Bed Chop

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Bed Chop

Post by Harry Dawg »

Hello Folks.
Hope everyone had a good Monday.
The time has come for me to deal with my rusted out bed. The new fuel tank is on it's way from BJ'S and I need to finish it up.

The tail caps, a fender and one bit of the rear quarter panel need to be replaced. I have half a donor bed that I am planning on using for patch panels. I believe I am going to cut along the body seam to separate the tail caps from the main bed. At first I thought these were spot welded on there, but now I'm not so sure, so I think I'll just chop them off with the angle grinder and weld the new ones on.

Alternatively I was thinking about moving the cut further up into the main bed and going straight across. This way I can just butt weld the two parts together and not have to worry about lining up the tail caps and tail gate barell mounts.

I already burned the fender on there, and it came out pretty alright. If I could do it over I would weld it from the underside, but that's part of learning. I now need a die grinder to remake the body line as best I can where there was a seam. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Re: Bed Chop

Post by Harry Dawg »

The worst of the rust is in the tail caps.Image

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Following :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Best of luck to you. I hate the seams in the bed and I am getting rid of them in my bed as I fixed the rust holes, I filled the seams.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

akguy09 wrote:Best of luck to you. I hate the seams in the bed and I am getting rid of them in my bed as I fixed the rust holes, I filled the seams.
That was my thought as well. Looks to me like an extra place for rust to form, as evidenced by my tail caps.
Would be interested to see some pics of your bed if you got any.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The bed seam is two pieces of steel, above and below, bent 90 degrees and spot welded together. The '73-up beds have a space between the inner and outer bed sides behind the seams that holds debris and moisture. The dead space is there so any dents in the inner bed walls won't show through the outside of the bed. Filling the seams from the outside won't stop them from rusting through. My J10 has a series of plastic plugs along the inside bed sides that I presume was used to fill that area between the bed walls with cavity wax. I plan to do that to my J20 at some point ... The single-wall bed should not be as bad in this respect, though it still has the 90-degrees-bent edges of the top and bottom bed sides. Without treating the internal hidden edge of that bed seam, rust will still come from the inside and rust through the outside.
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Good point, since mine were rusty, they got repaired, treated inside and welded together outside before being body worked
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Corrected my [post above to specify that the double wall beds were used '73-up and they are worse in terms of rust.

I guess my main point is that the way the upper and lower panels are joined pretty much guarantees rust along that seam. Even if you weld the seams together from the outside, there will be water and air contacting raw steel through the seam opening on the inside. Not sure how it would have been built otherwise, but the design promotes rust. Any type of a flange between two body panels like that will rust.

I presume it's not as bad for newer cars that dunk the whole body in primer and use plated steel.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Thanks for your input Tgreese.

Sounds like I am lucky to have the single wall bed... And here I was thinking I had the rustiest J truck on the planet.
This rig will be living under a shed or garage from here on out, so I don't have too much concern on it rusting in the future.
Although the humid climate of Georgia may start to eat away at the seam regardless.
If it does, I reckon I will just fix it again!

Moving forward, would you suggest cutting along the bed seam with an angle grinder and cut off wheel, or try and remove the spot welds with the die grinder? I have a feeling the later will lead to a better job at the end, but I am an apprentice body worker at best and am having a hard time even locating the spot welds.

Thinking if I can just separate the tail caps from the main bed it will leave the 90 degree flange in tact.
This way I have something to weld the new tail caps on to from the back side.

Glad the Impaler

Post by Glad the Impaler »

For what it's worth - here's my post on bobbing my single wall 8ft bed to a 7ft bed (primarily for offroading benefits).

My bed was in pretty good condition - so the reason for bobbing was not rust related at all.

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 40#p209889

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Hey Glad the Impaler.
Thanks for the info. I have been following your build for some time now, but I didn't realize you had about finished it up!
Looking great by the way. Admirable fab work, and the craftsmanship is outstanding.
I was thinking about bobbing mine, but I just couldn't bring myself to chop the frame.
If departure angle ends up being too much of an issue I might consider this, but for right now I am just going to run a heavy bumper and if I drag so be it.
I do think I might end up with a cleaner bed if I just cut it straight across like you did. Then it will just be one weld versus 3.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Howdy Y'all.
Hope everyone has been doing well this past week.

I have gotten the rusted tail caps off of the bed, and have some somewhat clean metal to work with.
I tried a variety of methods including; grinding the spot welds with the a die grinder, punching the spot welds out with a spot weld remover drill bit and cutting the spot welds with an angle grinder and cut off wheel.

I found that the best and easiest way to get them off was to use the drill bit. It is quick, quiet and leaves the panel relatively intact.
This does have it's limitations though, as this method only works on easily accesible spot welds that you can get a drill into.

For the inner bed seam, I ended up cutting between the two panels with an angle grinder.
At first I was hitting the spot welds with a die grinder, but being inside the bed wall this just made for a PITA.
Also it would direct the hot sparks and shavings right back at me off the bed wall, and with the heat index being 108 I tired of this very quickly.

Anyways, here are some photos of the current progress. Currently in the process of removing the patch panels from the donor bed.

I also got the fender patch 70% finished. Just need to fill in some pin holes and blend the welded seam a little better.
Last edited by Harry Dawg on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Bed picsImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Tools usedImage

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Afternoon y'all.
Hope everyone is doing well and getting some work done on their projects.
I've got the back end of this truck somewhat put back together.
Welded in part of the bed bottom as you can see in red, and have the tail caps mocked up with vice grips and C clamps.
Going to spot weld them back in at the factory points.
Only problem is, the factory bed is about a 1/8" wider than the tail caps on both sides.
Not a huge deal, but i figured I'd get y'alls thoughts.
I'm thinking I'll tack some u- bolts onto the inner bed sides, and use a come along to pull the sides closer together. Once everything is in position, I'll weld the tail caps.
I think I might warp the bed, but this thing is kind of beat at this point already.
Alternatively, I'm thinking of just leaving it like it is as to not make the situation worse!

ImageImageImage

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Make sure to fit the tailgate before you tack the rear corners on, as you might need to pull the sides of the bed in then tack, so it all fits correctly.

Or might need to push the corners out to match the bed so tailgate will fit correctly?

Just thinkin' :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

devildog80 wrote:Make sure to fit the tailgate before you tack the rear corners on, as you might need to pull the sides of the bed in then tack, so it all fits correctly.

Or might need to push the corners out to match the bed so tailgate will fit correctly?

Just thinkin' :)
Good point!
The thought had crossed my mind, but in my excitement I totally forgot about this critical step.
Good thing the tail caps didn't line up perfect.
Saved me from a rookie mistake, as I would have burned them in if they fit right off the rip.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

And just like that, the bed is back together!
Thanks for everyone's input.
Just gotta finish up some minor rust repair and the bed will be good to go.
Gonna have to put some Bondo on the bottoms of the tail caps where I had to weld in patches but oh well. That's old vehicles for ya!
ImageImage

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That was a ton of work to do, and looks like it came out pretty well.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

I think so.
If nothing else it looks better than when I started!