Off-Road LED Lights

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Scotty54

Off-Road LED Lights

Post by Scotty54 »

I am in the process of installing a winch and wanted to add a pair of 4-6" LED lights onto the winch mount. The problem is that all of the round LED's I've seen look like alien eyes and I prefer the clean (and vintage) look of a sealed beam. But I am trying to minimize the load so low wattage LED's just make sense. Any recommendations?
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

will e

Re: Off-Road LED Lights

Post by will e »

I had Hella old school on my rig (Halogen or HID I don't remember) and yeah, the power consumption was horrible.

I couldn't find any LED's that looked 'normal'. But my old age made driving at night a bit more difficult. So I slapped some cheaper LED's in for the normal driving lights and got some ARB Solaris for the bumper. The ARB's are awesome but they are expensive and, yeah, I don't really like how they look compared to the Hellas... But sometimes you have to go with function over looks.

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

Will E - Nice rigs! Especially the red Cherokee. It helps seeing a LED setup on yours.

Another question for ya - can you explain the front end on the Cherokee?
It looks like a solid tie rod with no steering linkage (which doesn't make sense). Is that the Fabworks brace mentioned in your signature?
Northeast Tennessee

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Scotty54 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:18 pm I am in the process of installing a winch and wanted to add a pair of 4-6" LED lights onto the winch mount. The problem is that all of the round LED's I've seen look like alien eyes and I prefer the clean (and vintage) look of a sealed beam. But I am trying to minimize the load so low wattage LED's just make sense. Any recommendations?
Why not convert the headlights to LED sealed beam units? I love the Retrobrights on my ride. Literal night to day difference over halogens.

Saved my rig from a brainless deer a few months later:
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

will e

Post by will e »

Scotty54 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:40 am Will E - Nice rigs! Especially the red Cherokee. It helps seeing a LED setup on yours.

Another question for ya - can you explain the front end on the Cherokee?
It looks like a solid tie rod with no steering linkage (which doesn't make sense). Is that the Fabworks brace mentioned in your signature?

Thanks!
The front axle is from a 78 ford. There is a steering link from the box to the passenger assembly and then the one you can see in the picture goes over to the driver's side.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

leds mounted on recently fabricated bumper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

leds on my cherokee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

I had dismissed the rectangles thinking it wouldn't match the shape of the Cherokee but those look good. I also have the razor grill and my winch is in front of the stock bumper.

And I had not heard of Retrobrights. I will check them out.
Northeast Tennessee

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Currently working on this myself but for different reasons.

My Cat Eye parking lights had messed up wiring/connectors, and I didn't want to spend $100 for a new pair.

Instead, I cut the back of the brass connector out and removed the bulb socket.

The housing diameter is approximately .77".

I ordered these 3/4" Mini LEDs with rubber grommets from Amazon ($10 for 10 units) which should fit in there snug as a bug.

Then, just wire into the factory harness with weather pack connectors.

Still get to keep the sealed beam look, but with 100% increase in brightness.

Will report back once DHL delivers the lights. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

LEDS installed.

I actually prefer the yellow glow of a Halogen bulb, but not enough to pay $100 for.

P.S. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, but I figured someone out on the internet might find it useful.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Srdayflyer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:01 pm leds mounted on recently fabricated bumper
Thats a sexy bumper
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Here are some lights that are not so out-of-place on a round eyed FSJ...

I would start with the headlights first, no sense putting money into off-road only lights before you upgrade the sealed beams.

These are the Trucklite's.

LED Headlight Conversions
LED Offroad Lights Not LED... but if on a budget, consider these upgraded lights over stock sealed beam headlights:

H4 Halogen Headlight Conversions Rugged Ridge used to make a glass DOT complaint round H4 conversion, as well as a square one. I run the square H4 one in my XJ and it is 10 times better than the stock sealed beam. I don't see the round one listed anymore, the square one was now polycarbonate last time I checked.

Cheaper Halogen Offroad Lights
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Pablo wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:50 pm Here are some lights that are not so out-of-place on a round eyed FSJ...

I would start with the headlights first, no sense putting money into off-road only lights before you upgrade the sealed beams.
Yep. Then I'd decide on what I wanted additional lights for. Low mounted diffuse lights are good for fog (at lower speeds). High mounted lights will reflect too much off of fog and make your vision worse with them on. These low-mounted lights can be good for the trail too, at lower speeds. Driving lights can be helpful, if you want to drive past the range of your upgraded headlights. Me, I don't drive that fast on country roads. Roof mounted lights are pointless if you are not a Baja racer, IMO.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

I realized I never wrapped up this thread. I had recently installed a relay kit for the headlights and installed Silver Star headlights. I found a set of precision PAR 36 lamps on ebay, Precision brand which date to the 70's (I think Mopar used them on some musclecars but couldn't find proof - photos of them look just like mine). Period correct look, but the original sealed beams had to go. I found PAR 36 LED's with a grid glass cover so they look like a sealed beam but contain 7 LED bulbs. I simply wired them into the high beam relay. PAR 36 goes back as many years as the standard automotive sealed beam - they were used as fog lights in the 40's and 50's and tractor lights since then. The photo shows the grids at an angle, which I did fix.
IMG_20230306_170504_01.jpg
Northeast Tennessee