'66 J Truck Interior

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Brly

'66 J Truck Interior

Post by Brly »

I finally put a radio into my truck a couple months ago. It's a stand alone system, bluetooth/AM/FM/Input and stuck a set of Undercover 2 speakers behind the seat. It works great and sounds good enough for me, until I get up to road speed. At 50 mph+ the road noise is so bad I can't hear the radio. My truck has nothing on the floors except a rubber floor mat on each side.
Has anyone used the vinyl floor kit from BJ's? Does it fit well? I'm not too crazy about carpet.
I'd like to get the ABS door panels from Men in Black, maybe the headliner too.
What about the back of the cab? Any recommendations to finish it off?
Dynamat (or similar) would go down first where possible.
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20

Herk

Re: '66 J Truck Interior

Post by Herk »

You will notice a big difference if you use a sound deadener product (I've had acceptable results with Peel & Seal). The cab floor acts like a big speaker (and radiator in the summer).

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

I used Kilmat , it is like dynamat and others ,but a far better price and an excellent product . I really like it and it does a great job quieting down Noise in the cab . I put it up forward on inner firewall as high as I could. Up to the fiber board inner original covering . If your is gone , then go up higher and get it on any place you can including the rear of cab behind the seat. I put in carpet with mass back and by far the best thing for quiet . I agree I'd rather have the rubber floor mat . However the carpet with the mass backing really made the ultimate change though for a quiet ride at 65 MPH. So best decision to make if you want quiet is go this route .
I would think the rubber floor liner mat will also help laying it over the Kilmat , but cannot say just how much it will reduce it . I just know what worked for me and it's pretty darn quiet now .

SansabarJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im a big/huge fan of bed liner inside the cab. It will fill-in small holes, stop rust and kill road noise. Bed Liner with insulating mat with the rubber floor covering from BJs is the way to go. I've also used Lizard Skin witch is better at deadening sound but isnt nearly as durable.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

For my 68 I rolled herculiner on the floors then slapped on a dynamat type product and carpet over that. I honestly don’t notice any noise reduction. My truck runs and drives like a rowdy v8 powered hot rod and there’s no getting around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

Thanks for the replies! I definitely get a lot of heat through the floor and firewall. I'll look into the Kilmat. I intend to put it anywhere it can be covered.
Rocklaurence - Have you actually used the BJ's vinyl floor mat? It says it's molded, so I was curious if it fit well or if it will be wrinkled here and there.
44bz - Do you have anything on the doors, firewall, back of cab, etc? I could see if you just did the floor that it might not quiet things down much.
The drivers side floor has a hole that has been patched with a piece of screwed down aluminum before I got the truck. I want to take that out and weld in a proper patch before I get into the finishing things off. Good winter project.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

In my experience, the biggest place that sound enters into a J-Truck cab is through the rear wall. If you dynomat (or similar), the rear wall is a must. And for the doors, there is a thinner type pad intended for doors. Its very similar to what you would see on the underside of the stainsteel kitchen sink to keep them from sounding thin and tinny.

If the doors or rear wall isn't done, you will still get lots of sound inside.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

The kilmat i put up under dash in open spots and inside doors . But yes as was said , back of cab . Kilmat there too for sure . Also on the roof of cab . Anyplace the thin sheetmetal can vibrate or have noise . Kilmat is Peel and stick it on . Really nice stuff . You will notice a big difference . I heard the BJ mats don't fit very good , but you may use a heat gun to help mold it down . I understand it ok. Some guys did not like the fit lime over the hump for trans . But search for other threads on that cause I have not tried the mats . I will tell you this , the inside roof let 8n alot of sound especially wind noise flowing around top of cab. That was surprisingly bad . I did that and a headliner and that made a huge difference as well.

Sansabarj

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, I have installed two BJs vinyl mats in my trucks. The mat is folded when shipped and it has to lie/settle to fit. A heat gun will accelerate the process and I used the 1/2 [Drier Lint] insulating mat under it. I also used Bedliner on the roof and rear wall. Then I made a backing board with foam panel on the rear wall. Most on my noise comes through the door seals.

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

More good information. Thanks to all!

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

There is that nice metal strip for the backing board to fit up into on these cabs . I bought extra ACC carpet to do my backing board . I found the previous owner had glued 3/4" black sponge rubber sheeting to the rear inside cab . Really cuts the noise down . I can't use that metal strip to fit in the backing board however , so deciding on wether or not to take rubber out , Kilmat it and then carpeted backing board . My interior is abit cushy and nice so adding the trim carpet back there is just for my benefit . I figure it will give just as much quiet and look alot nicer

SansabarJ

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I have herculiner on the wall under the rear window, I can’t remember if I put dynomat on there tho. I did put dynomat on the roof and the doors just have abs panels from MIB. Mine probably isn’t the best representation because my exhaust ends at the muffler which is right behind the cab so I’m sure it’s louder than most to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar