Back from paint - now wood grain?

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
ejeffrjr

Back from paint - now wood grain?

Post by ejeffrjr »

Next step: Wood grain. Looking for advice:
- Best/cheapest source for wood grain and molding

-What was the original color wood grain for 1987? BJs Off Road was nice enough to send samples of Marine Teak and Cherry Oak. I've called and sent inquiries to BJ's but no response. Also, they offer a $599 option and a $799 option. What's the difference?

-I see guides on YouTube for applying the Wood Grain. Are there any guides for applying the molding?

-On YouTube, Applying the wood grain looks pretty straight forward but I've had people tell me I should hire a professional. Anyone have any experience doing it? I'm pretty handy, but haven't done this before.

Thanks & Happy New Year!
Screen Shot 12-26-21 at 11.05 AM.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: Back from paint - now wood grain?

Post by will e »

I like it the way it is!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

+1 as is she looks tremendous.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Just say no to shelf paper!

In other words, it looks great without.

Anyhoo, I've seen pics of installing it, Idunno where prolly youtube. I'ts done like window tint where you wet the surface with soap solution and squeegee it on.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

iharding

Post by iharding »

Another vote for no wood grain. I like the current look

will e

Post by will e »

My 81 had what my wife referred to as 'tasteful' wood trim. This was factory original but no longer available. You might be able to source some used or get something similar aftermarket. It broke up the panel line a bit but wasn't as complicated as the full wood.

Don't get me wrong. I think with that color a 'full wood' set on yours would look really sharp! What front grill are you planning on using?

82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

Does he have to drill holes to install the factory wood?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I fink it depends on the year. My '84 was stuck on with foam tape but I think at some later years there were holes.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
ejeffrjr

Post by ejeffrjr »

Thanks everyone! I'm torn between the look as is and the wood grain. I'm all about original, so I'm leaning toward the wood grain. I may enjoy it as in in the spring and then decide. Anyone know if any Grand Wagoneers came from the factory without Wood Grain?

The vehicle had rivets for the molding. I filled them in just in case. The replacement moldings are peel & stick.

This is a solid, no rust vehicle. Just the paint & wood grain was really faded.
Screen Shot 12-27-21 at 03.19 PM.JPG
I have the original grill, just need some time to reinstall it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Post by will e »

It was smart of you to delete the rivets and give yourself options.
As far as I know all of the Grand Wagoneers enjoyed the 'full wood treatment'.
I have never seen an aftermarket kit look 'original'. The color is always a bit off. But most folks won't notice and your truck will be handsome either way.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’m not a fan of the full wood treatment, wouldn’t kick it to the curb just not a fan. I’d do throw back to the 60’s and do a woodgrain stripe to pay tribute to super wagoneers. I think it looks awesome but something to break it up a bit would be over the top cool.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

GJH

Post by GJH »

What is the cost to get a G.W. painted with no color change.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

I'm sure you could get by cheap with a can of paint and a roller, or send it to a body shop where your first born and DD will be needed to pay for it, as it mostly depends on how much of the prep work you will do, and how much you want them to do.

Price range......$30 up to $10,000+

Take it to several area body shops, get estimates, and check out lots of youtube vids to be informed.

Might check with local Community College, Tech School, or High School, that has a larger auto shop. See if you can get on their schedule if not in a rush?
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If cost were the primary consideration, I would look into any local "one day" car painters. I expect this will be as cheap as DIY, if you're not set up to paint. I have done a couple of cars this way.

AFAIK the days of the $30 paint job are looong gone. I would expect to pay several hundred dollars for an acceptable one-day type respray. No body work, basic sanding and masking, catalyzed paint. Doors and hood shut, common colors, no custom color. Mask the backsides of the hood and door cracks yourself, to prevent overspray through them. Possible the shop will only have standard colors, and you'll have to pick the one that best matches.

There was a place in my area that advertised in the local Craigs list for resprays. You might find a similar individual or business near you.

A factory-quality respray with color match and door jambs will be thousands of dollars, if you can find a place that does restoration work. Best to not change color - it saves a lot of work, and looks better, but it's no magic ticket to a cheap paint job.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Yup....for the most part, the $30 paint job is gone.....

Or is it?

A can of paint just sittin' there

A roller/brush just sittin' there

Two guys just sittin' there...sharing a 12 pack of select alcoholic beverage, just came back from off roading the truck

One says he likes the color of "mud" on the truck

Cost - about $30 :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified