Resurrect my AC

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Resurrect my AC

Post by Johnzi10 »

I want to see if I can get my ac going. Blower comes on but clutch won’t engage even after jumping the low coolant cutoff switch. When engine is off and I jump to the compressor the clutch engages. Compressor will turn by hand. A buddy has 4 12oz cans and 3 14oz cans of R12. Sight glass shows nothing as expected.
I need recommendations for manifold gauge set with proper fittings for high and low as well as a way to tap these old cans to the gauge set to add after I have checked vacuum. Need the vacuum pump also.
I am aware that I will need oil if I have to repair a leak in the system and could use a source for that, as well as how it is put in the system.
I am reading the TSM and am wondering how to check the thermistor and electronic control module.
Suggestions as to tool sources and next diagnostic steps appreciated!
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

sonoraed
Vendor

Re: Resurrect my AC

Post by sonoraed »

Assuming your talking about your 89 GW, first thing I would do is look at old tom's website for wiring diagrams and refrigerant capacity, for guages.vacuum pump etc might try Craigslist I just found guages/vacuum pump/leak detector for $200 (for 134A) keep in mind R-12 is almost a thing of the past, I deal with air conditioning in old cars everyday and haven't seen a R12 ac in two years.
First step is a set of guages to see what kind of pressure you have in system, next if low recover refrigerant and evacuate system with a vacuum pump and charge it up, next go over system with a leak detector and fix what you find if leaking.
Good luck if you have a problem with controls that stuff was on it's way out when the GW was new.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Search your area for other auto clubs that have older rigs, like an AMC/Jeep/hot rod club, and sure you will find someone that already has all the equipment you need.

Work out to take your rig to their garage/home and probably help you with it.

Might give this guy a call too, as he is reputable and word on the block is he knows what he is doing, and willing to just answer questions to help.

Keep us posted :)

Hello all. Yes i am the AC guy on Facebook many come to for AC help on the FSJ. I can make hoses, and get most parts. Some parts i send you online as i cant compete on price. But ill help anyway i can. It started several years ago as a friend asked me to rebuild his Wagoneer AC after an LS install. Then word got out i used to be an AC mechanic. I started building LS hose kits. Then it started morphing into all sorts of custom kits. I now have kits on FSJs all over the USA, Canada. England, Greenland, Mexico and a few other countries. Ill see about setting up in the vendor page. I never really chatted on here much but used it for info years ago when i bought my GW. You can reach me at cjilge1@gmail.com or 405-465-9598 or 405-708-0844. Let me know how i can help.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'd replace the 30 year old hoses so they don't fail a week after you get it going or you'll prolly end up converting to 134 that should have new hoses anyway.

If you can't find a set of gauges I could send you mine but you have to swear on Wag's life to send them back.

Would be a no-no but you could put 134 adapters on it and use 134 gauges and leave the adapters in place. I don't remember if you can remove the adapters without loosing the charge.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Found a gauge set on Amazon, probably have to get the right fittings for my system. A friend has a vacuum pump! I am going to see if system has anything. Saw wagon masters has hose kits,$495. Would a shop fab them cheaper? Have to see if a shop like that is near me.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

I doubt my system has any refrigerant, but if it does will have to find a shop to recover. I won’t be redneck and release, too much of a tree hugger.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Johnzi10 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:03 pm Found a gauge set on Amazon, probably have to get the right fittings for my system. A friend has a vacuum pump! I am going to see if system has anything. Saw wagon masters has hose kits,$495. Would a shop fab them cheaper? Have to see if a shop like that is near me.
Pretty much any place will be cheaper than wagon masters. Most any shop that specializes in automotive AC should be able to make new lines.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I agree. Or for $150 or so you can get a crimper and make them yourself.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Or ask this guy?

Do not know him, never used his services, but he has been vetted to know what he is doing.

Let us know how it works out.

You can reach me at cjilge1@gmail.com or 405-465-9598 or 405-708-0844. Let me know how i can help.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Studying the TSM. To charge the system ( after I have vacuum checked and found no leaks😂) the compressor must run and mine does not. Clutch magnet engages with 12v.
While waiting on my gauges, what should I check?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Look at schematics on oljeep.com. There's a pressure switch that has to pick up for the pump to run.

If you put the can in hot water you should be able to get enough gas in it for the switch to pick up. keep the can upright so you don't get liquid into it. Can even get the full charge in this way if you're patient.
Sic friatur crustulum

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

Thermistor is tucked inside the evap housing. The TSRM notes the resistance specs. I think I posted the resistance specs here or on ifsja a few years ago.

I would recommend replacing the entire system and running r134a at this point. AC lines are pretty easy to make with the tool. I think I still have my notes on the fittings and hoses I ordered to get the thing to work if you're interested.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Thanks 89 Wag, I want to vacuum test then determine my course of action. My have to replace all, if so am considering 134a conversion.

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Got off task with new headlight adjuster. Vacuum pump $94 for the cheapie, $129 for the better. Guess I’m the cheap one cus I didn’t pull the trigger.

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Johnzi10 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:17 pm Got off task with new headlight adjuster. Vacuum pump $94 for the cheapie, $129 for the better. Guess I’m the cheap one cus I didn’t pull the trigger.

Hey, Johnzi10, poking around, I found that Autozone has loaner vacuum pumps, as well as, loaner clutch pulley holder necessary to turn the compressor pulley to prevent lugging it with oil at startup. I used these last weekend to resurrect mine - replaced everything - nearly everything came from jeepAir/cold hose, evaporator & the hardlines at the condenser. Am gathering pix for an A/C post, just hadn’t got there yet.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/l ... 326079_0_0
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/l ... lding-tool
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Great, look forward to the thread! AC on hold while replacing fuel sending unit. Autozone loaner info is definitely helpful. Looks like my ac might get looked at before winter!

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

I made my own vacuum pump out of an old refrigerator compressor. Have had it since ‘96 and it still works fine, used it just last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

autozone, oreillys advance, all have rental vacuum pumps,guages, i hand a local a/c shop make new hoses 100.00, fairly cheap depending on the compressor type, , almost all fsj came with york compressors , you should drain the compressor oil as york compressors have their own lower end lube system similar to the engine crankcase. the manual tells you the type and qty. you should remove the evaporator coil and clean it, as mine was loaded with years of trash and debris, after all that work it blows extremely cold a/c , and i should know, phoenix summers heat tax the bajezzus out of a/c systems

Topic author
Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

I do have a Sanden compressor. Never got to AC, been chasing a short and have had no time to give to the beast. Now that it’s cold just want to get it running! Then new fuel sender! Ac next summer???

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ill be honest here.. for my 90.. i just put in a can of the propane stuff . And my clut h cane to life a.c worked.. then i learned it eats butyle hoses.. so i just let it all out into the atmoshere.. (sue me its propane) then i found a guy with like 10 cans of r12.

We put two in and it lasted for 4years. Then it started to get cool but not cold. . Then the compressor blew.

I bought a new compressor.. drained the oil flushed it with mineral oil. Then filled it accordingly. Found my a.c leak ( a buldging line) i just took some a.c butyl hose and clamped it over thr buldge . Leak seemed to stop. Put in another can

And two later its still cold. Sure i used 3 cans in 6 years. But i dont care. Its cheaper than converting the entire system to 134a. I still have two cans left. I didnt even vacuum the system. Didnt feel like buying a vacuum pum ppl.. and shops wont touch r12 or 30 year old cars. Took the risk of a new compressir after ny old one blew up but i got lucky and it works fine. Only thing that sucks now is the valve to open the line up to fill the system the rubber shreded in the line. So it leaks from the valve now... so i screwed the metal cap back on with rtv.. interestingly enough that contained the leak to inside the cap lol.

I know eventually ill need to replace the lines and all that fun stuff.. but for now ill milk the system for the years i have left in it.

Should i have done it proper.. sure ? Did i ? No. Worked fine for 6 going on 7 years now. So i dont care.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)