Which steering stabilizer to get?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Which steering stabilizer to get?

Post by sirrus »

Can't decide which stabilizer to get: Anyone has experience with any of those? I suppose they are all good quality, but I know nothing about any of them and haven't seen many reviews online.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Which steering stabilizer to get?

Post by Stuka »

NOT the ProComp.

The BDS and Rancho should be fine for you. Funny enough, I have not had one on my J10 for about 12 years. I broke the tab off the spring plate, never bothered fixing it. If your alignment and such is good, you really should not need one for the street. But they can be nice on rough dirt roads.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Thanks! I was thinking about procomp or bds, leaning more towards bds - I’ll get that one then. I know that it should be ok even without it, but still want to get it

Just out of curiosity - why not pro comp? Are they bad? Should I avoid all pro comp stuff or it’s just stabilizer in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I'd steer away (no pun intended) from Rancho. I have their stabilizers and shocks and they were junk from the start. Some people praise them but I would never buy them again. I'm also curious why not Pro-Comp? Shocks and stabilizers or just stabilizers?
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Why do you need a hot rod steering stabilizer?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... amper,7412
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

What do you mean by hot rod stabilizer? I’m ordering a bunch of other stuff from BJs and wanted to get everything I need from one place in one box if possible - that’s the reason I’m looking at those three options

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Well, it seems to me that a premium steering stabilizer would be way down on the want list for most owners. If the original is badly dented, broken or leaking, you might buy an OEM replacement like the Monroe, Gabriel or Moog I listed above. If you really need the stabilizer, IMO it's masking another problem in the front end. Back when Jeep started putting the open knuckle front end in the CJs in 1972 (before the FSJs) - I was there at a dealership - some of them would get a vibration that you could feel in the steering wheel at boulevard speeds. Not all CJs had this problem, and there was a service bulletin to install a stabilizer. There's less damping in the open knuckle axle, compared to the earlier closed knuckle style. The stabilizer is meant to add some damping to the steering and soak up any minor resonance in the front wheels. It's not a particularly vital component.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Thanks for clarification!

Mine is dead - bushings are gone and it’s leaking, so it’s time to replace it. I know that’s not the most important thing in the steering - I’ll also be doing tie rod ends and extra $15 for BDS stabilizer is not too much for me. And again there’s convenience of doing one order instead of having a dozen across different places.

Thanks for input everyone, I really appreciate it