Repairing an ECU (not Jeep)

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
tgreese

Repairing an ECU (not Jeep)

Post by tgreese »

Some of you might like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUhvuCwVIl4

This guy usually repairs ("resurrects") old TVs and such. Sometimes he posts a car-related video, like this one. Interesting guy - seems he fixes cars for a living but learned to fix TVs as a teen via apprenticeship. Has a business supplying TVs from his collection as props to Hollywood.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Re: Repairing an ECU (not Jeep)

Post by sierrablue »

Interesting. I wonder if he'll rebuild my ESC for my R-C car, since that died...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
tgreese

Post by tgreese »

No interest in fixing it yourself? I've watched pretty much all of Dan's videos and learned a lot. First step, I'd think, is to look at the car and learn what all the parts are. Next a close visual inspection, with bright light and magnification. Then measure voltages.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

tgreese wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:04 am No interest in fixing it yourself? I've watched pretty much all of Dan's videos and learned a lot. First step, I'd think, is to look at the car and learn what all the parts are. Next a close visual inspection, with bright light and magnification. Then measure voltages.
I completely agree Tim. In all honesty, most of these older electronics that are not surface mount technology are relatively easy to troubleshoot. Like you said, with a good light and a magnifying glass, a good majority of the time you can actually see the failed component. I am a little deeper into things, so I bought a lighted microscope. But that is mainly for inspecting surface mount components. But between that and my favorite troubleshooting device ever made, a Huntron Tracker, I am able to repair most automotive electronics. My main problem is finding the time to do everything I want. I have been fortunate enough to have been working on electronics off and on since the early 90's both for work and as a hobby.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean it's not an old ESC--the R/C car is only 3 years old. I realize it's just a motherboard, so either a wire broke or a rely/transformer/resistor failed on it. Kind of a PITA for a $20 part, especially if it's just going to fail again right away.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You probably get what you pay for. If it sells cheap, they might be using the cheapest parts available at the Shenzhen market, real or counterfeit. https://huntersourcing.com/shenzhen-electronics-market/ Or they could be driving low-spec parts beyond their intended range.

Lots of discussion online about R/C ESCs. If you are running a 25 amp unit, upgrade to a 50 amp unit and it'll probably last longer.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean, it's a tiny little computer. It sends power to the receiver, controls the motor (forward, reverse, ABS brakes), and receives signals as to what to do from the receiver. But that's it. Two wires to the battery, two to the motor, three to the receiver, and two to the on/off switch. It's just not super complicated is why it's not outrageous in price.

Also it's worth noting--this ESC is designed for on-road racing, isn't waterproof, and isn't designed to deal with shocks. I've been driving it like a rally car in the snow (so it's been getting wet), and jumping the car. I looked and there aren't any busted wires and there aren't any loose connections, so I think it got water in it and failed.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070