bore scope in there and see if its the rear main or maybe those upper nuts someone mentioned behind the block. I doubt its those though. On the AMC forums everyone says its the felpro rear mains. If you go SCE itll stop leaking. Felpro is built too undersized or something they said.

So i just gatta grind my teeth and pop the oil pan off again.. i guess so annoying..

Just being bombarded with repairs. If the rear main wasnt leaking this wagoneer would be set and done. Minus rockers
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)