Howdy, did I miss anything?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: Howdy, did I miss anything?

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 pm
Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:32 pm
sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:36 pm I mean my dad got 20 once with that green and white truck...usually it gets like 14-16 (after calculating for the tires), 13-15 base. And it's a 4x4. The 2-wheel-drive '79 (where the '79 body came from) got like 20, 302, C6, bone stock.

The Ram we rented felt like it was gonna roll around every minor turn at 10 mph is why I say that. And the computer lied to us. It was a 2wd, but still we were not impressed. It said it maintained speed, but in reality it was +/- 5 mph.

What's this one getting for mileage?

I get between 8-9mpg average. 390, C6, 3.54's some holley carb. I think I got 12 on a highway only trip once but that may have been a fluke

My highboy with the 300 abd 4.10's would pull in almost 13mpg on extended trips if i kept it to about 60mph.

My 74 camper special with 390 c6 and 3.73's got 9 as well.
Weird. My dad used to have a 390 in his truck, c6, 3.54s, 31"s, and it would get 11-13 empty, 8-10 minimum towing. Before that, when it was still a 360 truck, it got 12, no matter what. One time he had a massive 60 mph headwind, and it absolutely KILLED his mileage. He got 11.8 :D

Now it's a hot '69 351W, E4OD, still 3.54s and 31"s. Biggest complaints are the 19 gallon tank is small, and it's high enough compression that if you want any timing, you have to run premium.

Could have something to do with your foot too :oops: :D

I drive like a grandma.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:48 pm You all still doing FSJ stuff?

Sometimes I wonder what ever became of mine....
Yep. Thanks to yours and Lumpskie's threads of taking trips and camping, Have slowly been working on Radio flyer to get it into the perfect vacation rig (for me anyway). Still have more I want to do, but eating the elephant one bite at a time. The biggest hurdle has been crossed (LS swap) and allows for really good mileage even with keeping the 727. Remembering to enjoy the journey. Even when things happen.

84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:47 pm
sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 pm
Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:32 pm

I get between 8-9mpg average. 390, C6, 3.54's some holley carb. I think I got 12 on a highway only trip once but that may have been a fluke

My highboy with the 300 abd 4.10's would pull in almost 13mpg on extended trips if i kept it to about 60mph.

My 74 camper special with 390 c6 and 3.73's got 9 as well.
Weird. My dad used to have a 390 in his truck, c6, 3.54s, 31"s, and it would get 11-13 empty, 8-10 minimum towing. Before that, when it was still a 360 truck, it got 12, no matter what. One time he had a massive 60 mph headwind, and it absolutely KILLED his mileage. He got 11.8 :D

Now it's a hot '69 351W, E4OD, still 3.54s and 31"s. Biggest complaints are the 19 gallon tank is small, and it's high enough compression that if you want any timing, you have to run premium.

Could have something to do with your foot too :oops: :D

I drive like a grandma.
Sometimes that doesn't help mileage, especially if any of your trucks have any kind of an upgraded cam. Gotta find that spot between too much gas and not enough for mileage; I'm found that it usually means putting your foot to where it's going to be at cruise, and letting it do the rest. I know my grandpa got frustrated with his '93 Lightning, when he would get about 12 mpg and my dad would drive it more like a Lightning was designed to be driven, and it would get 15-16 mpg, because he was up on the cam.

Could be lots of in town driving too.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

dodgerammit wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 pm

Yep. Thanks to yours and Lumpskie's threads of taking trips and camping, Have slowly been working on Radio flyer to get it into the perfect vacation rig (for me anyway). Still have more I want to do, but eating the elephant one bite at a time. The biggest hurdle has been crossed (LS swap) and allows for really good mileage even with keeping the 727. Remembering to enjoy the journey. Even when things happen.

Love the vent knob (or as some call it, "Squid Launcher") sticker :-bd
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

letank

Post by letank »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:33 pm
Glad to hear you’re still fighting the good fight lol, or maybe just to stubborn to find a different fight? Lol!
Yes, I have a couple of fights to choose, such as german engineering pieces of something that belong to the GF, and those will keep you very busy, between the unavailable OBDI code reader, and the overly complex ideas behind the brain of the designers... but being a jeep owner, I have managed to use the same ignition system to debug one of these... it is a lot of fun to see a german car running with an MSD box and and MSD ignition coil... the best part: it upsets the purist that want the engine to stay OEM

Readying for EV 501...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:58 am
Love the vent knob (or as some call it, "Squid Launcher") sticker :-bd
Thanks! I got mine from a guy on the FSJ/AMC Eagle FB groups that sells novelty items and consoles.

Shameless plug as I'm not affiliated, but he does good work: https://grandwagoneering.com/collection ... ng-sticker
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Looks like he has some cool stuff! Being a Kaiser-era rig, mine actually has different knobs on the vents, so I don't get squid launchers :/
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

dodgerammit wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 pm

Glad to see you using it!

I ordered canvas prints of 3 pics from the last trip we ever took with the wagoneer, and they hang in my office, so the wag is gone but not forgotten.

prints.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:17 pm
Glad to see you using it!

I ordered canvas prints of 3 pics from the last trip we ever took with the wagoneer, and they hang in my office, so the wag is gone but not forgotten.

prints.jpg
Those are awesome! :-bd

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

So Dr.
If you could go back, would you still have sold the Wagoneer? Every time I ungracefully climb my old carcass into my CJ and wince at even the slightest bump, I consider selling. Curious as to your post-sale experience?

Cheers!
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Kowpie wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:09 am So Dr.
If you could go back, would you still have sold the Wagoneer? Every time I ungracefully climb my old carcass into my CJ and wince at even the slightest bump, I consider selling. Curious as to your post-sale experience?

Cheers!
Zero regret.

2019 JLUR does everything the Wagoneer could do 10x better and more comfortable and more reliable and more efficient.

Have old muscle car for fun cruising and looking cool. Have old 3/4 ton 2wd truck for truck stuff and looking cool....and aside from gas its actually nice to drive around town, have new 4 door Rubicon for anything off road.

What I do regret is not making the decision sooner to get a vehicle that wouldn't beat the crap out of me, cover me in dust and fumes, be so loud you needed to shout to the person sitting next to you, , be not very good off road, get 10mpg, and always be at risk of breaking down. Once we got that vehicle, there was no real reason to keep the FSJ around.