ZJ seats

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
sierrablue

ZJ seats

Post by sierrablue »

OK, our ZJ has like 320k on it now, and the seat foam is absolutely TRASHED. Nobody seems to make replacement foam, and it's like 5" deep. Does anybody have any recommendations on redoing them? The bottom is the part that's really bad.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Mopar_guy

Re: ZJ seats

Post by Mopar_guy »

You could either take it to an upholstery shop or you can buy foam and make one. You can glue foam together to get the thickness and then shape it to match the original. There's Youtube videos on how to do it. You'll need some hog rings and the pliers to put the cover back on.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

the price of my local upholstery to redo my factory seats, i found a local reseller of seat take outs they get from an auto conversion company, that take "new" vehicles and only have the time from the dealer to the shop, he had 1000's and was able to het a really nice set of seats for 200.00 and bolted right up to the factory mounts you may want to look into that option.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would go junk yard searching. Most will probably have tears, but I bet the foam will be a lot better in most. Then you can just put covers on them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

The covers snap on and off, no hog rings needed. I was just wondering if anybody knew the depth of foam to get for it, to make our own. The big reason that we don't want the junkyard foam is that it's had who knows what moisture and critters in it, and it's still almost 30-yo foam; it's not gonna last very long.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Do you have a joans fabric ? They sell foam there. And headliner material. Just get some foam from them and stuff it in there.

Junkyard would work though.. 90% of the vehicles out there never had passengers in the seat. You can get seat covers and foam that was barely used.

Or take your passenger seat off and measure. With the joans foam you could also just cut stuff it in there.. if its too much cut it down some and repeat. Thats what id do.

But id probly go to the jy first and get the passenger seat and back cover/foam. Crittwr and water would be the least of my concern. Im more concerned with how much ass and fart was pushed into it... lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)