Ammeter bypass - over thinking, or over simplifying

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Ammeter bypass - over thinking, or over simplifying

Post by Moparmikeo »

In typical 1 thing leads to 10, I noticed the feed wire coming off the alternator was run close to the manifold, and is getting crispy. Looking through the ammeter threads, eliminate the existing wire, run a new 12 GA wire with a 14 fusible link to the B terminal on the solenoid, and done. Seems like I'm missing something...

Thanks in advance!
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

tgreese

Re: Ammeter bypass - over thinking, or over simplifying

Post by tgreese »

Year, model, equipment? Vital to this question. Can't say anything without that. Original alternator? Original regulator?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

Good question. I was about to do the same to my 84 waggy

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

tgreese wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:32 pm Year, model, equipment? Vital to this question. Can't say anything without that. Original alternator? Original regulator?
Oops...

82 wagoneer Limited, stock electrical.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

An '82 came with the Delco 10SI (systems integrated) alternator. The regulator is inside the alternator. Normally the charge wire (big wire) goes from the alternator, across the top of the firewall, through the bulkhead connector, feeds the dash and lights, through the ammeter, back to the bulkhead connector, back across the top of the firewall, through a fusible link and connects to the batery via the starter solenoid.

You can connect the alternator directly to the battery. This will bypass the ammeter since current will no longer flow through it. Usually you would put an additional fusible link in the new wire, at the solenoid.

The original wire is 10 ga, not 12 ga. 12 ga is undersized here. I'd pick a fusible link 2 sizes smaller (ie a reduction of 4 in gauge). For a 10 ga wire, I'd use a 14 ga fusible link. Or a 16 with 12. You want a small enough link that it will fuse before the wire melts. This will protect you from a car fire if one of these big wires connects to ground in a wreck or whatever.

In addition to your new wire, I would remove the original wire that went from the alternator to the dash, and bypass the ammeter. This would keep the factory fusible link between the solenoid and the ammeter. Then the original wire from the alternator to the dash can be removed, or abandoned in place. On my '82, I released that wire from the bulkhead connector and removed it.

Note the original wire from the alternator to the bulkhead connector is 10 ga and 5-6 feet long. I would expect the part that's in the harness and going across the top of the firewall to be in good shape. Once you remove it, you can use it as your new bypass wire to the solenoid. That's what I did for my '82.

If you put your year/model/equipment in your signature file, it will be attached to every one of your posts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Rc4mike wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:35 pm Good question. I was about to do the same to my 84 waggy
Note that other years are not necessarily the same. An '84 is probably the same as an '82 if it has an ammeter. Suggest you compare the wiring diagrams in your TSM to my description above.

What I wrote above will only apply if you have an ammeter in the dash and your Jeep came with the Delco SI-type alternator. Earlier models are way different, and the sixes got the Delco sooner. Early sixes and V8s got the Motorola alternators with a solid state regulator on the inner fender, and a few years V8s got the Motorcraft alternator with a mechanical (coils and contacts, like relays!) regulator. Different! and a candidate for conversion to the much superior Delco SI. Later models without an ammeter do not need a bypass.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

Here is a link to the original bypass schematic from

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml

AmBypass1.png
And part 2

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... ges2.shtml

AmBypass2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by letank on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

When I upgraded to Cs140 on my 83 I ran a big fat wire from the alternator to the battery. I didn't bypass the original wiring. My amp meter doesn't read any charge or discharge.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

marc

Post by marc »

Looking at the diagram, I am confused about the need for the loop between of the two old ammeter wires. Given they are drawing from the same source, in my ignorance I thought connecting with two wires would not increase the available power just decrease the load on each wire. I would have thought the red or the black wire could be eliminated, cut at the welded splice?
J10 1984, very stock with AMC 258.
Truck appears to have been rebuilt or restored at one time

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You do not need a loop. The loop is there because the original circuit was a loop. With an ammeter, all the current went up to the dash, went through the ammeter, and back to the battery. This makes a loop.

When you remove the ammeter, there is no need for the loop. The alternator current must reach the battery. The battery current must reach the dash and lights. However you wire that is ok.

That said, having the two big wires feed the dash and lights does not hurt anything - it's just redundant.

Also, black and red are the colors for a Dodge, not Jeep. That drawing is for a Dodge. A Jeep typically is yellow and red for these wires. Suggest your look at the factory wiring diagram for your Jeep and draw it out.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

Mission accomplished, thanks for the guidance. Disconnected the red wire from the alternator and bulkhead connector. New 10 gauge and 14 gauge fusible link from alternator to starter solenoid. Started up, and charging as it should. Now to finish the headlight relay wiring!