Low oil pressure ? What can i do ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

letank

Re: Low oil pressure ? What can i do ?

Post by letank »

don't forget to soak all these bolts with pb blaster for a few days, use a breaker bar to allow for a better feeling.... and always start to tighten a slight bit to dislodge crud... if no motion respray...

you can try many different products, knock'er loose is more a refrigerant.... or invert a can of duster... this will expel the gas and it will chill the bolt... you can always double with a small torch...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well ive been sick with bronchitus for the past week i suspect from breathing in exhaust fumes in my garage tgis Jeep seems to be putting some pretty noxious fumes out even with the doors windows open in the shop. Ima have to put my 50 inch fan by the tailpipe to blow outside the doors next time

Anyway. Im feeling better today so i went out to try a few bolts just to see.

What size are the heads on these ? 12mm is too small and 1.2 seems to fit but loosely . The first bolt i tried was the one where the horrible exhaust leak is. And it was loose. Just spun freely.. actually needed tightened 1.2 a turn.. i tried that but still leaks so the gasket is gone. Anyway that bolt is out. The next one on the outside wasnt too hard either.. had resistance.. so i tightened.. losend.. tightened losend and it came out.

Hopefully theyre all like this. I just sprayed em all with pb blaster and ill come back later when im not dizzy and high on medication

Any suggestions on a socket for them ? Since they seem to be lose with 1.2 but 12 wont fit. Also the middle bolts. The heads seem larger lol. I though the middle were smaller and outaide larger.. ? Lol.

Im almost thinking of tossing these manifolds and getting headers. What do you guys think of these ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed- ... XWEALw_wcB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

If I had to guess, they're 1/2, and got a little rusty, and now they've shed some material. I highly doubt that they're metic.

As things are now I'd see how your oil pressure is and how concerned you are about it before investing in headers, with the exception of if you know for sure if you replace it, you'll stick with the AMC V8.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Plan to stick with amc. Not looking for unoriginal motors like everyone on youtube i see does. If i had the funds id get a 401 tossed in here lol. But i dont. Dont care about Ls either. The oil pressure doesnt concern me THAT much as it seems to run fine and sound fine minus the exhaust leak.. its just a shocker seeing it so low at idle when its hot/driven from the past 4 years prior and a bummer.. idle cold its like 40 psi lol.

I do have a question when i jad the valve cover off i watched the push rids and for when oil came out of them. 1-3 oil came out of all 4 pushrods fairly fast. First id say 3 seconds. Cylinder 5 maybe 6 seconds. But cylinder 7 seemed to takes awhile before oil came out. Maybe 10+ seconds. Seemed slow

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I'd probably go ahead and get the headers then.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well update.. i tackled thr manifold bolts tiday.. the smaller outside ones were all lose.. or not tight anyway. They all came out with a standard sized socket wrench very easily

The middle 9/16 ones. Were in tighter. But with a 2 foot breaker bar it only took minor effort to spin them. They all came out too.. they were a tad more crusty though. One of them has an extra washer on it ?? No idea why.. i think someone was in this manifold at one time and added this extra washer on it for some reason ??

There are two more bolts i didnt get the smaller 1.2 inch ones rear drivers side.. i cant get a socket wrenchs on them because of the brake booster.. sooo maybe i have to get them on my bsck underneeth ? Ill assume those will be easy to get off too.

The gasket on the passenger side is fine minus missing the front cylinder 2 port section lol. Which is where my leak on that side has been for years. Its stuck ti the head so i can pry it off later. Its all crusty and stuff.

I dudnt remove the manifolds from the flange on the y pipe because the studs are spagetti noodles.. thankfully the manifold moves out about an inch.

I wish i could see inside the ports though for the condition of the valves. I might buy myself a borescope for this.

Not sure i wanna reuse these old manifold bolts though.. they deff need new washers.. Any idea on the exact pitch size etc for them ? Im so glad these bolts didnt fight me.. or break.. ive been putting this off and dreading it for years.. only for it to be easy lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kjandb

Post by kjandb »

This is what was on my 71. Be sure to use antisieze. And yes, those last bolts are easier from underneath.

High-Strength Grade 8 Steel Hex Head Screw
Zinc-Aluminum Coated, 3/8"-16 Thread Size, 1-5/8" Long

Sent using Tapatalk

'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i think your 71 used all 6 3/8 bolts. Where mine uses 2 3/8 and 4 smaller ones or is it 4 3/8 and 2 larger center ones.. . I cant even find a kit for it online.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/exhaust-m ... 1974-1991/

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/exhaust-m ... 1978-1991/

TGW is questionable from what I've read but assuming you don't need customer service it should be fine.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya i saw those. But they honestly dont look like mine. My 4 center 3.8th bolts arent hollow like those. Those 4 also say they are for the air pipes ? Thats for the injection tubes i think. Not the manifold itself