Mysterious ignition coil wire

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
altayd9

Mysterious ignition coil wire

Post by altayd9 »

On my 85 Grand Wagoneer, it seems there is a strange repair perhaps done by a previous owner. One of the red wires from the ignition coil is cut and joined with an orange twist on connector to a wire that goes into the fusebox where the seatbelt relay is supposed to go, on the bottom left terminal. I'm assuming it receives power from that terminal, according to the diagram I think that terminal connects to the ignition switch. I think its a bypass for something but idk what. Ignition switch or starter solenoid perhaps? I did notice that when I installed a new starter solenoid it did not work but when I put the old one back in it did work.
Last edited by altayd9 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
'85 Grand Wagoneer and '96 LS400

Topic author
altayd9

Re: Mysterious ignition coil wire

Post by altayd9 »

IMG_1339-min-min_46.jpg
Here's an old photo of it for reference, I don't have access to the Jeep right now since it's in the shop for rear main seal and compressor change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by altayd9 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Pic does not work.

Drag and drop from your computer desktop to the message, in the "Full Editor & Preview."

Wire nuts are no good for cars. They are meant for inside residential wiring where they do not move. They will not stay together if the wires move.

May be obvious, but I suggest you get a some paper, trace out the wires and make a diagram.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
altayd9

Post by altayd9 »

Fixed the image

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Wire nuts aren't ideal for cars, and absolutely fix it right and don't use them if you can help it, however they'll get the job done if you need them to.

No idea on your specific wire, hopefully you can figure it out. When I first started reading it I figured it would be something like "somebody spliced this wire for an electric choke", but Idk on this one, sorry.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

First thing.. replace that red power battery wire going to the junkction on the fender. That is a chewed up nightmare of a fire hazard holy cow.

I was thinking it could be for a tach.. but its on the oposite wire for it. I have no idea what its for.

But i noticed its black charred behind the carb.. wire nuts. You need to go through the wires in that engine bay before i find that Jeep in the jy burned up like the last 3 ive found
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
altayd9

Post by altayd9 »

candymancan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:09 pm First thing.. replace that red power battery wire going to the junkction on the fender. That is a chewed up nightmare of a fire hazard holy cow.

I was thinking it could be for a tach.. but its on the oposite wire for it. I have no idea what its for.

But i noticed its black charred behind the carb.. wire nuts. You need to go through the wires in that engine bay before i find that Jeep in the jy burned up like the last 3 ive found
This is a very old photo, before I pulled it out of a field. The wiring is in much better condition now, that's just the only photo I had on hand, it's in the shop getting a lot of major work done.