Warpig - Shortbed Pickup - Bobbed YJ Wrangler Body on GW Chassis

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Warlordsix

Warpig - Shortbed Pickup - Bobbed YJ Wrangler Body on GW Chassis

Post by Warlordsix »

Okay, kids, here's the plan...I'm building what Jeep doesn't build, a V8-powered, 5-speed, 4x4 shortbed, 2-door pickup. For years I've been thinking about how I would do this. I've finally pulled the trigger. I'm in the middle of the project now.

1. Started with an '88 GW. Previous owner installed a 3" lift. I pulled the body off and exposed a totally solid, rust-free frame w Dana 44s.

2. Procured a '92 YJ, 4.0L, 5-speed (AX-15) for the donor. I will use the body & interior, flywheel, (will need to be match balanced to the flexplate of the AMC360), tranny and transfercase (NP231), shifters, hydraulic clutch, fuel tank, steering column, basically everything but the frame, axles, suspension, wheels, etc.

3. I procured a bellhousing, clutch master & slave & line & input bearing support from a '94 4.0 YJ, because I want to run an external clutch slave cylinder (which became available in'94). If I wanted to keep the '92 YJ's internal hydraulic throwout bearing, I wouldn't have had to buy any of that stuff. Could have just swapped everything over from the YJ. BTW, this AX15 swap is possible with ALL Jeep parts! Only part I needed to buy separately was a pilot bearing to match the larger bore in the AMC 360 crank to the pilot tip of the AX15. The PN for that pilot bearing is National Bearing FC69907

4. I will need to move the AMC 360 motor mounts rearward aprox 9" (final distance will soon be determined after I drop the YJ body onto the frame to start mocking things in). The determining issue will be locating the front axle in the center of the YJ front fender opening.

5. I will bob the YJ tub by chopping a section (length TBD) out of the rear seat area and welding the rear corners/taillight area back onto the shortened tub. I will then build a custom bed (similar to a Jeep TJ Brute bed) to be mounted behind the tub.

6. I will bob the hardtop to match the bobbed tub. Objective is to leave ample room behind the driver/passenger seat for a good-sized tool box, lockable storage, etc.

7. I will have to fab new or shortened/lengthened driveshafts, as the tranny/transfercase will be located 9" or so rearward along with the engine.

8. I installed brand new locking hubs into the front Dana 44 axle. The stock axle ratios, however, stink. 2.73. Eventually, I will have those swapped for something lower, but I'm not spending any time on that now.

9. AMC 360 will eventually be rebuilt or swapped for a fresh rebuild. Mods will be moderate. For ignition I'm installing a TFI upgrade, but I'm gutting the stock Duraspark box and installing an HEI module inside it. Intake is an Edelbrock Performer and carb is a Holley Street Avenger 670 with vacuum secondaries. I'm running the stock, AMC high-flow passenger side exhaust manifold and swapping on a matching, high-flow driver side exhaust manifold.

10. If you're curious how this might turn out, do a search for Sitting Bull's Crackpipe. I discovered that project after I began my project, and it is very close to what I'm doing. The big differences are he kept his TF727 and stretched his YJ body to make it more like a Scrambler. I'm running a 5-speed and a separate bed (which will likely be almost a 5' bed).

I'll post plenty of photos and welcome suggestions, tips, etc. For now the project is well underway, so I should have the first photos up fairly soon.

Ernie

Topic author
Warlordsix

Re: Warpig - Shortbed Pickup - Bobbed YJ Wrangler Body on GW Chassis

Post by Warlordsix »

Here's what I started with, an '88 GW:
8295C53C-DD09-420C-A063-ED30777EF1A7.jpeg
Here's is Sitting Bull's Crackpipe (an example of something close to what I have in mind):
crackpipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

Here's the GW body coming off the frame:
9E6BEECC-C6AB-4A4C-9D41-12082998BE90 2.jpeg
Here's the freshly uncovered chassis:
D448ADD9-14A9-4A7A-B45F-E744EC777CC1 2.jpeg
Here's the chassis after some elbow grease:
frame brakes new 2.jpeg
Another shot of the chassis:
new tires 2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thinking something similar to a CJ-10?

cj-10.jpg
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

Stuka, yeah, something like that, although with the GW's shorter 109" wheelbase, which I think is perfect. The CJ10 has a 118" wheelbase, which is too long for my tastes. So, my project should come closer to this, although with maybe another 8" behind the seats and slightly longer hardtop:
1997-jeep-wrangler-brute-truck-offroad-4x4-rock-crawler-na-prodej-2017-03-13-1.jpg
Also, another option for the bed is something like this:
1967-Kaiser-Jeep-M715-Pickup-Truck-2-644x430.jpg
And here's a shot of the bed area on Crackpipe:
crackpipe 5.jpg

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

And in the background is the YJ body that will be going onto the GW chassis in the foreground. Between those two strips of blue masking tape on the left rear quarter above the wheelwell is aprox where I expect the rear edge of the bobbed tub to be when I'm done cutting and welding. BTW check out those ACME fiberglass doors on that YJ...those things are hard to find and fairly sweet if you ask me. Lighter than the full steel doors, too. I also have an extra set of steel half-doors that I can throw on.

Ernie
chassis comparison 3 v3.jpeg

MrTea

Post by MrTea »

This looks like a cool project! Looks like a scrambler!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

Here's my quick, hand-jamb of where I think the rear edge of the cab will be located. Frankly, given subsequent measurements of the GW frame and YJ tub, my guess is the rear edge will likely be an inch or so forward of that blue line. In any case, for now it's close enough for government work:
Inked3D14BE6E-E32E-48AB-840D-EE7BAF3F444F_LI 2.jpg

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

In the meantime, I've rebuilt the carb (Holley SA 670, vacuum secondaries) and cleaned up the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. I will mate that breather on top to a cold air intake near the grill.

Ernie
403DD5DE-1E81-40DF-BE88-36005740B584 2.jpeg

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

MrTea wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:36 pm This looks like a cool project! Looks like a scrambler!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Ernie

Topic author
Warlordsix

Post by Warlordsix »

I've moved this build thread to the Wrangler Forum and will be updating it there. Here's the link to that full build thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/t ... t-35202854