"Plate" Between Engine and Transmission

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Keymo

"Plate" Between Engine and Transmission

Post by Keymo »

Hey all! :mrgreen:

What is the official name of the plate that appears to go between the Engine and Transmission?

It's pretty thin - almost looks like it's just a piece of sheet metal. I've "Googled" it and I keep getting results saying it's the Flexplate - but I'm 99% sure that's not right at all. I've also looked up "Bellhousing to engine plate" and found an image that looks like it's similar to that plate - but I would like to be able to confirm what it's officially called for the purposed of getting a new one. When trying to get anything from the parts stores around here you pretty much have to tell them EXACTLY what you're looking for - especially when getting parts for my J-truck - otherwise they're clueless most of the time.

The reason I'm asking about it is when I was crawling around under my J-truck yesterday (got her back up and running after sitting half the winter) I noticed that there were a few pretty big cracks in that plate and a triangular chunk that had been broken out of it. How bad is it to continue to drive her with this plate cracked/broken? She didn't seem to drive any different then she had before... Maybe even a little better - but it's also a lot warmer out than last time I drove her!

I'm currently at work, but I can snag a picture in the morning to give y'all a better idea of what I'm talking about if needed...
1973 J-4800 (Agnes) - Primarily Stock - 360 V8, 4-speed Manual Tranny, QT T-case, Upgraded MSD Ignition with Blaster2 coil, 33" shoes...

TO DO:
Replace most of the weatherstripping
Re-wiring (cab and engine compartment)
Replace bucket seats with Bench seat
Repaint, Undercoating and Bedliner
Possible FI or TBI upgrade in the future...

NEED:
Bench Seat
New Wiring Harnesses
Two "4 wheel drive" badges and Quadratrac badge for tailgate

muddy

Re: "Plate" Between Engine and Transmission

Post by muddy »

Is the truck an auto or manual? If it's a manual, you do not have a flexplate.

Does the "plate" have teeth around the perimeter? Is it circular in shape?

Do a google image search of "flex plate" and one for "inspection cover", then compare the pictures.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like you are talking about the dust shield. Goes between the engine and bell housing. Should have an upper and lower piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

It's a dust shield for the most part but it is important as far as spacing the trans back from the engine. It isn't crucial for it to be in perfect condition as long as the perimeter that gets sandwich between the trans bell and engine block is there.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I think the OP is talking about the metal piece that goes between the engine and transmission, not the transmission dust shield. I don't know of an "official" name, either. But as long as it's there and taking up space, I don't think a crack or two will matter. AFAIK, it just aligns the starter motor and, as mentioned, takes up space and thus is critical in that aspect. It's under compression, so I don't think cracks will matter.

No, I've never seen one available as a replacement part.

X2 on what Addicted said.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

FSJ Guy wrote:I think the OP is talking about the metal piece that goes between the engine and transmission, not the transmission dust shield. I don't know of an "official" name, either. But as long as it's there and taking up space, I don't think a crack or two will matter. AFAIK, it just aligns the starter motor and, as mentioned, takes up space and thus is critical in that aspect. It's under compression, so I don't think cracks will matter.

No, I've never seen one available as a replacement part.

X2 on what Addicted said.
On automatics thats all it does. On a manual it is a dust shield, and it is two pieces, and upper and lower. The lower can be removed with the transmission bolted up so that you can access the fly wheel.

Not sure if he has a manual or auto though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

If it is cracked make sure that all the bolts are tight around the bellhousing.

Topic author
Keymo

Post by Keymo »

Hey all!

Sorry for the late checking back in! I meant to check back and post a picture after work but had to go help my Dad with something... Them I had some other things I had to deal with over the last few days and finally got around to getting back on the internet.

Anyways, to answer the first question - I have a manual transmission (4-speed) - I HATE driving autos... Haha! . I'm pretty sure it's the "dust shield" that others have posted about - not a flex plate... I went out and took a picture just now. You can see the triangle piece that's busted out of it. There's also cracks running from the left to the "lower" bolt. While I was under there I checked the bolts as jsinajeep said and they are all TIGHT. I wasn't able to get any of them any tighter than they already were...

Muddy - From what I've sen, I'm 99.99% sure it's NOT the flexplate. Plus, I've been driving my truck for the past two days and she's ran GREAT. The GF and I even filled her up today and I evidently filled her up to the nozzle because gas was dripping from the tank - so I did some pretty intense takeoffs to burn the excess gas off just for fun and she handles it pretty well (and no more dripping upon parking her). Is that plate officially called an "Inspection cover" then? From what others have said it doesn't seem like an necessary item to have "perfect" but with my Jeeps I like things to be in the best condition I can provide them...

Addicted - LOVE your avatar! PERFECT! I bleed almost every time I work on my YJ or my T-truck! :D

Here's the picture I took:
The "silver" part pf the picture is the rear part of the oil pan/engine...
mail.google.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1973 J-4800 (Agnes) - Primarily Stock - 360 V8, 4-speed Manual Tranny, QT T-case, Upgraded MSD Ignition with Blaster2 coil, 33" shoes...

TO DO:
Replace most of the weatherstripping
Re-wiring (cab and engine compartment)
Replace bucket seats with Bench seat
Repaint, Undercoating and Bedliner
Possible FI or TBI upgrade in the future...

NEED:
Bench Seat
New Wiring Harnesses
Two "4 wheel drive" badges and Quadratrac badge for tailgate