wim's '84 blue hemi swap - now with sound!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Since the broken and chipped pig nose grill is going, what alternative do you like best:

egg crate (Boobie)
33%
razor grille
67%

Total votes: 39

Yeller

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by Yeller »

Awesome Mile Stone for sure!

Question about the dual fuel filters. I use those regulators all the time and they are a filter as well. is there a reason for the filter before it? They were not done that way from the factory installation. Nothing wrong with it, just curious.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Yeller wrote:Awesome Mile Stone for sure!

Question about the dual fuel filters. I use those regulators all the time and they are a filter as well. is there a reason for the filter before it? They were not done that way from the factory installation. Nothing wrong with it, just curious.
I have no idea to be honest, the Jeep is getting a hemi, and I ordered the in-tank pump assembly at bj’s Offroad, this is how it came. You are giving me some food for thought though. The tank is clean so why would I put two filters in one line. Hmm, I might change that back to only the regulator/filter

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

The only reason I see to use both would be to protect the filter/regulator from a pump failure. The inline filter is more readily available. In your part of the world that filter/regulator may be difficult to come by. To my knowledge that is strictly a Chevrolet C5 Corvette piece for the factory application. That in-line filter is from just about everything GM from early 90’s to present.

I carry a spare fuel pump and filter/regulator in all of my vehicles that use one due to them not being readily available at the parts counter. But my pumps are mounted on the frame rail.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

That’s what I thought when I started searching just now, I have a spare regulator (came new with the engine I bought) so that would actually not be a major concern..

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Work slowly progressing due to me doing actual paid work :),
But I got to do something today, rebuild one of the door lock mechanisms, greased it and mounted it in the left rear door.

The remaining doors and tailgate are waiting for a ton of parts so I left these alone today.

Then it was time to try something ( hold my drink)

I mocked up the new electronic gas pedal. It’s close but not perfect, the new pedal has about 2/3 of travel compared to the original one so I’m not sure if I’ll keep it there or if I’ll push it to the firewall a bit more

The pedal is mounted on a plastic wedge that mounts to the firewall, I think I’ll mock up a couple of versions in wood, or if I’m adventurous 3D print the final one once I have the angle right.
Below a comparison between the old on the left and the new in its final position

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I'll be doing fuel pedal mock up soon too...maybe that's the excuse to buy a 3D printer :) I'll be watching to see how yours ends up. Also waiting on parts to start reassembling the doors so we're in a similar boat.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

Nothing major worth taking photos of, and I completely forgot to take them.

My dad came over last Friday to help me mount the doors and the tailgate. Glad these are in, incredible how many shim plates Jeep used allover the place and how much they differ from side to side.
door left front: no shims
door right front: 2 behind the hinge plates and 1 behind the lock catch
door left rear: 2 shims top hinge, 1 shim bottom hinge, 4 behind the lock catch
door left rear: no shims behind hinges, but 4(!) behind the lock catch plate.

Amazing to see how much adjustment is needed to get them to line up properly. I bagged and tagged all the hinges and bolts, but when I took the Jeep apart the rear doors did not align properly either so that is going to be major work

The gaps between the body and the doors are not perfect, and never will be, but I'll be adjustinng with shims behind the hinges to make it align better. I'll make pictures next couple of weeks to show the difference.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:28 am Nothing major worth taking photos of, and I completely forgot to take them.

My dad came over last Friday to help me mount the doors and the tailgate. Glad these are in, incredible how many shim plates Jeep used allover the place and how much they differ from side to side.
door left front: no shims
door right front: 2 behind the hinge plates and 1 behind the lock catch
door left rear: 2 shims top hinge, 1 shim bottom hinge, 4 behind the lock catch
door left rear: no shims behind hinges, but 4(!) behind the lock catch plate.

Amazing to see how much adjustment is needed to get them to line up properly. I bagged and tagged all the hinges and bolts, but when I took the Jeep apart the rear doors did not align properly either so that is going to be major work

The gaps between the body and the doors are not perfect, and never will be, but I'll be adjustinng with shims behind the hinges to make it align better. I'll make pictures next couple of weeks to show the difference.
I had similar experience when test fitting the front doors. I only have two doors and that was enough work and they definitely weren't exact. Interesting that you had shims behind the hinge plates. I didn't. I also bagged and tagged everything. The hinge pins on mine are a little warn so replacing those. I hope that gets me closer and takes a bit of sag out. May have to make some shims for behind hinges to get it closer. Definitely a two person job!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

Something worth showing might be the complete bodywork process that has been done over the last couple of months:

So below is a Pile of Jeep… heading off to the bodyshop part of the garage

Then blasting and sanding could commence:

After sanding time to epoxy the lot!

Now that it is all protected, time to flatten the highs, pull up the lows, and make sure this thing becomes flat again:

Then do the same thing with the main body, but there I had to fix the rear quarter window area and weld the unused firewall holes shut.

The rear quarter windows are very sensitive to rust, 3 layers of steel pinch welded and closed with bodyfiller kit in a vertical orientation with a design that asks water to sit underneath the rubber and seep in. I cut about 1 inch out of the rusty top along 80% of the length of the window and made a corner that blends in and covers the other 2 pinch welded layers. Now the design is the same as the old so the window still fits, but no more vertical layers of steel forming a water trap.

Then repeat the panel treatment of epoxy, flattening on the body

Did not take any pictures of the primer stage so the next stage I have is everything painted.

Since it was on the column bridge now we could do the bottom:

This was basically 4 stages:
1:- clean (amazing how little paint was on the bottom
2:- primer
3:- black body protector
4:- satin black epoxy paint

So the bottom was last but not least, this thing should not rust anymore for quite some years!
Last edited by wimsurf on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Beautiful...never get tired of looking at that!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Since I'm mostly waiting on parts that I have to ship to Europe, I started drawing my dashboard.
After seeing what @laredo Matt did with his dash I start to think again that I should not just install a 1 on 1 replacement set of gauges.

The reason is that the original dash triggers my OCD, let me show you what I mean.

the steering wheel is the center of my seating position and view. the 3 gauges are off center to the left.

so I mocked up some options:
1:- 3 gauges, attempt to center them will be hard because of space needed on the right, auxiliary gauges to the right of the original cluster in place of the ashtray

2:- 2 gauges, everything in those two gauges easy to center, but due to larger diameter, necessary to adjust the cluster area slightly

3:- @ gauges 1968 camaro style with rectangular aux gauges in the ashtray area

The gauges are all Dakota Digital, and all require some fabrication.
My preference is 2 gauges and centered, but doubting between the universal style and the camaro style
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Went to the shop today and aligned the doors, had to make some shims because when I took it all apart the doors were not aligned properly to begin with.

Lots of adjusting, taking apart the old lock mechanisms, greasing it all up etc, I’ll make some detail pictures next week, looking pretty good right now and most important, did not damage the new paint job either Image

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Will you be able to see all the little gauges in the center of the big 2 with the steering wheel placed where you like it?
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Pablo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm Will you be able to see all the little gauges in the center of the big 2 with the steering wheel placed where you like it?
that will be a bit of an obstructed view indeed.

There is one option of lowering the location of these gauges to underneath the glovebox, so they will be in between the airco vents and the center console.

the other option is getting the to big gauges that have the fuel, oil, temp etc built in. I think it will have to be that to have a complete dash in ons spot and keep a clean look.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Great job, doors look awesome and no paint dings...well done!

I'll be watching for your detailed / updated pictures of the process. I'm going to be hanging mine over the coming weeks. First is to get them all built back up now that i have all parts back (window glass channels etc.) from powder coat and new seals etc. First, have to replace the hinge pins. Started working on that today but like everything, they are not being nice :)

I suspect, based on m pre-0paint test fit, I'm going to have similar challenges as you getting them just right.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote:Great job, doors look awesome and no paint dings...well done!

I'll be watching for your detailed / updated pictures of the process. I'm going to be hanging mine over the coming weeks. First is to get them all built back up now that i have all parts back (window glass channels etc.) from powder coat and new seals etc. First, have to replace the hinge pins. Started working on that today but like everything, they are not being nice :)

I suspect, based on m pre-0paint test fit, I'm going to have similar challenges as you getting them just right.
And you are lucky with only two doors Image

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

made another dashboard option with the Dakota Digital HDX -2024:

This is a six dial set that I added a clock to. it seems I am able to add the most important dials for temp and fuel to the center, by putting the speed and rev counter a bit more to the side.

in the place for the ashtray and the original clock I will then put additional vents, and where the radio was 3 more dials.

so far this is my favorite..
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:33 pm
Laredo Matt wrote:Great job, doors look awesome and no paint dings...well done!

And you are lucky with only two doors Image

I was thinking that very thing as I was typing that ;)

I like the new gauge layout you proposed. When I filled in the opening for ashtray I measured it and the clock. Its just the right size for a set of vintage air ducts/vents. With your fancy photoshopping I now know exactly how it will look when complete. The image still looks to have factory AC or is that a siimline under dash unit from Vintage air you mocked in?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:15 am I like the new gauge layout you proposed. When I filled in the opening for ashtray I measured it and the clock. Its just the right size for a set of vintage air ducts/vents. With your fancy photoshopping I now know exactly how it will look when complete. The image still looks to have factory AC or is that a siimline under dash unit from Vintage air you mocked in?
The image has the original AC because I plan to only keep the original ducting of that and epoxy it so it will work as a bottom outlet for the vintage air unit. one thing that needs fixing is that also this unit is not symmetrical (the center vents are off center :banghead: )

I already took a grinder to delete the original ac components from the ducting. I'll have to take it apart and piece it together a bit more to make it symmetrical in the center..

That way it will look original, but it’s still a vintage air technically

boy the amount of work that an obsession brings along is insane :)
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:18 am
The image has the original AC because I plan to only keep the original ducting of that and epoxy it so it will work as a bottom outlet for the vintage air unit. one thing that needs fixing is that also this unit is not symmetrical (the center vents are off center :banghead: )
got it.

boy the amount of work that an obsession brings along is insane :)
I hear ya :D
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E