Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Post by dodgerammit »

Unfortunately, that means the Exploder console will no longer fit in the Jeep. :(

The benefit of that oops cut was I could access the bracket bolts to tighten in the shifter handle really easily. :lol:

Made a cover to patch the 229 low range lever hole.

Also made a patch for the oops hole, but forgot pictures.

Cut the carpet and slipped it back over the handle. Reinstalled seat and sill plate. Installed fancy knob with pattern from Novak.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Measure for the new driveshaft and called Tom Woods today and ordered it. Should have it early next week.

While waiting, I wanted to tackle the final part of a freshened driveline. Rear wheel bearings.

I ordered the pieces a while back from Rock auto and they've sat on the shelf till now.

So, here's how ya do it:

Unbolt your rear wheel and set aside.

Pull drum housing from axle. I got lucky and mine slid right off.

Unbolt the axle bearing retaining flange. Four 11/16 nuts behind the axle shaft bolt flange. Hold the head of bolt behind drum backing plate (5/8") and remove nuts.

Some people can pull the shaft now. Mine was stuck a bit. You can use the drum, installed backwards on the shaft as a form of slide hammer in a pinch.

I have a slide hammer, purchased many moons ago. It has long since paid for itself

Beat that b!+c# out.

Bearings were surprisingly clean, but the grease was questionable.

Early model Wags have an inner seal to separate the gear oil from bearing grease. Another attachment for my slide hammer popped them out along with the wheel bearing race.

You can reinstall the inner seal if you wish.
I will forgo the inner seal and now let the gear oil lube everything.

This is how the axle tube end should look now
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Using a dremel, CAREFULLY cut a groove in the inner bearing retainer. DON'T CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH! You don't want to damage the axle shaft.

After cutting about 3/4 of the way through, grab a cold chisel and drive it into the groove.

TADA!

Cut the race and get those roller bearings out of the way

Now, cut a groove in the bearing cone like you did the retainer. DON'T CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

Grab that cold chisel and WHACK it with the hammer.

No damage to the shaft!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I like to use scotchbrite to clean the seal mating surface on the axle shaft after cleaning it.

Install your retainer plate.
Next is the seal. This is the one you need.

Lube the lip with grease and install with the cup area of seal facing inward toward the splined end of the shaft.
Fill cup with grease.

Now it's bearing install time!
This is what you want:

These SET10 bearings come as one piece, but are really just a bearing and race locked together for easy install. You want the race facing inward toward the splined end of the shaft.
Install the bearing like this:

Remember that cone of the old bearing you cut through? You didn't already throw it out, right?

Use it to take the force of the press and focus it properly on the new bearing for the install.

Press that b!+c# on!

Next, get the new bearing retainer and slide it in place. Use the old bearing cone here as well.

Press it on!

This is how everything should look when you're done.

Reinstall axleshaft in Jeep with a bit of threadlocker on those retaining plate bolts.
Clean your drum and shoes with some brake parts cleaner.
Bolt up wheel and repeat for the other side! :-bd

:fsj:

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Been driving the Jeep for a bit.

The Novak supplied shift knob has the shift pattern completely backwards of the 242 pattern. 2 Hi is forward and the 4 lo position is all the way back This is also noted in the instructions supplied by Novak. The pattern has 4 lo forward and the 2 hi rearward.
Figured that out really quick. :lol:
Gotta send them an email and see what's up with that.

The new Tom Woods driveshaft works just fine. Seems to have an occasional growl noise that may indicate I need a double carden style driveshaft. Weird, since the original driveshaft only had a u joint on each end. The Jeep height is the same. The shaft only was lengthened about 2" overall and the slip is on the rear of the T case now.

Not high on the priority right now, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I destroyed the first rear output seal on the case, so I ended up replacing it.

Filled up today netted 16.5mpg average. Not too shabby.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Took a road trip today to Stevenson Alabama to dip the kayaks in the water for the first time this year.

Had a great time. The 4.8 had plenty of oomph to power over the local mountain grades. The electric fans definitely help keep the temp gauge from climbing rapidly.

Pretty sure the growling noise is the driveshaft. For whatever reason, I'm thinking I need to have a double cardan/CV style upper joint on the shaft. It's not horrible and most would never notice it, but I do, and I know it'll bug me. :P

Decided to fill up as soon as I got back. 159 miles. 20 of those miles local (back/forth from work). About 70 miles going there was a backroads approach. Low speed mountain grades (25-30mph) and the rest between 40-55mph.

The way back was half interstate/half state route, rocking between 50-70mph, with the mountain pull at a solid 55mph.

All of this with the front windows and tailgate window down (except the 70mph interstate part with the fronts up), and 2 kayaks on the roof.

Drum roll please....

17.4mpg

:-bd

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Decided to track down a weird noise I was having. Thought it was a rear wheel bearing....

Jacked up Jeep. Wiggled rear wheels. Nice and tight, no concerning movement.

Decided to go ahead and visually verify the bearings were good. Pulled everything apart. Oil is lubing them. They look great. Reinstalled everything.

Did figure out that growling noise.....
Not the driveshaft.
There is an ear on the np242 that is touching the floor pan. Pretty sure that is where the drivetrain harshness is resonating from... :lol:

Drove Jeep after reassembling everything. Weird noise is still there, but I noted it is only over rough roads or bumps. decided to check the left rear center cap (that I had already checked) again for good measure. Yep. Missing a screw and will move a tiny bit. All that work for that! :lol:

Stabbed in another screw and snugged it back down. Installed two additional center caps I had stashed on the front wheels since they didn't have them.

Also installed one of RSTEP's tire mounts. :-bd

Great product!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Mileage updates!!!!

Okay, I've been tracking fuel economy since I finished the swap and have the numbers.

City driving only-between 15 and 16mpg

Mixed average (about 75% city/local back roads and 25% local highways less than 60mph)-16.5
Did two different fill ups and both netted within 1/10mpg of each other.

Road tripping (mixed state routes, backroads for scenery, and interstate hauling- so far 17.4

I'm hoping to best 18mpg interstate tripping and should know within a month. :-bd

My driving style:
I'm not leisurely getting up to speed if I pull out into traffic. I try to get to flowing with the rest of the commuters within a respectable time frame. Not roasting tires, mind you, just a moderate application of throttle to get to cruise speed.
If this was still the AMC 360, I would take a pretty good hit on economy by doing this.
With this new motor, there's no egg under the accelerator driving style required.

Back roads and around town I still drive a relaxed style. Keeping an appropriate speed, but not worrying about people who want to drive faster or beat me to just sit at the next red light. They can pass or find an interstate. :lol:

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

So, another vacation has come and gone and it is time for an update.

Loaded all of our crap up and headed out for a nice R and R trip. 1st one since the swap, so I'll get to see how Radio Flyer does pulling the mountains. :-bd Note the tool bag that still is in the back of the rig. Turns out, it'll come in handy. I just didn't realize how much so.

With Kayaks on top, we headed out.
Took the interstate this time and had no issue keeping up with the normal traffic until we ended up boxed in by semis and finished the trip to the top at a snails pace.....

Got caught in a gridlock at the 24/75 split (typical) caused by a wreck (also typical). The single fan of the dual summit fan setup that is wired in via switch kept the engine from overheating even though we were melting. Gridlock lasted about 40 minutes. I really need to just stick to state routes and avoid the clusterf*** of the impatient drivers on the dilapidated interstate system we have here. :banghead:

So much for a good highway fuel economy update.....

Made it to the campground and set up our site. Since I got up early to make trip, I took advantage of a new toy I was gifted.

Went for a walk around the park as the evening cooled down.

Now for some backstory:
Since the LS swap, I've noticed the BJ's replacement radiator weeping just a bit around the top tank. Not a big deal as it was such a small amount. It took nearly 5 months and over 3000 miles to lose 1/2 gallon of coolant. Unfortunately, there are no longer any radiator shops (or armature shops) in my local area anymore, or I would have already addressed the issue and kept rocking the stock radiator. It has no issue keeping the LS more than cool.
So, knowing it would need a replacement in the future, I went ahead and ordered a custom aluminum crossflow made for the LS from BJ's the week before we left. I also knew of the expected time frame of 4-6 weeks, which was of no concern for me.

You can see where this is headed, right?

I topped off the radiator a couple of days before we left.

That first evening (Thursday), I decided to hit up a nearby town's grocery store for "supplies".
As I pulled in I noticed a stronger than normal antifreeze smell.
I got out, popped the hood and checked the top tank. No difference. I initally, thought "no big deal" till I felt a small splash hit my shoe. Looking down I could see a steady trickle near the bottom of the radiator.
"S#!+" :shock:

Crawling under, I could tell it was coming from one of the core tubes. My assumption was it had began to leak where that tube meets the tank.
Either way, this WAS an issue. There was no way I was going to attempt the 100+ mile drive home with this leak.
In addition to groceries, the other supplies purchased were a couple of gallons of distilled water and a jug of antifreeze.
I called up the parts stores the next morning (Friday) with the plan of ordering an overpriced, plastic tank model and swapping it out in their parking lot before the drive home. Not the ideal situation, but what do you do?

Their responses over the phone were all the same.
"We might be able to have you one by Saturday. It really depended if they could source one from a warehouse. Without a bunch of calling around, they couldn't guarantee anything. If they couldn't get one that day, it would be Monday at the earliest, but most likely would be several days before they could get something.

We were leaving Sunday, so the uncertain timing was concerning to me.

Plan B:
Find a diamond in the rough. An old fashioned radiator repair shop.
After searching a bit (smartphones are awesome!), I found one in a city about 20 miles away. He sounded cautiously optimistic over the phone, so with everything to lose, I topped up with distilled water (about 1/2 gallon for the 12ish miles I had driven), noted I could probably make it safely as long as I could haul @$$ and avoid any gridlock on the interstate, and set the GPS for the shop. Wife stayed behind for some quiet time in the early morning.

I got there, pulled the fans and the radiator (tool kit came through in the pinch :-bd ) and handed it to the guy at the shop who put it in the tank.
The verdict was a damaged core tube (most likely from a rock getting thrown up by a vehicle ahead of me). It could be easily fixed.
They removed the top tank, cleaned the cores, patched the damaged core, reinstalled the tank, and repainted the radiator.
It looked brand new! :-bd
All for $170. Less than half the cost of a cheapie replacement. 8-)

3 hours later, I was headed back to the home for the weekend with a smile on my face and no worries over a motor failure due to loss of coolant.

Time to get back to that R and R we came for.

Curious squirrel that would later get inside the Jeep and go into a panic trying to get out. Didn't damage anything thankfully.

Kayak time!

Filled up before we left to the tune of 15.5mpg. Can't really count it as bad due to the extra city driving along with the coolant burp process of the radiator repair and the gridlock coming in. The trip back home was uneventful and relaxing 60 mph Sunday morning cruise on the interstate.

My most recent fill ups was 16.1 mpg.

I have noticed windy conditions seem to affect mileage more than anything.
I still believe that this rig is capable of 18+ on a long drive, but the big factor would be a favorable calm day.
Still, I can't complain since the absolute worst mileage since the swap has been low 15s.
I'll take it!

Oh, and when we got home......

....that custom aluminum radiator was waiting for me. :lol: It was built and shipped in less than 2 weeks.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

19.7MPG!!!!!! :shock:

Just made a road trip yesterday to a location about 120 miles away. Mostly interstate and state routes cruising 60-65mph. The rest was a pretty solid 45-55 mph on highways. There were 2 mountain pulls at 55mph. One being 6% grade for about 4 miles. The other was a whopping max 13% grade, but was a rolling climb of about 2 miles. Filled up at 148 miles on the tank and put in about 7.5 gallons.

Way better than the 18 I was trying to achieve. :-bd

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Did you catch that squirrel for a little help?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

SJTD wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am Did you catch that squirrel for a little help?
It almost jumped in my lap a few times when I took that picture. It was expecting food, but I have a rule of not feeding wildlife no matter how tempting it is to do so. I'm an animal lover, so I badly want to interact with them, but it can be detrimental for them to become too complacent. You could tell it was used to people and getting food as was a racoon that would come up every night. After I snapped that pic, it protested the lack of food by shoving a stack of plates from our table. :lol:

After its scare by getting trapped due to curiosity, it kept its distance from us.

The funniest camping story was a couple of years ago when a curious skunk knocked over my wife's coffee tumbler when sniffing it. It was just after dark had settled in. My wife reached down to catch the tumbler, thinking one of us had bumped it and nearly grabbed the skunk. They both let out an "EEK!" The skunk ran off and my wife was petrified. I nearly pissed myself laughing at the situation. :lol:

Her: "What if it had sprayed me?"
Me: "Well, it would have gotten me as well, but it didn't. It was just as scared of you as you are it. So, I'm laughing."

There were about 4-5 skunks (probably a family unit) that would wander the campgrounds after dark and take advantage of careless campers who didn't clean up after mealtime. They never sprayed, we never smelled them. They were too comfortable with humans. :shock:

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Looks like the "Radio Flyer" does better when worked a little harder than just flat ground :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

devildog80 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:32 pm Looks like the "Radio Flyer" does better when worked a little harder than just flat ground :)
Nearly all of the trips taken involve some sort of mountain climb to get out of the area we live in.

I think it was more due to the lack of an accident or traffic snarl this time. :D

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Good.....as long as you are not part of the accidents, or responsible for the snarl :)

Looked like a fun outing.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy 20mpg!!!!

Post by dodgerammit »

Filled up yesterday with most of the mileage from the return leg of the trip. A couple of days were back/forth to work, paying bills (all close and local driving of 10-20 miles total).

It did it.

It broke 20mpg... :shock: 20.03mpg to be exact.

No fancy aftermarket fuel delivery system.
No ditching the "subpar 727" and installing a built 4L80 and regearing the axles like many in the LS swap groups have claimed it would need.
No special tuning/cam install/ yada, yada, yada.

Simply a vats deleted factory PCM with electronic trans control and rear O2 sensors tuned out, running a speed density tune instead of MAF.

I'm getting the same fuel mileage as those who have spent WAAAAAYYYY more on transmission/gearing "upgrades".
I'm enjoying this thing just as much as they are theirs.

Is it a canyon carving, supercharged 6.2, that puts 600hp to the ground?
Nope. Nor should it be.
If you're wanting that, buy a Corvette or stop watching TV shows that make you think you need that.

I have a Trans Am WS6 for that. It's been sitting while I drive a slower, relaxing, wandering ride from long ago. :lol:

Keep It Simple, Stoopid!

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Just gets better and better :)

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

So, with another vacation season approaching, I wanted to upgrade my roof carrying capabilities.

I love the look of the stock rack as it is unassuming and keeps the vintage feel. Plus, I don't think the rooftop jungle gym setups look at home on a stock height Wag.

However, I needed something more modern to allow for accessory mounting for hauling gear. Mainly kayaks, camping stuff.

Time for roof rack renew 2.0

I had eyed the Yakima Jetstream cross bars for quite some time and brainstormed on how to make them work with the factory rack.

I finally pulled the trigger and scored a set on ebay that were barely used.

You can find t slot bolts on ebay and amazon. Just need to make sure they'll fit inside the original roof rails and the t slot of the Yakima cross bars.

You'll also need some 1/8" thick 1 1/2"x1 1/2" aluminum angle. You can most likely find it at TSC or another hardware supplier. If not, 1/8" thick 1 1/2" aluminum flat bar stock can be bent to work.

I drilled two holes on the side that attaches to the factory rails, and one hole to attach to the aftermarket cross bars.

If more pics are needed, I can get some better shots of them, but will include a close up of the bracket installed.

I removed the factory cross bars and replaced them with the Yakima ones, then installed folding kayak cradles.

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Hey, dodgerammit, great thread - have enjoyed reading it. wondering what you ended up doing with your wood trim? Saw a post Refurbishing “wood” trim pieces where you were talking about wrapping it. Am looking at similar, having collected a few samples.

Also, have seen that 3M Di-Noc is described on the Metro Restyling site as meant for interior; how has it held up? I’ve got a sample of Marine Teak from there that mimics factory marine teak really well - doesn’t have the pixelated wood grain like a lot of the printed versions, but am concerned about its long term durability.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

the box you asked what is this, i believe is the sensitivity gain box for the cruise control system, i removed all that electro,mechanical,vacuum junk and replaced it with a rostra cruise control its all electronic plugs ditevtly into the 4 wire plug from the turn signal switch, it works great and i cleaned up my engine bay removing all that oem stuff, i would chemical flush the cooling system to completely clean it out what you see thru the filler cap opening may lead you to believe the syste is clean but every time i chem flush and backflush it with the prestone flush kit i always get a lot of junk out and run it till i see clear water. just my 2 cents