Rolled Waggy

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sierrablue

Re: Rolled Waggy

Post by sierrablue »

Well, got the windshield out, and checked the pillars. By some crazy miracle they're really close by the standards of a normal SJ, let alone one that's rolled. ~4° difference in the a pillars, and the numbers are REALLY close.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Well, just got the new windshield installed today. If you want to see the pics I'm gonna put them on my build thread (see sig). Just in time for another snowstorm :P
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

ctas

Post by ctas »

Glad to hear you are okay.

In 1994 I was driving up the mountain to Mount Bachelor and hit some black ice, dropped the passenger side tire into the deep, soft snow on the uphill side of the road and flipped it. Ripped the passenger side wheel and axle out of the tube, blew out the windshield, tailgate window, driver’s window and one more window. The roof was probably shifted 4 inches to one side along the entire length. The car ended up on the drivers side, I unbuckled my lap belt and climbed out through the windshield uninjured. My friend who was an EMT was shocked when he saw the state of the car and my lack of injuries. I know they talk about crumple zones and such in new cars and I understand the physics, but seems like these things do well in rollovers.

Forgot to mention it was a 1970 wagoneer. Also probably not the most solid either as I had patched up a good chunk of the floors with sheet metal and pop rivets.
Last edited by ctas on Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Cherokee Chief Widetrac, amc360, 727, currently building
1988 Grand Wagoneer, amc360, 727 mostly original and passed smog

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Oh dang. I don't understand WHY they seem to do ok in rollovers--there's really not much to their roof. The new rollover standards I'm sure make new cars safer in a rollover and I know crumple zones help with other crashes...Idk. I'm just glad we're both ok.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Watch the goosbumps movie with jackblack.. they flip a Forest green 89-91 grand wagoneer.. Its roof doesnt even move

Same with the Grand Wagoneer in that Movie Bird Box eith Sandra Bullock. It flips and if i remember its roof takes minor dmg
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I wouldn't compare movies where they use a splosive charge to initiate the roll which also takes a load off unless it lands on the roof to real life.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeah I wouldn't either. Nor would I expect it to just magically hold up if it does roll over--just know that some have gotten off pretty well compared to how we'd have expected it to.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070