front turn signal/parking lamp housing removal question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ferrum

front turn signal/parking lamp housing removal question

Post by ferrum »

I would like to replace bulb sockets on front turn signal/parking lamp housing. I searched the forum but didn't find the answer. Do I need to removed the grill to get to the housing to remove it? I didn't have good access and didn't want to break the housing by prying on it. I would appreciate the help and guidance.
'76 Cherokee Chief

candymancan

Re: front turn signal/parking lamp housing removal question

Post by candymancan »

They should just have two philips screws on the turn signals ? My 90 is just two philips to remove the lense. And the housing is sitting inside by clips. Meaning the housing has plastic arms that clip out to hold itself in place. Just pry em abd it should pull out. I believe on my 90 the clips are on the sides they are part of the actual fixture
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Yes, there are plastic clips on the left and right of the reflector (back part where the bulb is) of the turn signal. I don’t think you can get to them without taking the lens out, which is held in place by two phillips screws. Be careful with the clips as it’s old plastic and is probably super brittle by now. I managed to get mine out , clean them, replace a gasket and put it back in couple month ago without breaking anything. Slow and careful is the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Crown sells new ones for cheap anyway. I replaced all my lenses and side markers when i first git it so they arent faded

letank

Post by letank »

yes, the Tads Tend to break... usually the first one that you try to pry off. The plastic dies not age well, once the housibg pop off while off roading... duct tape... later a dollip of silicon. Even with the proper plastic wedge I managed to bust some at the junkyard.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ferrum

Post by ferrum »

I was able to get the housing out. It was extremely frustrating and ended up enlisting my brother to help. Here’s the picture.

I could be mistaken but housing and clips seems to be metal. Clips basically didn’t bend. It some brute force to get it out.

Once we got the first housing out, second one was easier as we can see where to pry. At first, we were prying on two small tabs that rest on metal lip which didn’t help.

Light sockets were in bad shape. I replaced them with late 90’s GM light sockets with modifications to the housings. I’m glad that I didn’t break the housing.
'76 Cherokee Chief

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Maybe the older ones had metal clips. The later wagoneers and cherokees i guess have cheap plastic clips. Lucky you lol. I wonder what years they changed to plastic.

Your lenses look different than mine too. Mine is 1 amber lense like your clear one. Not a clear and amber combined

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Up to 1976 they used clear lenses and amber bulb, but it looks like there is another option with amber insert like you have. Later years had a single amber lens and I think that’s when they ditched metal clips

Mine was looking like this, you can see plastic clips next to screw holes on chromed part. I bet they are completely interchangeable though

Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

RustyDusty

Post by RustyDusty »

You do have the older style metal dual lens lights. They seem to be a bit bent, but that can be straightened. The sockets you are looking for are for 1157 bulbs. If you search for "1157 socket" on our favorite bidding site, you can find many examples that you could make work. If you could post a photo of the rear and interior of the housing, that might help. Some of the available sockets look like they could be riveted in place once the old one was removed.

If you are looking to be fancy...
https://www.jeepcherokeechief.com/jeep- ... lens-cover
...this guy makes reproduction lenses that come in a kit with gaskets.
1990 Grand Wag
R4B/Holley 4160
I might lament the amount of grease and oil on the underside, until I think about the lack of rust.