Things to get done before August

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sierrablue

Things to get done before August

Post by sierrablue »

OK before August I need to get a bunch of stuff done on the Jeep, and I need some info about some of them so I can get them done right and not have to worry about it.

1. Seat rebuild. There's nothing wrong with the seat covers on my bench seat, and I know what to do for springs. I know the lower foam is 2" but how thick is the upper seat foam? I can't find it in the factory service manual, it just says "install new foam".

2. Window tracks. I know TGW has the tool and rivets--does anybody know where I can get the rivets and tool cheaper, or should I just buy them there?

3. Wing windows. I asked Yeller about this on his build thread, but has anybody come up with a good solution to seal up the old style wing windows, cleanly (no duct tape or anything)? That whistling is driving me nuts.

4. Exhaust. It's not leaking yet (at least not audibly), but I need to replace the first section. I'd call it a y pipe but it's more of a t...I can do it myself--I want a generic diy 2.25" kit. My only issue is that I can't find the flange for the downpipes. That's all I need to find--I'm really gonna improve the flow there while I'm revamping it. Hopefully it'll be at least as quiet but it'll breathe a lot better.

I have a whole list of things to do; dome lights, change tranny fluid, maybe rebuild the tcase, check diffs, check u joints and ball joints, door locks, new tires for my slotted wheels, etc. Oh and I should probably improve the main fuel line from the pump to the carb so I don't have to worry about that causing vapor lock.

Anything else you guys think I need to check on a Jeep that's already a daily driver before college would be appreciated. Things most don't think to check, etc.

Thanks in advance guys!
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

SJTD

Re: Things to get done before August

Post by SJTD »

In a Ford I used plain ole pop rivets with a rod about the same diameter as the head of the rivet with a hole in it to extend the anvil down into the channel.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I wound up using machine screws and ground the heads/ nuts thin after install.

PM me your address. I have a t400 filter and gasket kit I’ll send you for free.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Thank you Yeller! PM sent.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Subscribing;

Am also looking at doing vent window seals soon & have seen a few options - disclaimer: I havent ordered anything yet; have seen comments on the forums saying the tool is too thick for the channel & may need to be ground down. Have also found a place that sells sized rivet tools that may allow getting one that fits the channel- will post up later on today; have it written down at home.
- LMCtruck has a rivet kit for $9.95+shipping: https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy- ... components

- Holley has a rivet set & tool sold separately for about the same price:
https://www.holley.com/products/exterio ... ts/VAR0072
https://www.holley.com/products/tools/h ... ts/VRST001
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean TGW has the kit, and I need to buy gaskets for the gaskets around the stationary windows in the rear doors anyway (unfortunately TGW seems to be the only place that makes them). But for a simple stamp like that I'm hoping I can figure out what size I need and just buy something at Ace.

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/vent-wind ... 1972-1991/

And as far as the wing window gaskets go, as much as I hate to do it, I may just take the windows out of the '89 doors I have in the corner. I was hoping to sell the doors 100% complete, but seeing as nobody seems to be interested, I should probably just take those out and use them. Although I would like some chrome in better shape for that, but whatever.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070