Roller Rockers?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Roller Rockers?

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

The 78 360 has 1.6 ratio rockers, right?

If I wanted to get rid of the bridges and stock rockers, what roller rockers would you guys suggest? I was looking at the Proform #67480

Are there any stud changes that need to be made to go with roller rockers or can I leave the factory studs in there?

Any benefit to going with the 1.7 ratio?

Thanks
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

weeegoneeer

Re: Roller Rockers?

Post by weeegoneeer »

I tried the comp rollers for about 100 miles but was in a state of overbuilding and went for these: https://harlandsharp.com/collections/st ... 8-3-8-stud

1.6:1 is correct. Personally I don't think it's worth going to 1.7. Might need new valve covers / etc. Are you running a race engine?

A few things about rollers:
- There really is a lot less friction on the engine. With plugs out and a ratchet on the crank you can feel it.
- They are louder. Be prepared for this. Less loud with the stock iron valve covers.
- You will need to get your heads drilled for studs.
- It took me a bit to get my valvetrain geometry correct.

I have a set of comp magnum rollers with 100 miles on them I could sell you for wicked cheap if you want. But unless you're in a full rebuild I don't think it's worth it.
1984 GW

dodgerammit

Re: Roller Rockers?

Post by dodgerammit »

weeegoneeer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:27 pm I tried the comp rollers for about 100 miles but was in a state of overbuilding and went for these: https://harlandsharp.com/collections/st ... 8-3-8-stud

1.6:1 is correct. Personally I don't think it's worth going to 1.7. Might need new valve covers / etc. Are you running a race engine?

A few things about rollers:
- There really is a lot less friction on the engine. With plugs out and a ratchet on the crank you can feel it.
- They are louder. Be prepared for this. Less loud with the stock iron valve covers.
- You will need to get your heads drilled for studs.
- It took me a bit to get my valvetrain geometry correct.

I have a set of comp magnum rollers with 100 miles on them I could sell you for wicked cheap if you want. But unless you're in a full rebuild I don't think it's worth it.

After I had the 360 rebuilt, I noticed how noisy the Scorpion rollers were. I agree. Not worth it, IMO. Definitely not satisfied for what was spent doing the conversion to roller rockers. Unless you specifically NEED them, your $$$ is better spent elsewhere.

FWIW, even LS motors don't have roller rockers. The rockers have a trunnion bearing, but the tip is just a contact point with no roller. They do have roller lifters where more friction is happening as the cam rotates and the lifter is following.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD