Is this oil leaking from the distributor

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Is this oil leaking from the distributor

Post by candymancan »

Ive had this since the day i got the Jeep 6 years ago. A steady pool of oil on the timing cover. I always though it was the gasket for the intake. And i think someone else did too as they smeared rtv there. Its a pretty big leak too. The pics are after only 200 miles.. So to me thats too much oil

Well when i was doing my rear main and painting the oil filler tube and valve covers. I decided ti clean off the rtv.. brake clean and wioe down everything. And then re apply rtv on the intake. Well oil is pooling there again. But the rtv is dry. So it isnt the intake.

Is it the timing cover ? But if it was the timing cover.. wouldnt it just leak back down. Unless it leaking on the top of the timing cover? Im wondering. Can oil leak through the distributor ?

Ill probly remove the a.c compressor again and clean this up a 2nd time.. snd apply rtv on the timing cover and see if this stops it.. maybe i can somehow smear some around thr distributor ? Lol not much room there though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

90wagmi

Re: Is this oil leaking from the distributor

Post by 90wagmi »

Is your PCV system working? The PO of my Jeep plugged the PCV port on the intake manifold and my Jeep had that exact same issue. The PCV fitting in the intake manifold also tends to get clogged (the junkyard replacement I got nearly was.) My first thought was the intake manifold gasket as well but before attacking that I rebuilt the PCV system. I haven’t driven much since then due to the winter road salt but after what little driving I have done I haven’t seen fresh oil pooling up there. I also haven’t seen oil in the air cleaner assembly and there is significantly less oil on the drip trays on my garage floor after fixing the PCV system.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - true mileage unknown, 191k on the odo.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Im not sure if its pligged.. Ill unplug the plastic tube behind the carb and see if its plugged or not. I almost wondered if this is why my rear main keeps leaking even though its been replaced.

Is that all it is. Just that plastic tube behind the carb ? Anything else need cleaning for the pcv. How do i verify the pcv is working anyway ?

90wagmi

Post by 90wagmi »

The metal PCV fitting in the intake manifold that the hose attaches to may also need to be cleaned. There was a ton of crud built up inside of the junkyard one I got and I read somewhere that this is common on these engines.

The PCV valve should rattle when you shake it. They are cheap and easy to replace. If it is old and dirty I would replace it as a preventative measure.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - true mileage unknown, 191k on the odo.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

1st i would suggest clean the area with brake cleaner or a spray solvent, once cleaned run the engine at a high idle and watch and look a leak of this size wont take long to re saturate this area and you should be easily determine the leak, thats my recommendation

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The fluorescent dye kits that go in the oil work really well. They come with a little UV light and special glasses so you can see the leak. No need to clean the old oil, just check for the leak immediately after you add the dye and run the engine.

I would expect the fan air would scatter leaking oil everywhere, especially so close to the fan. Might be that's just a low spot that gathers oil, and gravity did not play its usual role here.

I presume the focus on the PCV valve relates to crankcase pressure. I'd think the crankcase pressure would be relieved by the air intake through the filler tube. The cap for that should have a foam filter on the underside/inside that blocks any oil spray (easily seen if you lift the cap). Usually this is only a problem when your engine is tired and has a lot of ring blow-by. If the foam is gone from the cap, the caps are widely available on the aftermarket. If blow-by caused the puddle on the timing cover, I'd expect to see oil in the air cleaner too.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I dont have the factory air cleaner set.. i removed it all years ago and went to a 70s 360 vacuum routing to remove half my vacuum lines. I didnt touch the pcv thpugh. But my oil filler neck just has a edlebrocke cover on it. No connection to the carb air filter which is also now a edlebrock.

Now that i think about it.. my rear main leak did seem to get worse when i did this years n years ago. But i chaulked that up to the sludge in my engine being cleaned up. It was very sludgy when i got it.

But i dont see how the fillerneck would need vacuum from the intake. It should be perfectly fine open air

Ima go in the shop in a min and pull the pcv valve and check it. Yesturday i did pull the a.c out of the way. Cleaned up the timing cover again.. and this time i smeared rtv on the top of the cover and around the distributor. I drove it 40 miles. And i noticed it was dry this time. No oil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well jist checked the pcv valve.. its fine. But i brake cleaned it a little just in case. I hooked a longer hose to the intake port for it and breathed in and out and i feel air pressure on the oil filler tube. So the pcv is working.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yep. It's possible the o-ring gasket on the distributor is dried out/not there. I wouldn't expect that to leak much but there should be oil around the distributor there, since it meshes with the gear on the front of the camshaft, and the timing chain and everything is right there.

You have brakes right? Fluid looks kinda dirty and also pretty low...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya i have brakes. The lines on the drivers side frame need replaced theyre crusty.. shicked it hasnt blown up yet lol. But it doesnt leak

Thats one fluid i havent changed yet is the brake fluid. I mean i did suck it out of the reservior fully.. refill.. drive.. suck it out and refill . But that was 6 years ago. Its kinds brown now. Maybe ill do that again.

As for low. Its because my shoes and pads have worn down 60% so the extra fluid is being taken up. Happens to all cars. New pads will push excess back into the reservoir.

If you actually fill the reservoir with lower pads when you go to change them and compress the pistons itll leak out of the reservoir had it happen many times.

Thanks for the heads up. Im out of dot 3. So ill go to the store and grab more. And do a siphon and refill a few times.. i know that isnt the best way to do it but it works to a point

As for my oil leak.. i checked it just now. The timing cover is dry.. but the drivers side (reservoir) where it pooled.. looks to hsve fresh oil there again.. Not a lot but a tiny bit. From what i can tell it is coming from the front of the distributor on that side. (I couldnt get rtv there) so it seems the passenger side is dry now where i was able to get rtv but drivers isnt.

So it must deff be coming from the distributor.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Best way to flush the system is to let it gravity bleed, if you're by yourself working on it. I'd replace the crusty lines when you do brakes too, but that's just me. Get 'em bled 'till they're rock hard. Like I said, that's just me
though. The dirty fluid SHOULDN'T mean that they're failing, but the contaminates may be compressible, taking away from your braking power.

The trick for when you push the piston back in is to stick a paper towel in the tank and let it soak up some of the fluid. As dirty as it is I wouldn't feel bad throwing that away on the paper towel. ;)

Those O rings are pretty cheap, and I'd clean off all the RTV too, so it looks better and doesn't cause any issues messing with the timing and stuff. You do have to pull the distributor to replace the o ring.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

How would rtv mess with the timing ? The distributor doesnt move once it locked in place. ? Yes i know rtv is ugly. But you cant see it with the a.c and hoses in the way unless you look. Ill clean it off once i do my timing cover and intake manifold way down the road. Ive veen cleaning my engine bay up.. wiping things down.. painting things as you see.. making it shiney and nice..

Eventually ill do the timing cover. The gasket is bad anyway.. It doesnt leak.. but when i replaced the waterpump 2 years ago.. the timing cover leaked coolant. I had to gorrila tighten the like 9 inch long bolt that go from the waterpump in the cover. Honestly i think its a bad design to have the water pump holding the cover on.. once i broke that seal it leaked. Tightening it a lot stopped it. But it still should be redone anyway.

Ill probly paint my water pump and timing cover amc blue when i do that too

For now i just need that oil leak to stop wgich it seems to have. Drove another 40 miles and still dry now.

As for the brakes.. i sucked the fluid outa the reservoir.. hinestly it wasbt that didty.. just slightly brown but still very clear i could see the bottom of the reservoir with the top off just fine. I think it looked dirty on camera because that yellow reservoir. It still looks dark on the side even with the clear fluid

But i sucked it out anyway and refilled it.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

It won't mess with the timing. I'm saying when YOU need to mess with the timing, you're going to have to break that RTV seal.

If it's brown up top the bottom is likely far worse. Like I said before I'd flush the system completely but that's just me.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea have so many repairs its hard to keep up. I can probly try to crack open the bleeder valve in the rear and hook it to a fish hose and my drain pan. And just pump the brakes. Just worry the valve is so rusted it wont unscrew hah.

You think this is bad though.. i remember when i did my moms 4.0 zj first time in 17 years and it was green... had algae living in it or something haha

letank

Post by letank »

No O-ring on my engines... a paper gasket is all I have at the base of the distributor.

May be the timing cover paper gasket is the faulty one... some years ago I had brown liquid pooling in the same area... and was loosing a bit of coolant ... did a pressure test and the coolant was burping at the coolant passage gasket, new gasket solved the issue... the liquid was a mix of coolant and oil from the little ooze from the intake manifold.

Yes, not too much fun to do a truck load of repairs... or finding the source of a leak, as Tim said, the UV dye is the best way, put probably 1/2 oz, whatever the instruction said, idle for a min or two... in the evening or at night it is easier to spot the dye... repeat the idle or drive 1 mile or 2... I did this to locate many leaks... PS on a german car with 5 PS hoses...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

candymancan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 am Yea have so many repairs its hard to keep up. I can probly try to crack open the bleeder valve in the rear and hook it to a fish hose and my drain pan. And just pump the brakes. Just worry the valve is so rusted it wont unscrew hah.

You think this is bad though.. i remember when i did my moms 4.0 zj first time in 17 years and it was green... had algae living in it or something haha
Unless you have speed bleeders, don't pump the brakes, or if you have a vacuum canister with a little fluid in it on the other end. If you do that you'll suck air back into the system when you lift off the brakes.

That would in fact be a problem...

I hated chasing issues like that all the time...now I've rolled it and created totally different issues. But hey at least all the other stuff I've done still works :-bd
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well a 160 mile trip oil on top of timing cover is still gone.

But it seems my oil level is back down to the fill line. So i went from slightly above full to fill line in aprox 452 miles. So a quart of oil in 450-500 miles.. through the rear main.

This is hog wash man.. This sucks !! 2nd time ive done this rear main too. I dont wanna do this again... but if i do i guess ill hsve to try the sce rear main.. im not doing fel pro again. If it leaks again i dunno what to do then.

I wonder if i csn get my bore scope up in there and look to see if its leaking on the nut caps between the engine and flexplate as someone mentioned. I just dont see how this rear main keeps leaking like this.

Whats odd is this last 160 mile trip the oil went from full to fill.. so its like it lost a quart in that one trip. Like it got worse