Anyone have a millermatic 211?

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
Phils67

Anyone have a millermatic 211?

Post by Phils67 »

Anybody here have a Millermatic 211 autoset? I've used the 212 at my last job and loved it, the 211 is about half the price and duty cycle but will still burn up to 3/8 no problem in a single pass. I've watched videos and reviews but looking for someone that actually owns it and uses it on a regular basis to give feedback. Someone that's had it a while. The cost doesnt scare me and I'm partial to Millers. Just not sure if I should pony up for the 212 knowing I wont use it on a daily basis. I want a welder that will out-live me
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

SkylinePCG

Re: Anyone have a millermatic 211?

Post by SkylinePCG »

I picked up the older 211 maybe 8 years ago. It was my first machine, and it lived in the basement of a firehouse in the Bronx for about 3 years where I learned and practiced on all kinds of anything that guys would bring in from home, things we broke at work, training props, car problems, sheet metal to 1/2” iron, clean rusty, indoors and out... it was a horrible life for any tool. It never once skipped a beat. We ran all sizes of wire, both flux core and argon/co2 shielded. The newer 211 looks lighter and has more features, but the older one I got has been zero-regrets awesome. I don’t think you can go wrong with a 211.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I kinda figured when someone eventually replied they'd be praising it lol I just had to hear it from someone that actually owns one and not just auto-generated web reviews. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Simo

Post by Simo »

I've had a 211 for the better part of a decade and like it. For me as well, it was entry into a 220v miller machine at a lower cost than a larger machine & duty cycle. Im just a diy hobbyist using it a few times a month tinkering on beat up rock crawlers: roll cages, bumpers, rock sliders, floor pans, and occasionally burning in some tabs and trusses to thicker axle tubes. I even got a spool gun and argon bottle for some occasional aluminum work. So it's handled a mix of thicknesses and materials with all Ive needed and never cycled off. I had a problem at one point with the mig wire shorting between the roller and the lead that seemed to be due to debris getting in the line over time but this is probably something that could happen on any machine without any maintenance. I try to do a better job now of blowing out the lead periodically and also added a simple kit from airgas basically consisting of a small scotch brite pad clipped around the wire coming off the spool to clean it before it enters the lead.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I bought my 211 the first year this model was released with the dual voltage input. Like the others, mine did 2.5 yrs in an off road shop as my primary welder. I have run mine to the point of it over heating and had to let it cool several times. I just recently replaced the gun with a longer one and it burns like a new machine.

I have a buddy that likes mine so much, he went and bought the newer, lighter version. After using his, there are a couple things about the newer models I don't like. One being the fan. Older it runs when the machine is on. The new one cycles off when done welding. When you pull the trigger, the arc starts, and the fan slowly starts to build rpm.. I do small spot welds that need good penitration and wasn't getting the same results from the newer machine. I got to the point that I would keep a piece of scrap to start the fan, let it come to speed, then do my tacks. Actually made my progress take more time..
Hope this helps someone.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Did you check the manual for programing? You should be able to set a manual hot start.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

It's not my machine. There could be, just didn't have immediate access to it, was the first time using it, and honestly expected the same performance as mine. There I go assuming again...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

the 211's have a lot of programable settings. Been a while but I believe it even has a stitch timer. I've been lusting after its big brother for a while the 255... I really want the ability to have pulse mig, it can really open up a lot of possibilities, especially doing highly visible welds. With minimal practice be able to make machine looking welds.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Been a year or so, I bought the 211. It isn't the welder the 212 was but I love this thing, had it a few months now. Burns beautifully. Can lay dimes for days. Thanks for the feedback. It's a kickass unit like I suspected it would be. I don't regret it for a second