Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum

Post by sonoraed »

Does the gen IV fit in a FSJ ,answer yes like it was made for the fsj,Image

Biggest challenge for me at least was ac lines and heater hosesImage

Of course there are other issues to consider,defrost ducts,dash vents,type of controls to be used,firewall wall mounting,condenser,drier,hoses and lines, compressor, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Re: Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum

Post by sonoraed »

I know lots of you have installed AC in your Jeeps, so please post pictures of your ride and share skills!Image

irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Thanks for starting this thread! Once I start installing mine, I'll post up here as well.

Quick question - I see that the unit mounts to the firewall, was there a strap or mount from the top to the inside dash?
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Here’s a picture of gen IV and bracketsImage
First view is looking at unit from back side (toward dash) blower on the right,ac ducts left,defrost ducts center left.

Next view is parts that come with universal evap,note the brackets (lower right) large bracket mounts unit to firewall,smaller bracket to dash.

Additional parts needed inside cab will be defrost duct (defrost ducts supplied are not long enough), must use Vintage Air controls to operate unit 79 era can use 3 knob/lever (must use some kind of plate over oem heater controls) or 86-91 oem head can be modified with cable converters.

Easy way for AC vents is to buy the underdash vent system from VA (can be painted to match dash), in my truck we used small aluminum vents and made a plenum to conect duct hoses, if I had the chance to do it again would have welded extension to bottom of dash for larger ac vents.

Last is lines and hoses which is the tough part,your going to have to patch holes in firewall by welding them up or bolting in metal plates, aluminum 4 port bulkheads look cool on a clean firewall but are a real challenge because of limited space to make 90 degree turns from heater out/inlets to bulkhead,ac lines can go out oem hole in firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

universal condenser and drier with trinary switch, also used 2 port bulkhead, but can still run the hoses thru the original opening top left of drier

Note: oem style drier doesn't have switch port,the trinary switch is low/hi pressure compressor cut off switch and electric fan switch very useful if using electric radiator fan to provide input to fan controller or to run aux condenser fan with relay

Last edited by sonoraed on Thu May 14, 2020 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Full Size Jeeper

Post by Full Size Jeeper »

Thanks for posting up the pics of your install. This will be a big help for us trying to get some cool air in our rigs. Darin.
1978 Jeep Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 transmission Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Electric Fuel Pump, Razor Grill, Rebuilt steering box

irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Keep 'em coming! Excellent work. Did you make the hoses and pipes yourself?
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

irondawg wrote:Keep 'em coming! Excellent work. Did you make the hoses and pipes yourself?
Yes sir, I make tubes and hoses for a living,Thank you

Full Size Jeeper

The condenser you sent me fits perfect. Thanks.
1978 Jeep Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 transmission Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:

Full Size Jeeper

1978 Jeep Wagoneer

Mods:

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Great glad it worked out, saves a lot of time not fabricating mounting brackets, please post a picture of dryer and tube when you get them installed, I am interested in the length's of tube from condenser to drier, Cheers

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

This was our install, at least the pics I took of it, and the very cool dash that Page Customs customized for me.

One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

BA_051

Post by BA_051 »

I am in the process of getting a parts list together to put AC in my 76 J20... I was going to use factory parts until I saw this thread.

I swapped a Cummins into it and also an 86-91 dash... Sonoraed, does your gen 4 mag use the factory controls or does it have to use the electronic ones?

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I used the original control head modified to use Vintage Air's 66 GTO control module (because it allows you to use the original indak blower switch) also sacrificed a second control head for the lever assembly, I have pictures will post in the future.

traillife_guy

Post by traillife_guy »

Full Size Jeeper wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm The condenser you sent me fits perfect. Thanks.
Where can I get one of these condensers?

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

traillife_guy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:24 am
Full Size Jeeper wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm The condenser you sent me fits perfect. Thanks.
Where can I get one of these condensers?
UAC part# CN3731PFC just google that number or ebay should be $100-150, if you can't find it let me I think my old shop has them in stock (cencal)

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

sonoraed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:38 am Image

universal condenser and drier with trinary switch, also used 2 port bulkhead, but can still run the hoses thru the original opening top left of drier

Note: oem style drier doesn't have switch port,the trinary switch is low/hi pressure compressor cut off switch and electric fan switch very useful if using electric radiator fan to provide input to fan controller or to run aux condenser fan with relay

@Snoraed

I was going to order the UAC condenser you recommended further down in the thread; UAC-CN3731PF. I saw you had a different smaller condenser with an electric push fan (?). Are you also running a pull fan on the backside of the radiator or is that it? Any particular reason you went with that configuration? Still leaning toward buying the UAC condenser but thought I'd ask first.

cheers,
matt
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Hi Matt , My truck was done before I knew about the stock replacement condenser from UAC , the condenser is about the same size as oem, trans cooler to the right drier, aux fan for ac is activated by trinary switch on drier so seperate from LM7 computer, LS radiator from Novak( did not have a trans cooler built in or steam port for LS)rad fan is controlled by computer.
Radiator with built in trans cooler would have been easier if not doing any rock crawing, I also installed a stage III 700R4 from Novak but if I could do it again would have installed 4L80 dana 300 combo, hard to get shift points right with 700R4, 4l80 (or something like that) all set up HP tuner and a laptop

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Ed. Assumed something like that but wanted to make sure. I went with BJs radiator with built in trans cooler. No rock crawling planned. Fire roads, getting back to camp, towing the dirtbikes/boat etc. is about it for me.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Laredo Matt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:26 am Thanks Ed. Assumed something like that but wanted to make sure. I went with BJs radiator with built in trans cooler. No rock crawling planned. Fire roads, getting back to camp, towing the dirtbikes/boat etc. is about it for me.
Good Luck on your project Matt