Looking to get a crash course in FSJ ('75 J10) knowledge

Area for General FSJ related chat.

letank

Re: Looking to get a crash course in FSJ ('75 J10) knowledge

Post by letank »

GoMopar440 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:32 am For anyone that's interested, the carb casting is a 1.08.
the 1.08 is what I have on the 74... everybody wondered which I had such a good gas mileage... it took about until 2012 when I realized I had a 1.08 while everyone had a 1.22...

Yes the power valve is different, it is internally activated, no manifold vacuum hose
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The tall power valve is two-stage, and the short one is one stage. There is a deep cover for the 2-stage valve. I'd say you have the wrong kit for that carb. Too bad - the sellers charge a premium of about $20 for the 2-stage valve. Possible you have a kit for a 2150, which has a different style of choke pulloff that's not rebuildable. A 2100 kit should include that diaphragm, in my experience. The 2100 came with both 1-stage (early) and 2-stage (later) valves, in my experience. My J10 has a '76 1.08 2100 with a 2-stage valve from a California 360 Cherokee, so the change in power valve brackets your year.

I don't think there's any difference in the activation of the 2-stage vs the 1-stage PV. In both cases, vacuum is applied to the cover area. With the 2150, the cover has a vacuum nipple, and the 2100 as an internal passage to the cover.

Apparently the QuickFuel power valves will fit a Motorcraft. The new valve should come with a gasket. https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... wer-valves

RockAuto has the choke pulloff diaphragm https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... l+off,6000 Napa should have it too.

You could try a kit for a '72 V8 CJ-5 or a '71 V8 Wagoneer and it should match the earlier 2100 characteristics. Apparently the Hygrade kit does not include the pulloff diaphragm - that's cheesy https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... r+kit,5964 Should be a good kit otherwise.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

The kit I got is the Hygrade from Rock Auto, so yea, no choke diaphragm.

The single stage PV and the cover gasket look fine, so I'm just reusing those for now. Once the truck is running I'll be able to see if they need replacement.

I was able to find and buy a choke diaphragm at a local Autozone, and it'll be in Monday. Since it's easily accessible from the top, it will be easy to swap out.
'75 J10 Thriftside, 360, TH400, BW1339

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Got the choke diaphragm and installed it today. Also took care of the flexible trans lines going to and from the radiator.

I hooked up the rubber fuel hose to the hard line on the frame rail. Then I put air pressure into the rubber line with an air gun to check that the line was clear back to the fuel tank. The air found a large split in the line under the driver door. I've picked up some new fuel line, but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

I was working on replacing the water pump when a thunderstorm pretty much shut me down for the day. I won't be able to finish the water pump until next time I get home, so I'm going to order a new timing set while the front of the engine is still torn down.

Question: What size timing gear width is correct for a stock '75 360? I've seen a few different width options, but aren't sure which one will work. Is there a preferred brand?

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

I'm still working on it.

Need to attach new ps pump and the new pressure and return lines, attach heater and radiator hoses to new water pump, reattach clutch, fan and shroud, replace leaking fuel line and then drain and clean out fuel tank. After that it should just be a matter of draining and replacing all the fluids before I'll be able to take it out for a drive.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Regarding your timing chain question, mmm I don't know offhand. Aren't there double-roller and OEM style gears and chains? I think the usual advice is to get the OEM set, which will come with the chain and both gears. If you post a new thread with a descriptive title you might get more response. I know the timing gears have been covered a lot on the mothership forum (IFSJA.org). Lots of discussion of aligning the oil channel in the gear.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

When I had it running shortly after getting it home it sounded surprisingly good. So for the moment I decided to wait on messing with the timing set until it gives me a reason to. As far as which set, I was thinking of getting the double roller Edelbrock one at BJs since it specifically states that the oil grooves are located properly.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Looks like I'm going to be heading back home way earlier than expected. My mom just passed this afternoon and I've got to go make funeral arrangements and deal with everything else that needs to be tended to. :cry:

letank

Post by letank »

sorry to read about the sad news, deepest sympathy, even as not knowing your Mom, it is a challenging time to deal with the waves of memories, the better memories always warm up our heart and soul
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Sorry to hear of her passing. Wishing you and the family and friends comfort as you remember her and all the good times; and strength while attending to everything else.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I'm back home now and will be doing whatever I have to do for the funeral for the next few days. When I'm not busy with that stuff I'm going to try to turn some wrenches on the Jeep. Its my way of keeping my mind from staying focused on the loss so much.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

I finally had a little free time before sundown so I got couple things done.

The PS pump is mounted and the new hoses are hooked up to it. The fan belts have been routed, but won't be tightened up until the clutch and fan assembly is bolted on.

More to come...

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Clutch and fan installed, fan shroud repaired and installed, upper radiator hose and heater hose to water pump installed. While I was waiting for the epoxy to cure on the shroud I pulled the grille off to straighten it and touch up the black paint. I also repainted the area behind the grille and the front face of the radiator black. Both fan belts were also tensioned and tightened down.

There's not much left to do before I can change the fluids and hopefully be able to take it for a spin.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

The weather has been a little too crappy to work on the Jeep the last couple of days. Tomorrow's looking better, so I'm hoping to get the last few things done that I need to do in order to get it running.

I bought a few more parts lately as well. I got a cargo light switch and a Performer intake from the IFSJA classifieds section. The switch showed up, but the intake isn't here yet. I also ordered this FST 600 cfm Holley clone carb from Summit to go on the intake. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fut-41600

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Wow, you are cranking along on it. Nice grab on the intake and the new carb.
I like how you work several projects at once so there is little down time while waiting for parts, drying, etc.
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Today I got the radiator filled, PS pump filled, brake MC topped off, washer fluid filled, broken section of fuel line replaced. I also added some Stabil, Berryman's fuel system conditioner and 5 gallons of fresh premium (no ethanol) gas to the tank. After installing the battery, it would barely turn over, so I've got the charger hooked up to it now. I did get it running for a second with a shot of starting fluid, but I'll let the battery get a full charge before I mess with it again.

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Thanks to the suggestion I found here on the forum, I signed up on postimages.com and should be able to post images much easier now. Next time I'm home I'll get a few current pictures of the truck and what's been done to it so far. :-bd

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

This time while at home I got the Performer intake cleaned up and then opened up the split in the plenum divider a little (1/2"x3"). With that done I taped off the openings and painted the new intake engine color. Some people may not like to paint aluminum parts, but I'm not one of those guys. This intake was used for a while by the PO and was far from looking like showroom quality if I had left it bare after cleaning it up. Sand blasting would have made it more presentable than Iwas able to get it by hand, but my blast cabinet isn't working right now, so...

The PCV baffle was removed from the 2bbl intake and cleaned up so it could be used on the new intake. I didn't have any of the rivets to secure the baffle to the intake so I drilled and tapped the holes for 10-24 button head screws. I installed the screws with star washers and red loctite so they don't fall into the engine during operation.

The brass vacuum pieces on the rear and the temp sensor were then cleaned, polished and swapped over. The other aluminum and steel parts were painted engine color. I used three aluminum 3/8" NPT plugs to close up two unused holes on the intake and one on the back of the T-stat housing. A pipe tap helped me to get all the plugs further in their holes so they ended up flush across the top instead of being left protruding and showing threads.

The PCV valve grommet on the rear of the intake is in bad shape so I had to order a new one to replace it. Until it gets here in the mail, I just reused the old grommet by smearing it liberally with Ultra Black RTV to hold it together.

The oil fill tube was removed from the 2bbl intake and swapped over after being cleaned and painted. I used some Ultra Black around the mating surface to ensure a leak free seal.

The two port brake booster/power valve vacuum nipple near the front of the carb base was removed and cleaned next. Rather than just reinstalling it with a cap on the unneeded power valve port, I cut that nipple off. The remainiong hole was then drilled and tapped to 1/4"-24 and I installed a set screw with red locite. That's one less vacuum cap to keep track of.

The FST carb has wider metering blocks and fuel bowls than a standard Holley 4150 carb so a regular dual feed fuel line won't work on it. I took the dual feed line I had and tweaked the two bowl ends outward at the bends and then tweaked the ends back inward so the threads were inline with and perpendicular to the float bowl threads. It took a couple tries to get the ends to line up correctly, but not too difficult. The bends Imade were mild enough not to kink the hard line or crack the crome. A flexible AN style fuel line would be a lot easier to fit, but I made due with what I had available to me at the time.

The aftermarket air cleaner didn't have a provision to hook up the breather hose going to the oil fill cap, so I made one with a 90* hose barb and a pipe thread adapter. A step drill was used to make the hole in the air cleaner base and the two pieces were assembled using a couple shaped washers and more of the Black RTV to seal it all up.

The new intake was then mounted to the block with a new valley pan gasket and some RTV at the corners of the china walll gaskets. Everything else was attached to the intake and hooked up.

The valve covers were also removed, cleand up, repainted and reinstalled with new gaskets. The covers had a couple different sizes of bolt heads holding them on, so I bought a full set with matching heads from the hardware store to replace them. Iwas alsop missing about a third of the thick cresent shaped washers, so I bought 1&1/4" thick washers and made my own. You have to look pretty hard to be able to tell which are the original washers and which are the remade ones.

I have pics on my phone, but I'm on my tablet right now and about to get back on the road. I'll try to get on my phone later and edit this post to add the pics as soon as I can.

EDIT: added pics
Last edited by GoMopar440 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Wow, you got quite a bit done in the short time you were home. Will look forward to your pictures once you have time to see that cleaned up/painted intake! Stay safe on the road!
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear

Topic author
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

I forgot to get pics of the painted valve covers, modded air cleaner and everything installed back on the engine. That'll have to wait till the next time I get back home.

The weather was pretty decent during most of my home time so I was able to get a lot done this time. The majority of the work was able to be done inside the barn/shop and I only started one fire (accidentially). It didn't start raining, then snowing, until I went outside to install everything on the truck. :roll:

This is how the truck looked when I left the house today.