Dream Build

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jesse J

Dream Build

Post by Jesse J »

I have had this idea for a while but I really want to get a j20 and put it on an f series chassis with a cummins in it it as my tow rig so I can tow my comanche around. My mj already has 312k miles on it (4.0 for life) and doesn't need more. This would probably happen once I A. "finish" my comanche an B. when I have the cash.
87 metric ton comanche. keep jeepin on

SJTD

Re: Dream Build

Post by SJTD »

Why bother with the F chassis rather than the Dodge and make it more complicated? Or are you thinking the leaf spring F's.

A feller on here (I think, Might be the other site) did that to a Dodge, can't remember his pseudonym, but he's pretty active and will likely chime in.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jesse J

Post by Jesse J »

mostly because a singlecab (8th gen I think) has the exact same wheelbase as a j series.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Fair enough. But which is more trouble shortening/extending the frame or swapping the motor?

Not trying to tell you what's best, just tossing ideas around. You've obviously already given this some thought.

But if you dream, dream big. Make it an extended cab. I wish Jeep had.

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17923
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jesse J

Post by Jesse J »

I am not gonna make it an extended cab. It will look funky and I don't need it.

that is smart about using a chassis I should do some research on that. seems clever enougn

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The Ram chassis dont work well because of the front axle location. So it really doesn't line up well. But the ford chassis does. Hodson Motorsports actually has a custom built quad cab J-Truck on an F550 chassis, its a beast.

He is also building a wide trac wagoneer right now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Jesse J

Post by Jesse J »

that thing is cool looks great as a dually. also there have been plenty of cummins swapped f series so not to hard. It would also be easier to choose where to to put the engine to avoid fire wall or whatnot. I would probably give it a tiny "body lift" (just mount the body higher off the chassis) just because I think they look cooler like that and a suspension lift will kill my towing. this thing will probably only see dirt roads at the most because any serious stuff I have my comanche for lol.