Holley Hydro Mat

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
TeaBag

Holley Hydro Mat

Post by TeaBag »

Anybody used a Holley Hydro Mat and if so, what shape?

I have a WALBRO in tank pump I'm running with my FITECH EFI and am having problems with engine stalling due to fuel slosh when I get around a 1/4 tank full on inclines and deceleration.

I think the Hydro mat is a good solution. Holley is making them now with a 6 lock pin connector so they connect directly to the WALBRO where the standard WALBRO strainer would connect.

From previous tank work, I know there is a shallow sump directly below the fuel sender access hole, but I can't remember how deep it is or the diameter. Not sure if just getting a small hydro mat to lay in the sump portion of the tank would work or if I need to get something bigger that would cover a lot more surface area?

anybody know approx dimensions of the sump (diameter and depth)?

Anybody used a hydro mat under similar conditions?

Renodemona

Re: Holley Hydro Mat

Post by Renodemona »

Are you using an in tank pump? If not I would think for the effort and $$$ going to a Tanks-Inc PA style might serve you better in the long run.

In answer to your original question, I'm afraid I can't provide any insight, other than the stock coffin tanks are notorious for weird sloshing because they have no baffling.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

Yes- In tank pump.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I know this might sound harsh, but since our rigs weren't designed for EFI, the stock tank may always give you problems. Getting to 1/4 tank is actually better than most of us can say. Best advice and cheapest option - keep her filled up when you get close to 1/4 tank. Better at 1/2.

Aside from that, the next option would be the surge tank in the engine bay. And finally, the best option is to spend the money once and get a baffled tank (BJ's etc.) with an in tank pump and extra capacity and call it a day.

Will all depend on what you want to do with the Waggy. Weekend driver, option 1 or 2. Long tripper, option 3.

I have learned with going EFI, it's all about peace of mind. I know the stock tank doesn't do well below 1/2 tank. So far I am still on option 1, but plan soon to go option 3.